AIRBNB CANCELS MY RENTER SAYING IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE LEGITIMATE

Max262
Level 2
Rosarito, Mexico

AIRBNB CANCELS MY RENTER SAYING IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE LEGITIMATE

I SPOKE TO AIRBNB  THEY HAVE NO EXPLANATION.  THE TENANT AND I HAD NUMEROUS CONVERSATIONS AND AM CONFIDENT THAT IT A GOOD BOOKING. .  THE DECISION BY AIRBNB WAS VERY UNSETTLING.  I HAVE ASKED THAT THEY REIMBURSE ME FOR THE LOST REVENUE AS THE BOOKING IS SET FOR A FEW WEEKS FROM NOW AND I DONT KNOW THAT I WILL HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO REBOOK.  SUPER FRUSTRATED WITH AIRBNB 

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Max262 Many hosts blame Airbnb when guests arrive and then, for some reason, they don't get paid due to guest fraud. It is not fair to then blame Airbnb for actually stopping a booking if they detect potential fraud.

I think we have to assume that Airbnb has more information than we do and accept that, in this case, you have dodged a bullet.

Mike had I not had personal contact with the renter numerous times including background information which coincides with her profile   ,   Airbnb is in control of the funds before arrival 

She has to check in through security., provide ids   Airbnb provides insurance as well.   what is my risk

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Max262  Airbnb will not disclose to hosts why they cancel a guest reservation. The guest may have had issues with payment on this booking or past ones, they may have been reported for theft from another Airbnb, they may have trashed a house. You won't know that from having conversations with the guest.

Airbnb will not pay you for the cancelled reservation and you should trust that they gave a good reason for not allowing this booking to proceed.

Max262
Level 2
Rosarito, Mexico

Thanks if she is bad tenant then why is her profile still active?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you are that keen on having her stay why not have her book directly. @Max262 

@Max262  Because Airbnb doesn't like banning guest accounts. Some guests have totally trashed houses, or have lots of terrible reviews, and their account remains active. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Max262you dodged a bullet.

This guest may have had issues paying. Airbnb will cancel without explanation if a guest's card is declined or fraudulent. Consider this a blessing.

We had a young couple stay some time ago who had a declined card. For whatever reason, ABB did not cancel. I spent MONTHS and dozens upon dozens of phone calls to Customer Service and the guests to coordinate the pay out. It was a few hundred dollars and the time I spent on it was worth far more than I was owed but I was determined. The guests knew there was a problem with their card but they figured ABB would catch it and ask for a new one before they stayed. They were very cooperative and provided a new card but it still took months, literally months of my complaining to get paid. Other hosts have said the same thing-- there are many threads on missed payouts due to ABB glitches.

Now if I see a cancellation by ABB I count myself amongst the lucky. Trust me, this is the MUCH preferred alternative to having to chase down CS and shake down your guests for payment.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Please disable the caps-lock before posting a issue, i needed earplugs to read it....