AIRBNB requests to lower pricing

Sion2
Level 10
SF, CA

AIRBNB requests to lower pricing

I am new as of Sept in a high volume area San Francisco. I work really hard even ironing sheets, I do thier laundry,  all amemites, heated marble floor in bathroom, even snacks and beverages and I have a 100% 5 star rating and told to expect  super host status in Jan.  I am under vauled according to several guests. YET and I really need AIRBNB to hear this:

Stop sending me emails to lower my prices...the last one wanted me to go from 99 down to 70...all because  4  folks looked at my lisitng  and booked cheaper. Right now when fully booked I exceed the rental value of the rooms which is super high in SF. If I follow these endless requests to lower my prices I cannot continue to host. I will get a roomate whose laundry I do not have to do;)

Its so dishearting to be doing everything right but the only communciation  I get from AIRBNB is me  being told to make less money, like my efforts are not vauled and your algorithm  is not noticing my reviews or booking rate. There is balancing point in marketing and lowering my price is a race to the bottom. Not going to do it...I will raise it, but not lower it. Dec is slow and I am not getting what I could make if I rented the room ( and I offered discounts)  to a housemate. Jan is almost booked so I know it just seasonal. You want to send me helpful emails ...tell me how to self promote and what else I can sell to guests ( like meals etc) ...do not make me work for free. 

55 Replies 55
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

They want to get as many bookings through their system and have no idea about local conditions. Just do what every other sensible host does and ignore their helpful suggestions!

@Sion2

I usually look at those pricing suggestions when I need something to laugh about - the price suggestions are a total joke!!!!  Most hosts including myself just ignore those e-mails. I agree they are a bother but it's just another spam mail that needs deleting.

@Sion2, you have a beautiful place!

Please ignore the emails about lowering your price; you are clearly doing something right as it is, with 28 great reviews in only 3 months!

There is no person at AirBnB making value judgements about your place. It is just a hyperactive robot sending you those emails.

Of course there was at least one guest who looked at your listing and booked a place with a lower price.

The only host who won't get those emails is the host with the cheapest room in the city.

And you don't want to be that person.

Thanks neighbor!!! 

@Matthew285 "The only host who won't get those emails is the host with the cheapest room in the city." 

Well put, but sadly, no. I am the only host in my "city" (so cheapest and dearest at the same time) and I get those emails because rooms in towns 50 km away are cheaper. No one is spared...

@Sion2, you have it all going on. Just delete them. 

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

@Sion2  Please  know that  it takes great restraint for me to reply to your message and say what needs to be said without using the language I KNOW needs to be used.  The messages from AirBnb have got to stop.  They only serve to enrage most of us on a weekly basis. I've been receiving them for years, and the flannel wearing latte sippers who send them out can go blank themselves!

I've looked at your listing. You have a beautiful home, in a great location. Your prices are far too low.  You know it.  I know it. And your guests know it.  The people who send you those absurd price tips need to go blank themselves.  You work far too hard to be subjected to their wholly unwarranted badgering.  They haven't got a blanking clue.

Thanks! 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I got another one today.

Never had one suggesting I increase my prices, seems odd, does it not work both ways?

David

@David126Have you signed the living wage pledge? 

@Mark26

Yes

David

Airbnb wants to get EVERY guest!  The people who send those messages don’t have a clue. Goes to show they don’t care about the hosts. All they care about is more guests coming so more money

@David126 I’ve wondered the same thing!!

how about these emails instead:

hey, it looks like your listing is illegal, how about you get licensed. 

Hey, guests just booked a more expensive place, how about you raise your rates. 

Hey, we know you’ve had no bookings but our site traffic is really down, do you want to use this coupon that reduces our commission for your next booking. 

I could go on and on

@Kelly149

Would be interesting to get a response on that, I realise that will not happen.

David

@David126 I think hosts such as @Mark26 (and me & you) might be less irritated if these messages were about anything other than downward pressure. Or if we at all agreed with (or knew!!) the comparision to this supposed cheaper property. There is no reason for me to try to match up with a place that is in another town, or has less features or isn't legal, etc...

I had a message from HomeAway yesterday where they gave me some data point that I'm sure they thought was helpful BUT it had a button next to it. "Do You Agree?" When I clicked on that button, it took me to a page that asked me to input what I thought was a more accurate number. Enter. & thank you for your feedback. Easy. We all know ABB isn't taking note of this thread, but perhaps this can be a PSA to less experienced hosts

"IGNORE THESE PRICE SUGGESTIONS FROM ABB!!!!"

Hosts know better