AIRBNB limited my account , I didn't disclose a camera I don't have?

Answered!
Steven89
Level 2
Dallas, TX

AIRBNB limited my account , I didn't disclose a camera I don't have?

There is no loyalty with Airbnb.

I have been with them for 4-5 years. I'm pretty sure our guest complains about a front camera which I do not have. Even then why is having a front door camera facing the street illegal now? My account will not be available to rent for a week cause they are doing their "investigation".

They didn't take my word after our long phone conversation. She was actually pretty hostile and didn't help the situation, her name was Alice and very unprofessional about how she dealt with it. They are going to hold my account for another 2-3 days cause Airbnb is out of their minds, what happened to a great company in the past? At this point, I'm just another few houses for them at their disposal.

They don't care. 

1 Best Answer

@Steven89 

This is just a vicious circle. Lying guests who don't provide evidence, inflict commercial harm on Airbnb Hosts, who are victimised by the very platform they serve, so in fact CCTV cameras become required by necessity for the collection of evidence. !!

As @Emilia42 stated:

I am so nervous that someone is going to accuse me of cameras because I am observant.

...being observant serves nobody unfortunately. In this litigious situation only evidence serves. CCTV cameras are just another layer of defence against guests and their deceitful tricks.

Even if you don't have cameras like in @Steven89 case, and consequently get accused of having such, law states you're innocent until proven guilty, however in taking the guests' word only that there are CCTV cameras, Airbnb chose to punish Hosts until evidence is sought! Are Airbnb sending an investigation team out or just collecting photographic evidence ?!

We do not yet have CCTV cameras, but as we live on site, and too are observant, we might fall foul to these such accusations. Perhaps an advisory note to all Hosts might be to 'disclose CCTV cameras on site' and state acceptable places they cover - even if they do not exist, and as a deterrent to possible unruly guests. Alternatively, just get CCTV fitted.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Sandra768
Level 2
Wanneroo, AU

It is time we united to fight Airbnb.  Two nights ago the Australian police and the riot squad narrowly averted an enormous after school ball party at my house.  I single businessman booked the premises a month ago, his girlfriend (or sister) sold tickets to a party he had planned at the house, buses had been hired to bring hundreds of teenagers to my house. 

Luckily the police intercepted emails (they are taking a crackdown on events after some Airbnb houses have been trashed and people injured). They knocked on my door to tell me a huge party had been planned and did I know about it.  I said that wasn't possible I had one guest booked in only.  They assured me there was to be a party - contacted my one guest who denied knowing about it - but friends of his arrived that afternoon to organize gates and fencing and said he was the organizer.

I contacted Airbnb who said they would get back to me with support.  Two days later I still have not heard from Airbnb.  They did absolutely nothing despite their advertising they a cracking down on illicit parties.

The police instructed me on setting up barricades and locking gates.  The called in the riot squad who kept a presence from 8 pm onwards.  They had air and mounted police back-up along with many visits by the local police.  Luckily thanks to the police and no thanks to AIRBNB a disaster was averted.

WE CAN NO LONGER RELY ON AIRBNB TO PROTECT OUR HOMES - I HAVE UNLISTED AND WILL GO TO THE MEDIA IF I DO NOT HEAR FROM AIRBNB BY TOMORROW - I HOPE THEY ARE READING THIS.

Please those of you who can afford it - make a stand - we should not tolerate this rude, dishonest and arrogant behavior.  Like many of you, I have been a five-star host for over 6 years and find the drop in Airbnb standards over the last two years deplorable.  Speak out, contact the media, write letters to the paper and spread the word, we need to shake them out of their complacency.

WHAT !!!

Thankfully your police were on the case. Have you received ANY support from Airbnb?

@Sandra768 

Dee129
Level 2
Carson City, NV

Hi all. So sorry for these Painful experiences with bad guests and with unhelpful Airbnb reps. I feel for you. I also recognize the decline in respectful guests and the need for better screening by Airbnb.  It really does seem they let anyone sign up and use the platform. Airbnb was established based on the notion that all people are basically good and our trust in that. But not all people are. We know that to be true. Better screening is needed. Thanks for all you do!  Dee

Aj92
Level 4
Dallas, TX

I think the same thing happened to me.  I had a terrible guest who smoked in the home, had extra people over without permission, and also had a dog there.  I notified airbnb and she agreed to cover the fees for the extra guests the following day.  That day comes and she refused to pay so I cancelled the reservation for violation of house rules.

Then, a couple days later I get a notification that my account is suspended.  I call in and am told there is a privacy violation.  I am then told someone from safety will call me.

I then receive a call and am asked to explain an incident that occurred at the property.  They refuse to explain which guest it involves and what incident.  I tell them I am guessing this is the angry guest, explain that I was told it was a privacy issue when I called in and explained that I do have cameras, but only on the exterior parts of the home and I disclose them not only in my things to know section as airbnb requires, but the house rules and listing descriptions.  I even mention them in my intro message to guests warning about the no party policy.  They are not hidden and are very obvious, and airbnb and the guests are well aware of them.  They show who enters and leaves to protect against parties.

I've been hosting for 5 years and have never had my account randomly suspended.  I am very concerned my listing is going to be blocked simply because a guest is upset they didn't get a refund and was thrown out.

Nicole795
Level 2
Ferndale, MI

It's happened to me... I got an email from AirBNB customer support this morning stating a guest has reported they found non-disclosed cameras on my property. I don't even have a doorbell camera or any exterior or interior cameras and can't even wrack my brain around what could be confused as a camera. AirBNB has "limited" my listing until they can conduct the investigation. It says they will call me tomorrow. I tried calling the general line, but there wasn't much she could do aside from document what I said in the case.

She told me it was reported from a guest on February 28th. The thing is, I haven't had any issues with guests lately. No one has reported issues or had complaints. No one has tried to get a refund. I am super confused and hoping this misunderstanding doesn't become a permanent issue. 

Has anyone else gone through this? What is the best course of action to get my listing back up asap?