(ALERT) - 1st AirBnb experience gone wrong, watch out for scams like this

Ena13
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

(ALERT) - 1st AirBnb experience gone wrong, watch out for scams like this

Hello fellow AirBnb Hosts,

I started renting my spare room about 4 months ago, and I must say, my first experience was a catastrophe

My guest reached out and said he is interested in renting the room for 2 weeks, but he would like to book for 1 night just to see whether he is comfortable in the house. Being a rookie, I though that's fair - and agreed to it! Soon after he settled in he said he loves the room and is going to stay the next 2 weeks, BUT then proceed to let me know that he is waiting for his funds to be transferred to his UK account since he just moved to London from the USA. This was supposed to happen tomorrow when he was going to book the rest of his stay. Since this was my first guest I wanted to make this experience positive for both of us so I agreed to it - silly me. Red light should've gone ON when he proposed paying in cash for his entire stay - I of course, respectfully declined.

Long story short - after being way too understanding about his booking "habits" for a week (only booked for 2 nights at the time), he then failed to make a booking for the following night. And the one after that. We have talked, and every time we did he said he is just about to make a booking. But he didn't..

Unfortunately, this became a source of stress and I have politely asked him to make the rest of the bookings on that day, or I'll have to ask him to leave, as I don't feel comfortable in my own home anymore. He managed to book for the next 4 nights as he didn't have anywhere else to go. We kept the atmosphere positive, and were respectful towards each other, and even had enjoyable conversations afterwards, so I thought "great, didn't turn out that bad after all". 

He checked out and 5 days after he left a 1* review AND a 3* which I would be ok with if I have deserved it. But we went above and beyond to make him feel comfortable in our home. I personally washed his clothes, we bought a new iron as he ironed his clothes every day and our old one broke, he participated in my boyfriends surprise party and hung out with our friends and family, we even paid him back AirBnb fees for his last booking, I reduced cleaning fees after 2nd booking to £0  because we felt sorry for the guy and wanted to help out etc.

I was so disappointed in him, but even more in AirBnb support which, provided with ALL the evidence about the case, didn't want to do anything about the review.

Every guest afterwards was lovely and enjoyable and we loved hosting them, and have left a 5* review and said they are going to come back! 🙂 

Even though it was a negative experience I am happy that this was the first AirBnb experience I've had as I learned SO MUCH from it!

Just wanted to put it out there for all of you to be cautious of guests like this! If they want to come by and "check out the room" for 1 night and then book the rest - my friendly advice is don't do it!

Best wishes to all of you,

Ena

28 Replies 28

@Kira32 Thank you for the advice! What a small world.. I have a guest arriving next month from the Canary Islands, she visits the US every year for business.  

Ive been hosting for 8 months; my first guests walked in cussed me out and demanded a refund because one person (the mother) didn’t like the unit.   The next guest books for 11 days and on the tenth day hands me a check I call my attorney.  Long story short for this guest was the checks belonged to his father.  He would book a 10 stay or less and once in the residence he expresses interest in long term accommodations.  Now I have ten bedrooms so providing him a room wasn’t a problem.  He arrives on New Years Day looking a little woozie but I check him in thinking like millions of others he had lots of champagne bringing in the new year.  A few days later I attempt to refresh his linen and I’m taken aback by the condition of the room I put him in.  He was a heroine addict and the final straw was him deficating the bathroom at 3am and then denying he did it even though security cameras shown HIM @ 3am entering the bathroom.  I stopped hosting after that incident because I have my children in the home.  But now I have learned a few things about vetting guests more throughly my first clue with this addict was his dads check had a local address in a wealthy area.  Dad moved to Florida several years ago and retired but apparently left behind a blank book of checks.   

I have also had some lovely happy stable guests who are repeat customers so all I all my experience has been good.  Can’t let one or two bad apples spoil my business.

One of the things I believe would make AIRBNB better is having the ability to link photos of the guest area if they damage or steal of ruin anything in the home.  A picture included with a review will speak volumes about the bad apples who use AIRBNB for illicit purposes.  And anyone can make a profile terrible lack of security you can just make up a name log onto Airbnb and book a room hosts really don’t know who they are allowing access to.  I now demand a govt issued if card (Drivers License) anything I can use  document who they truly are.

@Dolores-and-Courtney0 

What a coincidence! Canarians are very laid back and easygoing in general. 

Denis71
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

be careful with @Kira32 's advice, because they might call your bluff by checking the calendar and if there isn't a booking a host will look powerless.

thanks for the warnings @Ena13 !! I usually try to meet the guests on the street first and normally it's a measure that pays off. I also learned that it's the meeting which is very important, becomes first impression. When I didn't meet the guests too well I tend to have an average result, but some guests are cranky and in my case will never give 5, when I most often give generous results to encourage people to travel more.

I usually ask where the guest is coming from, what's their purpose of the visit and if they are from the city I live in I will disagree. It sounds to me that there are situations when guests aren't simply tourists who come from sightseeing, but it's their way to go around. if the guests don't introduce themselves in the chat that way you want them, deny them.

