A nightmare! Alert to hosts on the Alteration Request Help Page! Red Earth Ranch Westcliffe Colorado

Tonda-And-Joe0
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

A nightmare! Alert to hosts on the Alteration Request Help Page! Red Earth Ranch Westcliffe Colorado

Red Earth Ranch in Westcliffe, Colorado

A Guest Nightmare!

Time prohibits me to cut and paste the issue. I'm frantic to clean and make ready for our next guests arriving today.

You can find it on the Alteration Request Help Page.

I will be doing a follow up in its entirety at a soon future date.

DO NOT APPROVE GUEST LEAH B. out of Kellyville, Oklahoma

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Tonda-And-Joe0

Nobody on here can see an alteration request page.

David
Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

What's the issue?! @Tonda-And-Joe0 I actually have a guest coming up who is also from Kellyville OK. Coincidence? Scam? 

@Colleen47 it seems like airbnb automatically set a guest location as Kellyville, OK, unless they manually update it if they are a new user.

@Farah1 Thanks for the heads up! I do have several people from OK that visit but never knew there would be a default location. Good to know. Thanks

@Colleen47 you're welcome! One of the questions I always ask to future guests before approving a request is where they're from. So, if there's a discrepancy, I'll ask further question and ask them to update the profile.

Tonda-And-Joe0
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you AirBnB Community for all the help and support.

We managed to pay for extra help to get our home back in order before our next guests arrived last night. Everything is working out fairly well. All we lost was the extra cost involved to hire help to rectify the problem, some ruined linens and a great deal of time putting the place back together. The heavy equipment needed to regrade the yard areas and driveway is still yet to be determined, as we're still accessing. And the possible fines placed on us for the neighbor complaints with HOA.

We arrived the next day after our guests checked in, to find the following issues as we pulled up to our home. 

No one was at the house, and the text I received soon after from our guest Leah was that the family was at the lake.

Parked in the yard was a camper, 3 motorcycle type mini bikes, a side by side 4 wheeler.

The doors to the home were standing open, I was greeted by 2 chipmunks running OUT of the house.

Furniture, decor and beds were moved creating more sleeping space for quite a few more than my 2 adults 1 infant expected guests.

Wet towels and clothing for over 20 people were lying in piles with backpacks, suitcases, shoes, toys, cpap machines...etc.

Crockpots were cooking plugged into the bathrooms, in the kitchen, into the outside deck electrical outlets. Food for many.

A basketball goal was attached to my bathroom door and I counted over 5 fans in the house in windows blowing trying to dry the furniture and clothing, wet towels and clothing on my wood floors.

Every bed appeared to have been slept in, on, even the extra bedding for toddler blow up beds and sleeping bags were out.

Kitchen, dining room and common room were disaster areas. Wet clothing and towels on the cloth furniture. 

My patio and deck furniture were all moved in a pile to make room for the shooting gallery.

Rifle and bullets on my deck, where there was shooting off the deck at my well head drum. They'd removed my well head, set it up in the front yard, and was using it for target practice. The shooting was aimed toward the road in the direction of my neighbors across the street.

I took pics of everything as I was walking around.

That's when Leah and some of her family members showed up.

I remained calm, introduced myself and listened as she was introducing some extended family members. I told her I was more than a little shocked to find so many people here. 

Leah said' "Oh, it's ok. There was a big rain storm the night before and everyone ended up at the house."

So I'm thinking, "Oh, it's ok to charge you then for the minimum of a full house of 12.

I asked them to start cleaning and did they read the house rules for where to put the used towels and linens and to make sure there were none left on the wood floors, to keep the doors closed to keep the critters out side, and NO SHOOTING!

The largest issue I had to talk about was that there would be no more shooting! 

"We might be in the country but I live in an HOA subdivision with retired sheriff officer next door." As it turned out, my across the street neighbors had already turned us in for the shooting, all the extra 7-8 vehicles, people and noise from the motorcycles etc.  

OBVIOUSLY, THIS WAS A PRE PLANNED EVENT FOR A HUGE FAMILY GATHERING.

I WAS AFRAID TO CONFRONT THEM OPENLY, AS I'M NEW TO THIS AND UNSURE OF THEIR RIGHTS VS. OUR RIGHTS??? 

LEAH WAS OUR FIRST SET OF GUESTS THAT WERE NOT FAMILY HELPING US WITH A TRIAL RUN. WE"RE BUMMED!

@Tonda-And-Joe0

omg 😞  I hope you have all the pictures and you did make a resolution claim for additional cleaning and additional people stay before your next guests arrived.

It would be good idea to conect with your neighbour , give him your phone number and ask him to call you in case of any problematic guests. Outdoor surveilance cameras would be good idea too as well as asking and taking a picture of photo ID from all your guests on check in (you have to put it in your house rules as mandatory)

I hope you will be able to sort out everything with your neighbours and HOA.