A local guest left a hand gun under the bed?

Bernadette82
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

A local guest left a hand gun under the bed?

I am really beginning to wonder if this is worth it. My guest was a local. He rang my doorbell and was instant booked only 25 minutes prior. I was in the pool and the kids answered the door. I immediately checked my phone and it was an instant book. So I let him around into the room. After they checked out when I moved the futon to vacuum under it there was a pink cloth bag and inside was a small 22 hand gun. He never responded to my text with the phone number he left on Airbnb when he was here and still hasn't. I don't think it was his number. I am not opposed to guns, but having a stranger in my home with a weapon is weighing on my mind. I'm not sure why they rented but I seem to be having problems with locals. I don't want to rent to them but don't know how to weed them out. Now a gun....hmmm. 

27 Replies 27
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I am really unfamiliar with gun laws in America, but doesn't he have to keep it in a secure locked place? I would report it to the police.

ha. Ha. Ha.

No.

Cry. Cry. Cry. 

No he doesn’t maybe contacting him before jumping to “call the police” it’s a pistol not a bloody lead pipe. 

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

@Bernadette82 Go to your profile and make sure that you set your lead time to at least 24hrs. That way at the very least you get to message him ahead of time and find out what his mission is. I won’t rent to locals. You can call Airbnb after a local has instant booked and tell The, you’re uncomfortable with it and they will cancel for you, hopefully.

That hasn’t stopped illegal activities for me, since Airbnb doesn’t criminal background check everyone, but I require a two day lead time before check in for this and other reasons. 

Now, what the hell do you do with a weapon that’s not registered in your name? I think I’d turn it in to the police. 

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi  @Bernadette82

Jess (sorry can't seam to tag?) has really good advice here.

24 hours in advance at least for instant book (you can still have the option for same day, but they have to request first so you can avoid suprises!)

Weeds out alot of iusses, same day bookings (especially locals) often have a bad rep.

If guns are an  issue for you, could you put an extra rule saying no guns on your property? (Maybe worded to stay nuetral in your uniquely amerian debate over guns, " you don't provide correct storage in the room therefor would like to keep them off the property"?)

Also yeah, dropping off the gun at a police station is a good shout.

Loiuse, try as I might, I cannot find where you can set 24 hrs in advance for instant book only.  Could you tell me where you found that?  Thank you.

By instituting a “Gun Free” area all you will do is ostracize legal gun owners and it will do nothing to “weed out” the illegal weapons as you surely know they do not follow the rules or laws. Just my opinion but I would choose somewhere else to stay and you will still end up with the bad tenants. 

Thank you. I did change the 24 hour lead time. Finally found that control. Even if I did state 'no guns allowed', it was a concealed weapon and there is no way to check if a guest has a gun. If you have a CCW permit you are allowed to carry one and conseal it. There just wouldn't be a way for me to know if anyone is actully carring one unless I see it or find it by accident. I really do not want to rent to locals, they have been nothing but trouble for me. 

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bernadette82

I would call the police explaining exactly what happened and asking them to come and collect the gun.

I would also report to Airbnb

and text the guest telling them to go and collect the gun at XX police station.

Thank you but the police doesn't make house calls for that. I would have to drop it off. 

We just had our housekeeping service find a gun under the pillow at one of our properties.  We phoned the police, and they did in fact come out and pick up the weapon.  

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Bernadette82  I would turn it over to the police. My guess is he has concealed carry and just accidentally left it.  Stupid, yes! Some guests are not the brightest light bulbs out there ;D. He can retrive it at the police department with registration information and proof of purchase/ownership. It does not even require an in person deal it can all be done via internet at least in the US.

Yes it was a concealed gun. Called him back and he came to get it in a hurry. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Another gun discussion! You crazy Yanks! (sorry, I'll probably get in trouble for that). @Bernadette82, maybe you should put on your house rules that weapons aren't permitted. I know I wouldn't want someone I don't know with a gun in my home with my kids! Definitely take it to the police.