A local guest without a photo booked 3 days on Thanksgiving Weekend, and now wants to see inside.

Franceska1
Level 2
Carmel Highlands, CA

A local guest without a photo booked 3 days on Thanksgiving Weekend, and now wants to see inside.

Someone booked without a photo and just "Thank you" after booking.

I had to ask a few questions to know the information regarding her 5 adult booking for 3 days over the holiday which she said was a 3 adult 2 children booking. She also wants to add more.

All of my bookings require a photo but she seemed to get away with that part.

She said she has driven by a couple of times and now wants to go inside to see the house, I have over 60 photos and full descriptions.

Anyway, wondering what you would do and if I should be mellow around this inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Super Hostess

9 Replies 9
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Franceska1 . I might be tempted to use the "uncomfortable with this guest" card to cancel. Does she live locally? Why is she stalking your house? This is a bit creepy and is certainly unusual behavior, at least at my listing.

I so appreciate your quick response. I agree, it is uncomfortable...I wouldn't and haven't minded when friends of friends wish to see for their possible upcoming guests...but this one already has the flags being raised. 1. No Photo 2. Not correct guest information 3. Driving by several times 4. Asking to see the interior

However, as a Super Host I do not wish to cancel. Not sure... Thanks Susan!

@Franceska1 You shouldn't loose your SuperHost status under these circumstances unless you make a habit of being "uncomfortable." Of course, we all know that AirBNB can "punish" us while ignoring their own TOS, so I understand your caution.

But, what are the chances that someone like this will be happy and leave you a good review?

Posting this situation first to the Hosts who understand gives me more broadband so to speak to inquire with Airbnb. Thank you for your prompt input.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Franceska1, wow, far too many red flags for me. Living locally is the first one - why is she booking a place if she lives locally? No photo, poor communication, false information, driving by... I mean, it might be completely innocent (maybe she is just looking for a nice place for family/friends for weekend) but even if it is all legit, she's got trouble written all over her - driving by and asking to preview the house??? She's probably one of those guests that will complain about everything the minute she gets there and then leave you a bad review. I'd be calling Airbnb on this one...

Isn't it true that the fussiest get fussier?

Thank you for taking the time to respond  as the hive support is so helpful.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Franceska1   Ya thats a weird one.... maybe just respond with "unfortunately we can not accommodate a walk through due to _____. Our photos and description provide an accurate reflection of what we offer. " 

I do not find it odd that she is a local. We get A LOT of local people rent our space. But wanting to come see the inside before her stay is a bit odd.

Good points Kaylee, thank you. Its probably the combination of the asks and not returning the favor such as accurately assessing guests, & not posting a guest photo. I will remind her of the photos which I actually keep updated monthly when I add ir subtract window coverings etc. My housecleaner photographs each time she is complete which incidentally was helpful when a large blue agate sculpture disappeared. Made no difference ultimately with the guests who took but the evidence is there.

sigh.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Franceska1 Definitely weird especially since you have so many pictures.

I would tell her it's not possible to view the house due to scheduling conflicts and guest privacy. (don't elaborate, you don't owe an explanation)

I would then tell her if there's something specific she's looking for in the house you would be happy to answer any questions because the 60 photos you provide in the listing accurately portray the inside.

If she still gives you bad vibes, as others have said, call Airbnb and tell them you're not comfortable.