ADVICE getting guest body odor out of the room

Becky19
Level 2
Champaign, IL

ADVICE getting guest body odor out of the room

(Hosting over 1.5 yrs now) I initially brought the issue up to airbnb because I know some cultures or personal beliefs and rare conditions cause some people to have accsessive body odor. After two days I noticed a guest staying for two weeks, had serious issues with his body odor. Airbnb gave and suggested to me and gave a compensation (because I said I don't know how to address the issue without being rude etc) to buy essentials like deoterant to place in the bathroom for all guests. I showed it to the guest...but no change. I did wash his sheets during his stay saying it was a complimentary thing I do.....but after two weeks, guest left yesterday at 12pm and I have washed the walls, floors all the bedding twice litterally everything. So, any advice on how to get the odor out, I did just put a plate of backing soda and candles and its been over 24 hours af trying to rid the smell, window open with fan blowing, fabric spray, at least 6 times on everything. I Have done everything I can think of to rid the smell and it hasn't left so I now have a plate of baking soda, and  a 4th candle in the room and have had 3 other people check and said yes it smells awful still, but I will say it has for my nose gotten better from a 10/10 to a 5/10...but to everyone else its a 10/10 of bad smell. I NEED TIPS on odor remover and how do I leave an honest review I don't want to be rude but other hosts shouldn't have to go through this and the guest should not be made to be ashamed of something he perhaps has a condition...or maybe he doesn't know but how could he not??? 

13 Replies 13
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

@Becky19, Is the room carpeted? 

My suggestion is this: Wash all cloth (sheets, comforter, mattress pad)  in vinegar and cold water. If you have a rug cleaner, then use vinegar and hot water in the rug cleaner. If you have tile or wood, wash in cold water and vinegar. Wipe down wood and walls with 1/4 cup vinegar to 1 gallon water - It works wonders!

I have had this issue with family that had issues with bathing (my older in-laws only shower once per week). It wonders!

PS: Do NOT increase vinegar thinking it will do more good... it will just leave a smell and residue. 1/4 cup to 1 gallon is enough.

@Becky19 - How did it go?  I had a mouse die in a wall... that was bad. I knew where it was so I poured borax and salt down the wall and bought a bag of white rocks from home depot - "The Gonzo: Odor Eliminator". Obvs., the borax and salt won't help (they are more for covering up bodies lol), but those white odor eliminator rocks may. They are in the cleaning supplies section. I keep a bag in the closet now, as that's attached to my garage, just in case any more mice decide to croak nearby.

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

You can also purchase an ionizer that takes smells out and then you can have it for any future problems. I agree with the suggestion to use vinegar too! I also use essential oil sprays that seem to help more with smells than regular air freshener sprays such as fabreeze.

Good luck! I have also had my share of smelly guest!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Becky19

is there any service which is doing "ionazing" in your town ? Basicly they install a proffesional ionizator machine in a room and let it run for few hours until it switches off authomaticly. During the process nothing alive should be in this room (human, flower, pets...) . When the process is finished there is no smell in a room any more. Usually it is used after a fire , if somebody dies in a room and similar.

In my area it is the same service which speciallity is to combat humidity in buildings. They also sells dehumidifiers ,ionizators and similar appliances

But it makes me think what to do in the such situation? Cancel his stay and get penalized by ABB or let him stay and then get penalized with all this work and expences? I think I would opt for cancellation 😞

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Becky19  @James868

Branka, you know that I have talked before about the use of an ironizing filter. We have one built into the air recirculatory system in the cottage and there is not a smell that this unit has not removed. We just leave it running all the time, it is built in through the airconditioning system but operates independantly from it. 

A good ironizing filter is worth buying because it not only gets rid of smells it also removes pollens, cigarette smoke and most know allergens!

Don't however think about buying a cheaper Ozone generator filter. There is considerable talk in medical circles that the introduction of Ozone molecules into the air promotes lung problems and there is talk that they may be banned in the not too distant future.

We use a Whirlpool Whispure 1000 ironizing filter, and although that has been superseeded and is no longer available there would be an equivelant replacement for it.

Another thing, it not just male body odour, we get desensitised to any smells we regularly live with. Dogs can be a major source of unpleasant smells in a domestic environment. Owners do not notice it but strangers do. Women get desensitised to the smell of their perfume. Many times you come acroos that person you can't stand to be with in the same room because their perfume is so overpowering, an yet they can't smell it!

Becky, I don't know what area you are in but, go through the hire pages and see if you can hire an ironizing filter for a day or two, it will clean the place up!

Cheers......Rob 

James868
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

I had a guest stay for 2 weeks about 6 weeks ago and his odor still persists.  I really don't know where it is coming from as the sheets have ofc been washed several times by now, it's like it has absorbed into the paint work or something.  The mattress doesn't smell and I can't find any particular source for the smell.  But the room just smells like him 😖

Any suggestions would be most welcome.  

If you are able to localize the source of the odor consider using a pet stain and odor remover spray. Wash sheets with chlorine bleach. In my house rules I state explicitly "courtesy is always necessary". I would advise the guest of the problem. My house. My rules. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@James868   @Becky19 

Can not the smelling still be coming from air conditioner filter?

Or maybe still be coming from the curtains.

I know in Berim it is too cold or freezing now, but you can try to leave the windows opened during the entire day, for about two days. If there is a ceiling fan, leave it on for a long time with the windows opened.

Once I had 2 guest that left the listing  with a strong smell of cigarettes. It was I did to get rid of the smell along with having a good cleanner to clean the rooms and the floor with a damp cloth and disinfectant.

Adi25
Level 3
Pitts, PA

im a new host but i think i couldnt put up with such behaviour (aka not washing). I would have called airbnb and ask for guidance eventually ask for the guest to be removed

Adi25
Level 3
Pitts, PA

im a new host but i think i couldnt put up with such behaviour (aka not washing). I would have called airbnb and ask for guidance eventually ask for the guest to be removed

Alexander565
Level 2
Kitchener, Canada

Any active enzyme cleaners will eliminate bacterially produced odors permanently. Such enzymatic cleaners are THE ONLY thing that have actually worked for me for strong smells (puke, dog bile, poop, urine, etc). Even beat steam cleaning.

What kind of enzyme cleaner do you use?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Becky19 

Would you mind if I ask ( Just out of curiousity and also to be aware ) ...

What was the culture/country the guest in question came from?