A question for French hosts and guests

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A question for French hosts and guests

If you're a Superhost, or aiming to be one, or probably just trying to do your best as a host, you will know how your heart can sink each time you receive a 4 star review, especially as it seems to take so many 5 star reviews to recover from one.

Luckily, I don't get too many 4 star reviews, but a disproportionate percentage of them come from French guests. It has come to the point where everytime I host someone French, I brace myself for that 4 stars, regardless of how much they seemed to enjoy their stay. When you check up on them during their stay, they always say everything is perfect and they don't need anything else, but then complain about stuff in their feedback that you could have sorted out for them.

It happened again with the French couple who stayed this week. They seemed to be very happy here, we had lots of nice chats and when I checked up on them, they said everything was great. They wrote a charming note with little pictures in my guest book saying they would love to stay again, a very nice message thanking me after they left and a positive review, but gave me 4 stars overall. The only feedback was that I could have turned the heating up a bit. If they had mentioned it, I would have!!

My question is, do the French just not give 5 stars? Is this a cultural thing? Also, why won't they tell you if they are not happy with something when you ask them if there's anything else they need? It's not like the French are particularly shy! Sorry to generalise about a particular nationality, but I seem to experience this with almost every French guest. I'm trying to remember one that left me 5 stars and can't.

I don't want to stop hosting French people, so what can I, and other hosts, do to get that all important 5 star rating from our French guests? Help!

68 Replies 68
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0

Lol. Now that would have been a good reply!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Booking.com review system is better you can see what the guest has wrote before you reply which I think you answer honestly to them not having to guess what they might have said

Ricardo309
Level 6
La Chapelle-des-Pots, France

Thanks to Cultural Education! French learn a little too much to criticize since their younger age.... The worst is, it sounds more intelligent to some of them to have noticed something to say.... My apologies for my compatriots!

Personnally whenever I take a star out of my host I mentioned it to them first and it has to have very good reason.... Late arrivals (more than one hour waiting in my car for the host to arrive (because she went for a party with friends...) no facilities for parking area and I had to turn 15 minutes arounds the blocks to find a place and walked a lot to get to the place or big party going on until 2:00 am...

Lately Airbnb took out my average for no obvious reasons I wonder if they don't cream out bad comments to avoid returns....  In any case, I try to promote a clear comment review whenever a star is taken out...  It helps us getting better!

Back to your sensation! Best could be to mention directly to our guest how important stars are for us.... Funny thing I can't do it myself! I kept heart broken sensation mostly when I had good fun an laugh with my critical guests! So I share your fear... and you know what? Living in France we have even more French visitors than you have... Shall we ask Airbnb a special note for French users?

Levana3
Level 1
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

Guests who usually give me a hard time are French. It is not like I do not want to host them anymore, but I would definitely want to know if this is a cultural thing or something else. I had a very depressing moment with a French couple which put me then in a bad mental state.

Elvira163
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

I was relieved reading this as I even specifically searched about French people. Absolutely agree, only people who are leaving 4 star reviews for my place are French. Funniest part, they always ask for extra. My very first guests who were French left me 4 star review-after I gave them discount, then they asked for early check-in which I also gave for free, I left them chocolates and all other extra, and then they arrived and they had one more person than what they stated -which we normally charge extra and we didn't, then they left the place very dirty, left lots of rubbish, and also took my towels - then they left 4 star review saying it was not good enough value. I allowed all this because they were my first guests and I told them this and therefore I went beyond and above for them. Then again, another French guest, asked for discount (which I gave), asked to put for extra chair and extra other stuff which I bought for them, and then asked for 7.00 am early check-in (8 hours early) which I couldn't because of other guests checking out 11.00 am but allowed them to check in at 12.30  which is 2.5 hours earlier and guess what? Again its them again leaving 4 star...unbelievable. I am noticing the trend that the more things the guests ask, and the more I accomodate, its actually them who are always not happy and giving low rating for value. 

What do other hosts do? Do you notice the same? 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Elvira163,

Always be very cautious, when dealing with hagglers (or lowering your price, beyond to what you’re comfortable with)!

I hardly ever give discounts (and only, when I feel comfortable with this).

Haggling is about the biggest red flag, there is. Especially, when the guest is new to Airbnb.

Usually the end-result is: They will treat your place as if it was a hotel (messy). And they will almost certainly leave a lower rating (especially on value).

The basics of haggling is: They already think you are too expensive, for what is on offer. Before they even arrived, and experienced your place. Which is almost an insult to the host and/or his pricing.

Furthermore, whenever a guest is asking for a discount. At least 1 of both parties will not be happy with the potential agreement. Even before the stay commences.

Whenever you are allowing a guest an early check-in or a late check-out. Always make sure, they recognize you’re doing them a true favour!

And especially, when this is free of charge. The standard in the hospitality industry is, charge them for overstay!

And yes, there are cultural differences!

Elvira163
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you, this is really good answer. I have now decided that if people ask for extra which is not really stated in the listing, I would probably say no unless its smth minor, and generally would be good to improve the place overall. Thanks for the insight, it was good to know about hagglers and that there are these type of guests. 

Elvira163
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

One of these guests who gave 4 for cleanliness- I asked him to provide me the feedback so I can provide the feedback to the cleaner. The answer: the shampoo in the bathroom was a bit closer to the bedroom, and the knifes and forks could have been arranged better 🙂 I never thought that shampoo being close to bedroom would be an issue for any person and what is the right distance between shampoo in bathroom and the bedroom 🙂 This feedback made my day 🙂

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Sorry to hear about hosts having frustrating experiences with French guests. To balance the picture, I wanted to mention that I have a completely different experience. My 24 guests (I started in May/June) have really been from all over the  world. 3 have been French (all families with children), and they have been GREAT guests! Not much maintenance, and no surprise complaints after check out, all 5 stars and nice comments. 

I’ve had only one frustrating review/rating, and it was from a Spanish family. They were in Stockholm to visit their daughter, who lives in the next town, but works in Stockholm. My guest house is in a nice suburb to Stockholm, by the water, near a park, woods, a nice mall, several grocery stores, restaurants etc within walking distance. It is also on the train line between Stockholm and the town were the daughter lives, and the daughter would be joining them for part of their stay. You’d think it was the perfect location, and that they chose my house partly for the location, right? But no, they rated 3* for Location, with the following comment: «Everything was very clearly explained, but in public transport it takes a little while to reach».  Yes. It takes exactly the time I mention in several places in my listing, 16-20 min by train + 5 min by bus, both to city centre and to the airport. Why would you book a place outside the city centre, if this ISN’T what you want, and rate 3* for a location that is EXACTLY as described? 😏 But they gave me an overall rating of 5*, so it didn’t hurt me too bedly and I quickly forgave them. 😄