AIRBNB NEEDS TO BETTER SCREEN HOSTS AND PROTECT GUESTS

Krystle7
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

AIRBNB NEEDS TO BETTER SCREEN HOSTS AND PROTECT GUESTS

I'm here to discuss my stay in Hermon CA. [Personal information hidden].  I’ve never airbnb’d before. If not for necessity I would’ve cancelled immediately with [Person E], [Person D] and [Person F]. Having never done airbnb before, seeing a pet friendly home (that she’s sinced changed),having my dog in my profile as coming with myself and my spouse I thought that my dog was acknowledged especially when prior to accepting our booking [Person E] let me know she had seen my profile and I had no reviews and asked if I had ever airbnb’d before. Imagine my surprise when I arrived and my dog was a shock especially with the random stray german shepard I was told about an hour prior to arriving. Rather than speak directly she sent me and airbnb message. I responded an apology for any miscommunication she ignored it and the phone call and text I left. She’s very passive aggressive. Cleanliness: [names] comes weekly. There is no maintenance in between. We were blamed for everything although [Person E] herself disclosed that [Person F] the roommate steals her stuff, breaks things and blames it on the airbnb guests. They had a plumbing issue of a slow drain. Refused to address it. Instead we would get told that we’re the reason they have to have the housekeeper come so often and he can only do so much to clean the bathroom. [Person E] messages me  at work five minutes after my spouse exits the bathroom not even giving him time to clean out the tub after dressing to complain about the tub. She went out of her way to let us know that because of us she would no longer do long term stays. They leave food out for days at a time promoting flies in the house. [Name] is not yet house broken so expect to run across feces. Or remnants of [Person E’s] menstruation on the couch. She is ill and takes blood thinners. If you stay during her menstruation expect these sightings in the common areas. [Person F] the roommate has offensive acrid body odor that lingers on a daily basis. If it’s not her body stinking it’s her bedroom when she leaves her door open. [Person E] is sick. Expect shed hair all over the house. [Person F] also stole from us. She entered our room when [Person E], [Person D], myself and my husband were not home and stole. She almost damaged our work equipment in our room during her stealing. Since then a lock has been put on the door. [Person F] also yells in the home how she hates me, can't wait until I leave and when confronted by [Person E] told her in our presence that they should stop doing airbnbs and get another roommate. Preferrably her friend that she has over who takes baths and leave dirt and footprints in the tub. All when [Person E] and [Person D] are not on the premises. Noise: They slam every door and cabinet and are loud all times of the day/ night. Expect to be woken up by espresso machines and coffee grinders every morning before 6:30 am. Your room is right next to the driveway. [Person D] will do all DIY projects including varnishing and lacquering right by your window with no regard for fumes. When [Person E] and [Person D] are gone [Person F] will blast her music. Misc: Expect random people and their dogs at all hours. [Name] will jump on you at all times even while you’re eating. [Person E] is extremely ill and vomits incessantly with thin walls. The door is constantly unlocked day/night.Good luck with valuables. If you misplace something expect them to mock your frustration within earshot. Should you befriend [Name] their neighbor and they decide they don’t like you, expect them to refrain from letting you know if he stops by or leaves anything for you. He’s the only good part of the stay. And watch out for [Person D]. I sent them a message detailing my gripes with our stay. I did not cuss at them. I did not tell them where they could go. Next thing I know my husband tells me [Person D] is trying to kick us out without going through proper AIRBNB channels because telling them that their behavior was passive aggressive made them "really mad" Also she does not disclose that on top of video surveillance you are also being audio recorded when you are in the outside in the common area. So don't think that you can step outside for privacy. There is none. My issue with airbnb is that even though the state of California considers this to be voyeurism and illegal AIRBNB says its the hosts right.

[Person E]
[Person F]
[Person D] i suppose is [name]'s replacement
[Address hidden]

And take caution when booking. Going through the proper AIRBNB channels after everything came to a head I was informed that [Person E] accused us of sneaking our dog in and creating an unclean enviroment. I can provide screenshots of all communication between [Person E] and myself as well as my communications with AIRBNB support. This is not a slander post. This is a be very aware so this doesnt happen to you should you book with them post. Moving to LA from NJ was supposed to be fun and exciting. [Person E][Person F] and [Person D] ruined that for us unnecessarily.

