A lot of guests are throwing parties in my apartment.

Becky345
Level 2
New York, US

A lot of guests are throwing parties in my apartment.

I've noticed that a lot of guests that book my apartment throw parties or smoke marijuana. I have a no smoking policy, of course and have even resorted to printing out the house rules and taping it up to the fridge with signs that say no smoking of any sorts. I also state explicitly that there is no parties or events allowed and that I can monitor the people coming in through the security camera outside the door. 

I have self check in and these guests either only put 1 guest checking in or something within the guest limit. They even answer my pre-booking message saying only 1 or 2 guests are staying. Then in the middle of the night they'll bring tons of guests in. So even if I do meet them at the door only some will show up to check in and they'll sneak in the guests later on. What can else can I do? It's so stressful having to check the security cameras around the clock and to smell the marijuana when we clean and throughout the building. I've had my bedsheets ruined, towels horribly stained and even broken closet door. 😞 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Do the trouble makers tend to be the ones that book for only one night? If so could you increase your minimum t say 3 nights?

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

We also have people booking for parties due to our location.

Agree that two night booking requirement definitely reduces the chances of a party. We have also  set instant booking requirement for government ID and this seems to have reduced the number of troublesome guests.

There is some technology available that can  detect tobacco smoke, noise and the number of devices connected to your wifi. We haven't installed anything yet as the situation seems to be under control. 

Yes, I've recently set IB requirement for gov. ID and good reviews from host. Maybe looking into technology that detects tobacco smoke will be good also. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Becky345 @Tony-And-Una0 @Mike-And-Jane0 

Our insurer (proper) recently introduced a premium discount if you install these:

https://noiseaware.io/

They are super-easy to set up. They will send you an alert if a certain decibel threshold is hit (or if they are disconnected). Be sure to disclose them in your "surveillance devices" section (as well as your camera!)

Thanks Lisa

Have you had any alerts yet since installing it? 

I am guessing if the potential guests are aware of it  before booking, it would act as a deterrent and they may not book , which can only be a good thing.