A more INCLUSIVE Airbnb? LGBTIQ, Racial Diversity etc

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

A more INCLUSIVE Airbnb? LGBTIQ, Racial Diversity etc

Hi All,

The Airbnb community of Hosts, Guests & Staff are fantastically diverse and a lovely mix of the human condition. Yet of recent times, there has been growing concern over the known and unknown biases inherent in the platform (made up of tech and humans). Only the other day did Brian Chesky note this was a concern they will be investigating.

I appreciate it has been discussed on the old Group platform, but personally I've changed my mind (of late) so thought I'd bring the discussion up again.

What do other Airbnbers think about enabling Hosts to actively share that they are 'XXX Friendly' as a category of your listing? Historically I've been of the mindset of 'well, I am open to all and everyone on Airbnb SHOULD be' so had felt adding this wasn't necessary.

Now that the community is SO large (no longer for just early adopters) we are attracting more conservative types... this issue is certainly becoming more prominent. I'd happily highlight the fact we host people from all walks of life if this gives new Airbnbers additional confidence and comfort when planning their travels.

I think it's time for some tangible change here. Airbnb needs to step up and lead - the vast majority of the Hosts are ready.

What are your thoughts?

(PS - I hope I worded this correctly and apologise if my wording isn't 100% spot on relating to starting this discussion)

Thanks,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

36 Replies 36

@Sandra126

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

Yes, I've thought of doing that - my hubby wont pose for a photo - he's a bit naff like that, and you're right in that I don't wish to send a false message either.

I've done the rainbow thing on my FB page in the past, currently having a rainbow with Marriage Equality for All across it, but I digress. FB isn't Airbnb.

I've ended up 'stealing' Pauls lovely wording and adding it to my discription. I would never have even thought of the issue at all; however, my daughter and her partner recently stayed with us (they flew out from the UK), and mentioned in passing that it was always a bit scary when they booked in at a new BnB. They like to travel every chance that they get. The reactions of people when they discover two woman sharing a bed in THEIR home...

I realised then, I'd always been cautious when I'd travelled alone as a young woman (a long, long time ago now), but I'd never had to battle the fear of possible abuse or worse because of my sexuality. It really hit home for me then. I suppose it does when it effects your child.

Again, very grateful to Paul for bringing it up, and yourself for your input.

Kindest regards,

Debs.

Loving the Airbnb Community❣

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️
Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

While I don't think a badge or category is the way to go on the Airbnb platform, I do think it is a courtesy and option to state that you are XXX friendly.  In the description of my properties, I have posted that we are LGBTQ friendly, and I experienced, not just an uptick in our reservations, but personal thank yous as well.  

I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know the trepidation some folks feel in booking a place to stay until Gay Pride here last year.  I watched a commercial on TV in which two women were talking about how hard is was for them to select a safe place for them to stay.  I immediately added this comment to our listings and saw an almost immediate change.  That was proof enough for me that something more should be said.  I just prefer for it to not be compulsory.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am very sad to hear that! I have never been to Portland, but I would have thought it a safe and good place. Maybe not so?

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I agree that tagging every possible option would be both exhausting and not super-effective.

However, I can see the point in having something...I just don't know what shape that takes.

I've lived in some pretty conservative areas of the US. The kinds of places were blacks are asked to "move along". It's messed up, and shouldn't happen but does.

Hosts should be able to decide who they have in their homes, but guests shouldn't be in a position where they need to ask for approval for who they are to get lodging. Where I live now is a mix of progressives and some pretty fringe right wing folks - it's also becoming more of a vacation destination among the LGBT crowd. I don't imagine many Michigan Militia folks are renting out their places (too close to their arms bunker for comfort), but having a beacon that says "you're welcome here" would help a guest discern which hosts need guests who fit a certain profile (and maybe at that point you have a discussion to see what that profile is), and which hosts are happy to take your money and not give a rip about the color of your skin or who you sleep with.

