AIRBNB | IPO - FILED IN AUG 2020

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

AIRBNB | IPO - FILED IN AUG 2020

Hello, 

Hope you are well. 

Airbnb have apparently filed for their IPO this month, just wondering what everyone thinks of this? All thoughts and viewpoints welcomed, would you invest?

Thanks and as always stay safe. 

Yadira 

PS. Source- https://www.wsj.com/articles/airbnb-files-confidentially-for-ipo-with-sec-11597870752

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Yadira22 It sounds good to me. Hopefully it will cause a more professional approach to customer service and the website.

With respect to investing? Well it can only get better post pandemic so maybe yes.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

It would have been a nice gesture to allow hosts to invest at a special rate or otherwise get some type of benefit.

I've always hoped that when Airbnb goes public it will force the company to be more transparent, and therefore have a more reliable and consistent set of policies and outcomes.

As with all IPO's like this, I suspect the price will go high and then crash until Airbnb fixes its internal problems. They're rushing before the stock options expire for employees. I'm okay with the IPO if there is a requirement that no employee or executive can sell the stock for five years. Otherwise it feels like pump and dump.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Yadira22  Thanks for this!  I'm with @Christine615 - I wouldn't buy on the IPO, as it will probably be overvalued, but also with @Mike-And-Jane0 - post-COVID travel patterns will be good for Airbnb.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Christine615 You know the deal well.

I think the timing is good, considering it wasn't done before, because in essence it means all Airbnb needs to find now is enough 'bettors' on its future. Its fundamentals are solid, is its tangents of thought that need changing, which will happen once a CEO has to listen to shareholders.

Jim554
Level 2
Oxford, MS

I am buying Airbnb stock!!

https://youtu.be/OJpdGhzQ-kc

Hi @Jim554 

Weren't You the one who bought the cheapest electric car in Mississippi for Your guests to drive around with? How did that project turn out for You?

i hope it makes airbnb more professional. My concern is cashflow is tight it seems for them so I am worried that they will double down on arguing with hosts. To me airbnb simply wants more customers, it is like netflix or uber, it just wants to grow and grow. 

Pamela53
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Can hosts get a discounted price on the IPO. 

I have fears of "pump and dump" as the investors try to maximize their profits. The IPO didn't go well for Uber. I think Airbnb still has kinks to work out. But the deadline for employees to exercise their options seems to be approaching. That may be the sense of urgency.

I find something wildly concerning about issuing stock in a company that owns none of its inventory and is susceptible to poaching (or pandemics). If a competitor built another platform that didn't hide host/guest identities and focused on personal interaction between the two - I think Airbnb would struggle to hold its existing clients.

John421
Level 2
Oshawa, Canada

So I sent this message to Mr Chesky by the host assistance;

Good afternoon Mr. Chesky;
We have been dedicated Airbnb hosts since 2015 and use for travel frequently. As business partners with our already huge financial investment that solely supports the Airbnb business model, we would expect consideration and inclusion in the upcoming Airbnb stock IPO or at very least an insider purchasing opportunities through our brokers.
Thank you and please reply directly to: John.Chilton@. ........com
Please note this message will be included in our Airbnb owner community.
Best regards, John C

All owners should do the same to leverage our interests and voice our concerns together.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@John421  for good measure I'll tag Mr @Brian Chesky in this topic & your letter as he's a CC Centre member