A weird inquiry

Anada0
Level 2
Mlini, Croatia

A weird inquiry

Hello everyone!

I have just received a weird inquiry, and I wonder if this is a new type of hoax, certainly feels like it...  Highly doubtable that someone would pay for something that they wouldn´t be using, but how can they make the scam, if payment runs through airbnb? That´s the part that I don´t quite get....The inquiry has come from a new airbnb account (Dec 2018), by a girl named Agata. Has anyone else had an inquiry like this? This is the text from her inquiry:

"We start business trips around the world, and in this case I'm looking for homeowners to make a good offer. My manager paid the rent, but I will not live there because I have a lot of work. And you give me a percentage of my reserve. We pay for all this through AIRBNB. Are you interested in such a proposal?
I can leave my contacts so that we can talk about everything.
We are looking for people for long-term cooperation.
We will book all available dates."

Thanks for some feedback,

Kind regards,

Anada

3 Replies 3
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

The scam comes with her asking for the percentage back, @Anada0. You won't get the booking fees - the credit card she uses will be fake - but you won't know that until after you have sent her the percentage kickback she is asking for.

Say no, decline, and flag the account.

Thank you, Lawrene, that´s also what I figured... in the meanwhile, apparently someone else has already flagged the account, it has been removed already...

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Anada0

I've seen a number of requests similar to this.

Sounds great doesn't it , you get paid - they get a cut, listing is free from guests or can be even re-booked, everyone's a winner it seems. They might even ask you to raise the price somewhat for the cherry on the top.

Ok, so the deal is they book the place. They ask you (or harass you slightly, more likely )to transfer (or hand over cash) very rapidly indeed, see time is of the essence now.

In the end the credit card turns out to be stolen, bought from a student leaving the UK (for example) or obtained and used in an invalid way, time you are notified about this they have long since vanished with the money you have handed over. You don't get a payment.That's the sting.