Jacqui10
Level 1
Altona, Australia

Hey everyone,

Interesting conversation about how we as a group welcome others into our homes.  Whilst I actually don't agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion (discrimination is not an opinion). I think this is a very important conversation. 

For those of us who’s homes are open to anyone who has a great review or comes across as a great person I want to make sure that I present a profile and listing that presents as inclusive not tolerant or intolerant. I don't want the language that I use as a cis-female to impede on that interpretation.

So perhaps the conversation actually is about checking the language that we use and making sure that the impression we give our potential guests is the one we want to give them not what we think reads ‘right’.

@Paul0, maybe we could make this a topic at our next meet up.  How to use language effectively?

Thanks everyone

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

@Jacqui10 - happy to discuss it here and at our next meetup! It's an interesting one to tackle. 🙂

Irene57
Level 2
Port Charlotte, FL

I find myself more nervous about taking in young people with small children than any minority group. The point is we all have our

preferences for whatever reasons. As a senior single woman, most would say this is risky business. However my hosting experiences have been awesome.  If hosts find it helpful to make a note of xxxfriendly that is their perogative but i dont think it should be an official airbnb option or requirement. 

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Irene57,

Our individual circumstances and preferences must take precendence in our Airbnb Hosting experience - no argument at all there and fully support you. What I am talking about is that if someone elses 'preferences for whatever reasons' includes a disgusting stance on gender, race, religion, sexuality (etc etc) then as an Airbnb Hosting community shouldn't we want them gone too?

Having met (online and IRL) so many great Hosts, it is abundantly clear that that 99.9% of all Airbnb Hosts are supremely tolerant but at 0.1% of 2.5M Listings is 25,000 people (Airbnb IS BIG) and with alternative platforms, specific examples and even discussion of class actions happening in the media - I think it's worth discussing in greater detail.

My simple solution at this point is to include a simple sentence in our listing. "We #hostwithpride and happily welcome diverse & amazing people from all over the world... just like you!"

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

How about a tag to indicate that a host does NOT want LGBTIQ, minorities, Obama supporters, gun law lobbyists, etc. Let such hosts tick off the boxes, and then when no one books with them they will go away.

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

@Michele39 - achieves the outcome I'm keen on! 🙂

@Paul0, well, we might find that it achieves a different outcome: Travelers who are like-minded will book with those folks. Although it might rub against the grain for those of us who practice acceptance, it will help isolate those travelers/hosts with the same beliefs.

The fact remains that for a host, it is their house, and they retain the right to refuse acceptance to guests they don't want staying there. I personally don't fall into any of the minority groups mentioned earlier in this post, but as a divorced woman who usually travels alone, I've occasionally stayed at places (not on Airbnb) where I was forced to listen to a speech about the sanctity of marriage over my morning coffee (by a Christian B&B owner), or asked point-blank why I don't have a husband (by a Muslim hotelier). These people were, in their own minds, trying to be helpful, or at least trying to understand something outside their usual experience. It wasn't terribly offensive, just kind of annoying when I was trying to relax in peace.

With regard to such behaviors, I would much rather that a host state up front something like "Christian household" or "Muslim household". Even though it might seem discriminatory, I would appreciate knowing that ahead of time so I could decide for myself whether I wanted to stay there.

And these statements might serve as a polite code for "LGBTIQ might not want to stay here". Again, it would be about choice. And there are always plenty of other places for LGBTIQ/minority guests to stay. A listing that specifies something like this would mean more bookings for the rest of us.

Oh @Paul0, I love that sentence. Would you mind if I copy/paste that to my listing please?

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Go for it @Deborah82! 🙂

@Paul0. Thank you!

Thank you Paul, I like your inclusive sentence. On my page I simply say LGBTQ welcoming but I like your sentence better because it is more inclusive. 

I will adopt your sentence. 

Phyllis

Escondido, Calif