A time to rejoice

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

A time to rejoice

Wet Koala.png

Soaking rains up the East coast of Australia have brought an end to the bushfire crisis we have been experiencing.

Although a bit patchy much of the east coast has received between 30 to 150mm (1 1/4 to 6 inches) of rain, and more is forecast over the next few days. Not only has this managed to give firefighters the upper hand, in many areas this is the most significant rainfall in 3 years. It's not drought breaking but it gives the entire community optimism that it so badly needed. 

Rain at last 2.png

We here in South Australia are the only state to have missed out, but our state was not in the dire situation the eastern states were. We had a relatively good winter season and have in fact been sending convoys of stock fodder to the east to keep farmers viable over there.

There are a lot of happy people around the country at the moment and we so thank the world for their generosity in supporting this country in any way that you could.

Hopefully we will be able to repay the favour some day.

God bless you all.

Cheers.......Rob

21 Replies 21

@Robin4  So glad to hear about the rain, Rob. We've been so concerned for you and our Ozzie pals,  and all the wildlife suffering this devastation. 

Thinking of you, thanks for keeping us informed.

Sharyn-and-Colin0
Level 3
Yarram, Australia

Yes the rain has been wonderful Robin, it is a good start to help get these fires under control. My husband has been on the strike teams going to the East Gippsland fires and he said it has been truly gut wrenching what our area has been through. 

We are South Gippsland and have been affected by the flow on affect of these fires, with guest cancelling accommodation at many of your caravan parks, motels and guest houses leaving many towns in Gippsland like ghost towns. This should be our busy season and it has not. The media has not helped with constant air play of what has happened and naturally anyone travelling to this area dose not want to come, which is understandable.

I myself have had to talk guests into coming and staying and explaining yes we are Gippsland however we are no where near the fires. We have lived under a smoke cloud for months and our water supplies have been affected by the smoke and ash, however we are 2 hours drive and are safe from the fires. 

My husband and myself donated hay and also many other farms from this area to take a convoy of 17 semi's of hay to the East Gippsland area. We are also organising fencing at the moment to help build the kilometres of burnt fencing that insurance companies don't cover in this situation.

We lived through black Saturday 10 years ago, having the fire start on my parents property. Burning fences and sheds plus live stock and many houses in its path. However this one has been the worse so far.

We need everyone to come back to this area not just East Gippsland, but all of Gippsland and help us get through this tragedy.

Cheers Sharyn 

@Sharyn-and-Colin0 

Sharyn I am so glad the fires in Gippsland have not directly affected you but, I understand entirely what you are saying about the effect this will have on you commercially for some considerable time.

Kangaroo Island exists almost entirely on tourism and almost 3/4 of it has been burnt out. The Great Southern Lodge at Hanson Bay, one of the most exclusive accommodation venues in the country! Prices went from $1,800 per night to $4,000 per night has been totally destroyed.

As it was.......

GSL before.jpg

GSL before.after.jpg

What is left of it now........

GSL after.jpg

And all that Flinders Chase with it's tame wildlife that the tourists came to see....

5a-1.jpg

It could be the surface of the moon now.

The owners of the Great Southern Lodge say they will rebuild and they will be back in business within 2 years, much of the wildlife has been saved by volunteers and the whole Island community desperately hopes that the tourists will not desert them.

The Cudlee Creek fire did come within 5 Kms of us here in Mt Barker but was never going to be a threat to us personally and although I have had some bookings message and ask the state of things here I have not had any cancellations.

As I write this I do hear rain on the roof, maybe I won't have to water the garden today !!!

I hope all goes well for you and Colin, I would love to catch up some time on one of our regular trips to the east!

Cheers.......Rob  

I have heard about Kangaroo island as well. You won't believe this, the couple that owned the caravan park (not sure if there is more than one) are from Yarram. They left the island the day before the fire hit after they had evacuated all the guests.

@Sharyn-and-Colin0  It's stories like yours and your kindness towards others that are very touching.

The farmers and their animals need tender loving care and all emotional support, a hug goes a long way when seeing people going through trauma.

Thoughts are with you all across the Tasman Sea here in Auckland, New Zealand where the temperature is around 29degrees today, just like it was in the 1970's -1980's according to reliable sources.

I'm glad the Australians have not introduced those same silly regulations we have about fencing off Rivers and Streams as animals need water especially when there's fires and droughts.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm spending my last few days in Australia now, @Robin4 , having been here since early January.

While the weather hasn't been as I had expected, it's a small price to pay, and I can always come back. But as I took cover from the rain under a Melbourne bus stop a few days ago, I did think of the good it was doing elsewhere.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gordon0 

Yeah, what's that old saying Gordon, 'it's either a flood or a famine'!

I am sorry you had to seek that bus shelter, and this is something we often don't give a lot of thought to when we travel. The impact the weather might have. At this time of year you had the right to expect that typical Aussie clear skies and sunshine, and you have ended up with heavy smoke haze and, rain....... disappointing! 

None of us  can't accept responsibility for the fires or the weather Gordon but I hope you still managed to have a good holiday. All the best!

Cheers.......Rob