AIRBNB CANCELLING A RESERVATION IN ERROR

David1280
Level 1
Belfast, United Kingdom

AIRBNB CANCELLING A RESERVATION IN ERROR

I had a confirmed reservation for a guest and had been in contact (both via Airbnb and offline) to arrange check-in.

The guest checked in around 3pm. At 4.31pm I had an email from Airbnb saying that they believed the reservation to not be legitimate and as such they had cancelled the reservation and refunded the guest. I contacted the guest and they were not aware of this. As it was not their fault I contacted Airbnb and advised that they were incorrect and it was a legitimate booking. The guest left after their two night stay. I have not received any payment. It is now nine days since I initially contacted Airbnb and I have heard nothing. Furthermore the guest broke the panel to the side of the bath and again have been unable to resolve this as obviously there is no for of security deposit as the guest had been refunded!

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and what was the outcome?

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@David1280

I have certainly seen this happen but do not recollect anybody else letting them stay free.

David
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm afraid I wouldn't have allowed the stay to continue until payment had been made.  

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David1280

Unfortunately AirBnB was acting in your best interests - there was something about the guest, their previous credit history or something they were aware of and so they cancelled. You then took it on yourself to accept the guest and now you have to put up with the consequences of damage and no payment. Out of interests, aside from the damage, why did you allow the guest in the property without paying you when AirBnB had told you they cancelled the reservation as that would mean zero payment (and zero security deposit).

Don't forget that AirBnB can have reasons other than bad credit for advising cancellation of a booking - bad or even dangerous behaviour by a guest in another property.

Unfortunately you are stuck with this one unless you can contact the guest and get them to pay you.

Hey, I agree. However that's why I made the timings clear. The guests arrived at 2.30pm. Airbnb sent me the email advising of the cancellation at 4.31pm. Had they advised earlier in the day or indeed the day before would have been different. Also important to note that the reservation had been made weeks earlier!

So what happened after 4.31pm, was the booking reinstated, did the Guest contact AirBnB.

David
David1280
Level 1
Belfast, United Kingdom

Upon contacting Airbnb it was forwarded to a Trust and Safety Case Manager to resolve. That was 8 days ago!

Was the booking reinstated?

David