A question for all: Would you decorate your Airbnb house for Halloween?

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

A question for all: Would you decorate your Airbnb house for Halloween?

2017-09-06 12.18.11.jpg

Hello fellow hosts,

Halloween is coming soon and it is my favorite. I love buying Halloween toys and turning my house into a horror house. But if you have Airbnb

guests, would you still create a horror house? I just want to know what others would do and think...

98 Replies 98
DeLex0
Level 1
New York, NY

I have always decorated for every holiday extensively while hosting a shared apartment via Airbnb.  I think part of the fun of sharing a space for travelers is learning about American culture and everything we celebrate.  I do explain to people about the holiday and what the decorations are about (so they don't think I'm some crazy lady with 100 bunnies all over the house during Easter!) and everyone always loves it!  I do keep it in the common areas only, not in the guest room.  Enjoy, celebrate and share with your fellow travelers! Go for it!

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

LOL, my house is scary enough as it is. 😉

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Jiw0

Pics? 🙂

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Huaai0 Ok, pics..  😉  So this is any day of the year.

0bdf4bd4-ff78-4dca-9d2d-9a4574a9d7be.jpg

DSC06402.JPG

1Untitled.jpg

DSC06311.JPG

And across the lane:  

DSC06018.JPG

Admittedly those aren't the best pics, but it is what it looks like most of the time.   So I'm thinking twice before adding scary undead dolls to the living room sofa. 😉  And half my guests are Chinese anyway.  We do a little something for Christmas each year but that's more universal.    However.. let me see if we have some North Americans coming around that time.. 

EDIT.. AHA!! Yes... Americans are visiting on Halloween.. From Portland, Oregon.  Group of young white people so that's the perfect horror movie cliché right there.  So we could Halloween it up a little..  😄

LIsting:  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14601689 

I am NOT commenting @Jiw0

I'm just as bad!

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

I will decorate for Halloween but I wouldn't do a horror house hosting or not hosting.  Just not my halloween style but many people love that.  My halloween style is more little kid friendly - I have Linus waiting for the great pumpkin, Mickey Mouse pumpkin string lights, etc.  I like the little kids to want to come and not be afraid. 

@Allison116How's your home looking for Halloween?
Any special treats?

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

I would decorate the common space (livingroom, kitchen, patio, etc) but not guest bedrooms.

Also I will make sure to keep the decoration 'G' rating, nothing too extreme.

'Aw that is cute.' is what I am looking for, not 'Ahhhhhh that is.....ummmmm...'

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Kelly3  have you decorated your home in Seoul with Halloween decorations?

Do they decorate the shops in Korea?

Hi @Helen427 ,

I didn't do any Halloween decoration this year. I didn't feel my guests' demographic would like that.

They do decorate the shops, especially clubs and bars.

Carol13
Level 4
Salem, MA

I live in Salem Massachusetts. During the month of October it’s all about Halloween! I do have fall decorations in my house but only at the front door do I have a scary witch. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello, Boo, @Carol13  Do you have some photos to share?

Deana2
Level 2
cieneguita, Mexico

Hi

This is a great topic and my fortunate answer is ....kind of. I am in Mexico and Dia De Los Muertos is November 2nd and the 1st All Saints day so we decorate around those days which just happen to fall close to Halloween. Halloween is really becoming quite the celebration here in our part of Mexico as everyone loves to dress up BUT,  we keep the themes more around those images and traditions of Day of The Dead (Dia de Los Muertos) .

This is a very serious event here in Mexico and we pay respect to those family members and loved ones that are no longer with us. Supposedly the veil between life and death is at it's thinnest during these dates and the dead can more easily reach us at this time.

We make Ofrendas (offerings) where we put pictures of our loved ones, we add candles and marigolds to help them fund their way, we set out some of their favorite foods and drink and we spend the day picnicking with them. It's not a scary or morbid day. It's one to celebrate and to let them know,  we remember. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Deana2 how is your Halloween and other festivals going in Mexico?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Huaai0@Deana2@Carol13@Kelly3@Allison116@Kimberly54@Branka-and-Silvia0@Willow3@Linda-And-Richard0@Elaine141@Michelle574@Steve2743@Anne531@Barb17@Marzena4@Jann3@Robin129@DeLex0@Jiw0

I hope you are all good. 

Halloween has already been and gone, I just wondered if you decided to decorate you listing in the end or perhap did you dress up at all? I saw some very creative pumpkin decorations around my area, including a musical score themed design and a Jaw (the movie) design.

🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.