A new family tradition

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

A new family tradition

superhosts (1).png

Hi everyone,

One of the most inspiring things about the Airbnb Superhost community is hearing you share your stories—stories about how you got started hosting, your favorite connections with guests, your unique ideas for delivering meaningful hospitality. We loved hearing how Superhosts Tsuneto-san and Akiko-san fell in love with hosting and think you will too!

After retiring from internal medicine, the last thing Tsuneto-san expected to do was start a second career.

“It actually wasn’t my idea,” Tsuneto-san jokes. “Four years ago, my son picked up hitchhikers and dropped them off at my house. They came out of nowhere, but we didn’t think twice and made dinner for everyone. It was a truly wonderful experience.”

Soon after, Tsuneto-san and his wife, Akiko-san, decided to start hosting on Airbnb. “Our first few guests were fantastic people, and we couldn’t stop hosting.” Within a year, Tsuneto-san and his wife, Akiko-san, became Superhosts, earning a glowing review from virtually every guest. One guest writes: “They went above and beyond to make us welcome—so much so that I feel like I have left family behind.”

Tsuneto-san and Akiko-san have since maintained Superhost status for thirteen consecutive quarters. The key to their success? The past.

“As a physician, I would always strive to be kind to others,” Tsuneto-san says. “Raising a family, I would make sure everyone was happy and healthy. Now, we treat travelers as if they are our children or grandchildren.”

Having lived in Japan from World War II to 2018, Tsuneto-san says the hardest part about hosting is speaking English. But when it comes to making people feel welcome, a language barrier is no barrier after all.

“Hosting requires hospitality, not English skill. You can host, and see the world, and make a positive impact on the world, no matter what language you speak.”

Have your own story to tell? We can’t wait to read about your hosting journey. Share your thoughts and get to know your fellow hosts in the thread below.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

12 Replies 12
Jessa-Gail0
Level 1
Western Visayas, Philippines

Being guest centric and also genuinely concerned are key to hosting with a heart. When it is genuine, it resonates. My parents are retired and are airbnb hosts. It is the little things with love and attention that has kept us as Superhosts despite not having any background with this kind of work. 

Rob21
Level 1
Niseko, Japan

Good thing they hosted now. AirBnB is dead in Japan after 15 June 2018. Doubt these folks will even attempt to try and register their place under the ridiculous new rules/procedures. AirBnB is dead in Japan. AirBnB should warn their guests to expect 90% less listings next month! Bad news for travelers.

Unfortunate news for Japanese Hosts and visiting Guests, spending time together.

I've been concerned for Hawaii, that Airbnb would be put to rest. However, I guess the Ever Growing Cost of the New Rail System gives our government hope of putting Airbnb taxation toward the project.

Thanks for the info.  That’s too bad 

What do you mean?

Why dead? We here in Taiwan also cannot receive the money using Western Union after June 2018

Why is Airbnb Dead in Japan? What's the NewcRules/Procedure? 

Teddy16
Level 1
Burgas, Bulgaria

“Hosting requires hospitality, not English skill. You can host, and see the world, and make a positive impact on the world, no matter what language you speak.” Those words of Akiko-san i Tsuneto-san inspired me to write, too. It was inconceivable at first to welcome strangers to my home. I thank my cousin who lives in England for recommending me in Airbnb. And now I welcome the strangers as part of my family. I am happy to prepare meals for everyone, do them therapies - to feel better, laugh and have fun together! It's really wonderful! Thank you, dear people! Welcome to Bulgaria!

David-and-Rosângela0
Level 2
Matosinhos, Portugal

We Loved Reading your inspirational story, we are also Super Hosts, and not to long ago  about 2 years ago, we did not know what Airbnb was, Recently Got Married Valentines Day 2017, we were on our 1st Honey Moon in Holland, but we had a bad experience as they had put us on a Disabled Room in Hotel Ibis in Utrecht  and we wanted for 4 nights, but we could only book for 1 night. So while speaking with my Mum in the USA, she Mentioned Airbnb, so I looked into it, my Wife was a sleep, I stayed up all night. Finally found a place instant booking, To cut this story short, We had also a really bad Experience as Guests, and because we both have worked in and have Hospitality experience  we said to one another, we can do better, so we turned our Home into Airbnb, and we did do better. We had made so much wonderful connections, and we are enjoying this Lifestyle so much, thank you for sharing. 

With Love 

David & Rosângela 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie

That's a nice story. It certainly makes me want to stay with Tsuneto-san and Akiko-san if I am ever in their neck of the woods!

I don't think hosting is for everyone, as not everyone is comfortable opening their home to strangers, but for those that are, it can be a very rewarding experience. When I started, it was only supposed to be a temporary stop gap. I had no idea that nearly two years later I'd still be doing it.

I have met lots of lovely people and one of my favourites was my first guest from Japan. Unfortunately, I dont' get to see most of them again because coming to London is often a once in a lifetime experience, or because they leave it too late to book again and I am full! There's one guest who would come almost every week if she could but I never have the availability by the time she knows her plans.

However, a really vibrant and fun guest came to stay with me for a week. She then came back a few months later for 10 days and it really felt like welcoming a friend back. She plans to come again as soon as she is able. 

I also had two fantastic long term guests (3.5 and 4 month stays) whom I count as friends. One has already been back to vist and the other is coming again very soon. These are not repeat Airbnb guests because they do not need to book and pay to come and stay here. I see them as friends now and am just happy to have the chance to catch up with them.

fefe

온유-Onyu-0
Level 1
South Korea

I had been accomodated to Tsuneto San's house on Feb 2017. It was beyond accomodation. They treated me really like a family.