AIRBNB HOST IN PORTUGAL - I RENT MY HOUSE TO GUESTS, DO I NEED TO DECLARE IT AS AN INCOME??

Answered!
Xrysw0
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

AIRBNB HOST IN PORTUGAL - I RENT MY HOUSE TO GUESTS, DO I NEED TO DECLARE IT AS AN INCOME??

Hey there, I am a new host and I will start renting my whole appartment(or a room occasionaly) in airbnb guests because I live with my bf now, for most of the time.

My appartment is in Portugal , Lisbon and I don't know if I need to declare that income in the Portuguese taxation agency. 

I work here, I am a european citizen, I have my VAT number and pay my taxes as I have to.

My appartment has a contract under my name(there is a clause in my contract stating clearly that I can subrented if I want to) but since I am spending most of my time in my bf house I have decided to be an airbnb host. But I can not find out what I should do concerning the tax declaration of this income when I communicate with the local taxation department.

Do I need to declare it as an income(since airbnb is generating the invoices and not me-I am a physical person not a company)or I just receive the money? and if yes, do I need to have a VAT number like a company of some short or I use my personal VAT ? But if yes , how am I supposed to declare it since I am not the owner of the house and the owner is already paying the taxes for owning the house and for renting it to me?

Please, if someone would be kind enough to enlighten me and consult me, because I don't want to do anything illegal by mistake or avoid paying the taxes as I'm supposed too!!

Cheers from Lisbon 🙂

1 Best Answer
Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

I am surprised that your rental contract allows subletting - but assuming that it does - any normal lease agreement would stipulate that the owner approve any subletting and that you should get their written permission to do so.

i do not believe that any owner would approve of their tenant renting out the apartment to unapproved people - especially as you will not even be present.

tell me if it was your hard earned money that bought the apartment - would you want this done? And have you thought about who will be blamed for any damage or theft? It will be you as the legal tenant.

my advice to you is to do more research and  and get written permission from the owner.... and then think about it all again.

best wishes 

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Joana253  I would suggest you get an accountant on board in the UK with knowledge of the Portuguese tax system or one in Portugal with knowledge of the UK system and help you set up your tax in the most effective way.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Joana253,

Alojamento Local means the whole lot and everything associated with it.

So, if  you think you will earn less that 10K euros annually, should you still get a VAT #?  In case you go over the 10K?

Carol235
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi All

I am a long standing Airbnb host residing in the UK and letting my holiday home in Portugal through Airbnb.

I use a Portuguese Accountants to register an AL, VAT, pay taxes etc

This year my Accountants have asked me to request Airbnb completed a section of the MOD.21 RFI annual form to confirm I use them as a letting agency. 

They have also asked me to register my VAT number prefixed with PT to have exempt VAT invoices. As I reside in the UK and have set up Airbnb through the UK, Airbnb have prefixed my VAT number with GB.

Has any one else encountered this problem and can anyone advise how I can request the MOD.21 RFI from Airbnb.

Many thanks in advance.