**[Personal information has been hidden from this post for safety reasons - in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

11 Replies 11
Aurora52
Level 4
Miami, FL

Hi Krystle,this sounds like a bad movie.Im a AIRBNB host and I can tell you,I never heard something like this.I don’t know we’re you booked but in my area something like this is impossible.If you booked a super cheap place ore I don’t know what area  ( woods ) maybe but I can’t believe it really.Can you please send me the AIRBNB AD? You can not blame AIRBNB for this .I used AIRBNB many many years  back in Europe before it got to USA and never ever I experienced something like you describe.Im a super host on AIRBNB and I know how good the hosts are so please STOP with this nonsense like Screen the hosts not the guests.You have no idea how some guests will ruin your entire house. Plus did this place have any reviews,picture etc?

Dear I'm allergic to shellfish. If I eat them my throats closes. You may not have a shellfish allergy and can eat shrimp all day and be happier than a pig in mud while doing so. I say that to say it's a marginal thinking to imply that your experience is automatically going to be the same as someone else's. 

Dear you said: AIRBNB NEEDS TO  BETTER SCREEN HOSTS!

realy,this makes me alergic sorry.It looks like you have no idea how it works plus this is a page for HOSTS not GUESTS 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Krystle7  Sorry you had such a bad experience but I don't understand why you did not immediately contact airbnb when it was apparent that this was a horrible place and ask to be rebooked to another place. And this is not the appropriate venue to go on and on about this- you have the option to write a review which will appear on the host's listing. Do that, but try to make it brief, and factual.

Ps. In the future, even if a place says it is pet friendly, you still need to notify the host when you book that you will have your dog with you.

Obviously it went unread that 1. I had never used airbnb before 2. Thought I had mentioned my pet and 3. Apologized for any miscommunication. Furthermore relocating, looking for work and establishing permanent residency isn't easy. It's very easy to not be in that same position and tell someone what they should have done. I'd like to see you commit to jobs and or staffing assignments and have to decline and pack up your life to move to another location. 

No, it didn't go unread. I know you said you had never used airbnb before. An airbnb guest can request to be rebooked to a different listing if they find the listing they booked to be unacceptable. This information is available to be read on the airbnb site, but you obviously didn't read it.

"Thought I had mentioned my pet". It's not of importance what you thought. If you didn't communicate that you were bringing your dog, that is what counts.

We are all busy people with a full schedule. yet we took the time to answer you. Too bad you don't appreciate it.

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

Just because you mention in your profile that you own a pet does not automatically mean that hosts should think you will be bringing it with you. I own a cat, but it doesn't mean I bring her with me wherever I go. As a host myself, I would certainly not think that you stating you have a dog in your profile automatically means that I should be aware that you will be bring it to my home without expressly asking my permission first or that having it in your profile somehow gives you permission to do so. If you are having issues in your place, I suggest you contact ABNB and resolve it with them. This isn't the place for such a long, rambling complaint. 
@Aurora52 As an aside, you said, "I used AIRBNB many many years  back in Europe before it got to USA "
You are aware that ABNB was started in San Francisco, right?

What I've learned is that you three respond more than you read and retain. 🤦🏾‍♀️

It would seem that you need to book a hotel not an Airbnb. Reading is a requirement for guests. It is apparent reading and common sense is not in your wheelhouse! You managed to get into a community site for HOSTS. Conclusion...this is all BS and not worth anyone's time.

Michelle,yes I’m aware,I was using AIRBNB since 2008 ,and here at least in my area nobody was aware ( not popular)of AIRBNB 

Vijay19
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

holy moly I wouldn't stay long enough to properly excuse myself out of that hole

on the other hand im a host myself and im not even present in my lsited place. Cleaning Its fully furnished and i assure you I hardly spend any money on maintenance, use a good laundry detergent and bleach for bed linen and towels, use bleach spray and windex on surfaces, wipe clean with paper towels, change bed linen, dispose the garbage bags and make myself a coffee relax for 3040 mins and jtake out my laundry and fold it.  actual cleaning takes less than 15 monutes, laundry about an hour, and i use the in between time to look at my listing online.