A little burned out now. Needed Roto Rooter. There goes the profit!

Kitty39
Level 2
Ponchatoula, LA

A little burned out now. Needed Roto Rooter. There goes the profit!

After 6 months it has been a mostly ok experience with no big issues until the last group.

i was definitely too nice by allowing a dog (that I knew about) and a cat (which I didn’t)

but the young performers had come a long way so I didn’t turn them away.

4 adults stayed for 6 weeks and never cleaned up after the dog or the cat.

i had to spend $300 to have the house cleaned thoroughly before the next guests arrived.

i had only 2 days to get things cleaned up.

New guests arrive and they called next morning. Toilet overflowed 😬

I had to have emergency plumbing that cost me another $285

so this profit was eaten up.

Turns out I never thought to ask 2 young women not to put sanitary products in the toilet. That was the problem. So this group cost me a bunch😬

Lukily new guests were very gracious about the toilet!

i need a break from this!

5 Replies 5
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kitty39

Most people you come across in life seem to be level headed responsible people.

It is not until you host that you realise nearly all of them are morons and seem to get through life in spite of their brain, not because of it.

Kitty, when you word your listing description do it in conjunction with a stranger! Someone who does not know you or your lifestyle. Things that seem 'bleedin' obvious to you will be seen totally differently by someone not familiar with you or your surroundings!

Everything you do or supply you have to weigh up the positives and the negatives. Look for articles, utensils that are as 'idiot proof' as possible. Don't give them a toaster with adjustable settings on it because, if you do, they will set the house on fire....or at the very least set off the smoke alarms, or complain that the toast is not cooking properly!

Give them as smaller serves as possible! It is always better to have to clean up a half a litre container of milk they knocked off the kitchen bench than a 2 litre container.

Of course they are going to put sanitary products down the toilet....it's not their toilet that will block up....it is yours.

Make your listing as robust and durable as possible Kitty because, as Murphy's Law says....'What can go wrong will go wrong' and this is so true of hosting.

But then again maybe Patrick's Law is nearer the truth.....Patrick thought Murphy was an optimist!! 

Cheers......Rob

Kitty39
Level 2
Ponchatoula, LA

Robin! So right you are!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kitty39

We have this laminated sign above the toilets. I draw it myself .

donotflushl-mala.png

@Branka-and-Silvia0

I thought I saw somewhere where  you ammended and added to that sign Branka....

Flushable sign 222.png

Cheers.......Rob

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I recently bought one of these. No more hiring a plumber to unclog drains. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-115-Volt-K-45AF-AUTOFEED-Drain-Cleaning-Machine-with-C-1-5-16-in-...