AIRBNB BAN IN IRVINE, CALIFORNIA

Davida0
Level 2
Irvine, CA

AIRBNB BAN IN IRVINE, CALIFORNIA

Code Enforcement in Irvine, CA is enforcing a ban on Airbnb.  Their intention is to close 1,000+ rentals.  

All short term rentals will be terminated and only one 30+ day rental will be allwed for each host.

The next City Council meeting will be February 12th.  I am planning to meet with Mayor Pro Tem, Christina Shea on February 10th.

Unless we can get a group together and address this, by next year most Airbnb's in Irvine will be closed.

To discuss this further, please TEXT me at: *personal information hidden*

18 Replies 18
Andrew1248
Level 1
Irvine, CA

Code enforcement is enforcing a ban on anything other than ONE, 30 DAY MINIMUM ROOM RENTAL, PER HOUSEHOLD starting when? This week? March first? Jan. 1 of 2020?   Help me understand... please...a bit more specific information???

Thanks,

*personal information hidden*

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Andrew1248  is there not any information on your local government website about these regulations? this would help you understand how you might be affected.

Hi Andrew 

i received a warning and given 15 days to stop but on June 25 is the council meeting I am going to try to stop this the more people we can get there the better. We help in force. 

Hello,

I'm forwarding a link to an online petition.  Please sign and forward to as many people as possible.

http://chng.it/8k42Dd8w4Y

If you have any questions or concerns, you can TEXT me at: (949) 422-4521

Thank you,

Davida Gregory

Davida0
Level 2
Irvine, CA

Davida 

Irvine, CA

I was cited in December by Code Enforccement and have been attending council meetinngs.  As written, Irvine's Code is not enforceable (maybe...I've received conflicting information)  The State of California sent a letter to the City of Irvine stating that the bans as written are out of compliance with state law.

There is a petition that needs to be signed by May 1st, calling for a special election to select a new council member.  Currently, three of the four are not sympathetic to homestay rentals.  We need your signature. 

Please text me directly at: *personal information hidden*

Thx

Davida

Csilla15
Level 1
Irvine, CA

So is it allowed or not? I just received a notice courtesy that short term rentals are not allowed does that mean hosting too? 

Davida0
Level 2
Irvine, CA

Who did you receive the notice from?  What is the date?   

The issue is in limbo.  The draconian measures that the city tried to implement in about February, 2019 were stopped by the State of California.  Initially, all rentals were forbidden; including long term.  The issue is to be reviewed in September.  

Please contact me:  *sensitive information hidden* TEXT only. 

Council members need to be contacted. 

If you do not want to have in home rentals banned, there is only 2 months with which to work.  

Davida 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

What is the point of banning Airbnb short-term stays? What is their rationale?

I'll bet neighboring citys are LOVING Irvine's ban. The city of Irvine is creating business opportunities for other cities.

No idea council meeting is on June 25 th and we need people to attend the meeting. We also need Airbnb to get involve they have the legal team to get involve. There needs to be a compromise made in the city 

Hi,

Can you advise me where and when is this meeting and at what time. Can we normal residents attend it and try to let them not pass the motion. 

Hello,

I'm not sure what the point of these bans are, but some very vocal and seemingly powerful forces are pushing for them.

Please sign the petition and frward to as many as possible.  Time is short.

http://chng.it/8k42Dd8w4Y

My TEXT # is: (949) 422-4521

If we don't take a proactive approach, we will be picked off one by one.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Davida

Sorry but this is the exact reason why we moved from Irvine.  The short term rentals had become a nuisance in Woodbury.  Complete joke with the amount of listings stating nightly rates vs being month to month.   I will be shocked if irvine passes it.    We didn't pay $12k a year in taxes to deal with short term rentals.  

What is the final say regarding this situation? Are short-term rentals technically illegal at this time?

Hi, is airbnb in Irvine ok now?