AIRBNB Accidentally Cancelled Every Reservation For 4 Listings for the Month of June!!

Rhys29
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

AIRBNB Accidentally Cancelled Every Reservation For 4 Listings for the Month of June!!

Hi Everyone, 

Airbnb had a major screw up and have left us in a huge finanicial hole this month, by accidentally cancelling all of the reservations (around 50) for four different listings I co-host on for June, after I called to cancel for one listing.

I have my own airbnb listing that I am the sole host for, as well as four other listings I co-host with a friend (who is the main host). Unfortunately I have had to cancel my own listing as I have a medical condition that means I need to leave the country in which the listing is based.  So I called Monday June 03  to cancel alll the reservations for MY place from July 2019. This was with a case manager called Bethany.

I then called again same day to get the reservations cancelled for this place for June also, as other developments with my condition occured that day and I would have to leave sooner.

The case manager I spoke to in that conversation, Janelle, then went ahead and cancelled ALL the reservations for my friend's four place for June. Which has left them missing $6000 in revenue. We've been on the phone to airbnb multiple times in the same day, speaking to multiple different people, all of which we have to explain the situation to again. The best they've been able to say to us is "get the original guests to rebook" which is clearly NOT good enough. At the same time, we're having guest after guest contacting us, freaking out that in the height of the season their booking has been cancelled. And as well as cancelling all the bookings Airbnb left the calendar open, which means people are now booking at a discounted rate because it's already June, which means we can't get the original guests to rebook. It's a sh*t show!!

I called again and asked to speak to the team lead of whichever office I got through to, who said she would listen to the recordings and will apparently get back to me tomorrow afternoon (though considering how airbnb have been I won't hold my breath). 

Anyone experienced this sort of hellish situation?? Anyone have any suggestions?

3 Replies 3
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Rhys29 

It is a terrible mess and I hope you feel better soon! Perhaps take a pause on discounting the rate and quickly call all the guests to rebook as many as possible and only then start discounting what is still open? It sounds like you will be able to recoup at least some of the bookings. And keep after Airbnb to have them reimburse you for the losses!

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Rhys29 Hi mate, not a good day by the sound of things. The only thing I can suggest (I am sure you have already done it) is write done everything you have said to AIRBNB including names and times so when things have to be resolved by the company you have got a full record of all communication , names and times. BEST OF LUCK! Shaun.

Air bnb closed our account in error and we lost bookings (2) I had message come up asking why I’d cancelled so called them straight away . 24 hours later had Email saying this was their error. I lost £600 and there compensation is supposed to be £300 which is yet to appear. 

Since then have had problem after problem with cancellation and account frozen.

im just about to unlist as it’s costing a fortune in calls and bookings. 

We are at our wits end