I found it difficult to respond to guests without seeing their picture first, however I understand that airbnb makes a lot more money like this for everyone, however, so far my experiences were positive. I had a difficult situation last year during a festival in my area, when I declined a guest and he asked politely to call him. over the phone I agreed to take him in, he submitted a request again. Unfortunately, prior to his arrival I felt uncomfortable, because his profile had no photo. It was only my girlfriend co-host who was supposed to meet his and I was at work. I called up Airbnb and demanded to cancel the reservation, because I felt it's unsafe. When he arrived to the block of flats he said he was with a friend, and it was a surprise to me. If he'd come alone or warned us in advance it could have been different. Airbnb's account manager was very helpful and the startup offered him a different booking and didn't penalise my listing too. Make sure you set up some sort of safety mechanism to cancel last minute if you have a bad feeling.

anyone has advice, experience or suggestions on SuperHost promotions? I'm working towards the badge, but it's a marginal call so far.

Denis71
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

be careful with @Kira32 's advice, because they might call your bluff by checking the calendar and if there isn't a booking a host will look powerless.

thanks for the warnings @Ena13 !! I usually try to meet the guests on the street first and normally it's a measure that pays off. I also learned that it's the meeting which is very important, becomes first impression. When I didn't meet the guests too well I tend to have an average result, but some guests are cranky and in my case will never give 5, when I most often give generous results to encourage people to travel more.

I usually ask where the guest is coming from, what's their purpose of the visit and if they are from the city I live in I will disagree. It sounds to me that there are situations when guests aren't simply tourists who come from sightseeing, but it's their way to go around. if the guests don't introduce themselves in the chat that way you want them, deny them.

I found it difficult to respond to guests without seeing their picture first, however I understand that airbnb makes a lot more money like this for everyone, however, so far my experiences were positive. I had a difficult situation last year during a festival in my area, when I declined a guest and he asked politely to call him. over the phone I agreed to take him in, he submitted a request again. Unfortunately, prior to his arrival I felt uncomfortable, because his profile had no photo. It was only my girlfriend co-host who was supposed to meet his and I was at work. I called up Airbnb and demanded to cancel the reservation, because I felt it's unsafe. When he arrived to the block of flats he said he was with a friend, and it was a surprise to me. If he'd come alone or warned us in advance it could have been different. Airbnb's account manager was very helpful and the startup offered him a different booking and didn't penalise my listing too. Make sure you set up some sort of safety mechanism to cancel last minute if you have a bad feeling.

anyone has advice, experience or suggestions on SuperHost promotions? I'm working towards the badge, but it's a marginal call so far.

Also, as a guest I can imagine clumsy hosts not caring about hospitality, only thinking about money, but I had very good experience travelling with airbnb. very good is an understatement.

Nina560
Level 1
Vladivostok, Russia

I have the same story about the support. I complained to Airbnb about the guests who had spoiled my curtains and broke my glasses, but after all these people left 3* points and support said they were not able to change or delete it although they understood that I had had problems with these people. All the host can do- not take this reviews personally. 

Ena13
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

@Nina560 I wish I could not take it personally, but I think it becomes personal the minute they walk into  our home, at least for me! It might be different if it was external unit.

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

Thank you for sharing. I’m new to Airbnb myself (started renting my guest room this July) and because we are so focused on getting those 5-star reviews sometimes those guests use that opportunity to swindle the newbies. So far I don’t have any horror stories but I’m learning through each guests as they stay in my home and I come on this community to try to avoid some issues if I can help it. I initially allowed 1 day bookings but it was through the advice of the experienced Superhosts I change my minimum to 2 nights.

Roy-and-Nahid0
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

We have had a couple of issues with guests. One last week, the guest wanted a refund after staying for their entire reservation. They called Airbnb for a refund and the case manager was actually contemplating giving it to her at our expense. We are so disgusted by Airbnb and the way hosts are handled. I really hope another platform opens up. Because it's really quite unacceptable. 

Terrifying and appalling! I truly believe that people have good intentions(Optimist), however, would never allow the scenario described here to occur(Pragmatic) as many are not trustworthy. As the saying goes...what do you get when things don't go as expected...experience. 

Lee185
Level 2
Yuba City, CA

Fairly recent to AirBandB but innkeeper fpr over 35 years Our cottage was occupied by a couple and dog the last 4 nights and when they departed it smelled of pot even though we have posted no smoking and told them to smoke in a certain area. Linens were stained by their dog and they stained what was on the bed and pulled out additional linens that were stained How do we get money from the security deposit of $300?

@Lee185   Pretty clear article in Help Center will be helpful so you can claim damage.  Just understand that rule breaking is not claimable, but actual damage is.  Good luck!!

Lee185
Level 2
Yuba City, CA

Concerned that this guest will destroy or damage other property in Northern California Because of strong odor of marijuana lost a booking tonight Need tips on how to get rid of odor.  Have cups of vinegar and windows open all afternoon Washed all linens 

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Hello @Lee185,

I use Palo Santos to get rid of any odor in the apartment. You can buy Palo Santos available at a more advanced incense shop.

Palo Santos is not treated with chemicals( it's just a wooden stick) with its own natural mint and citrus aroma when it's lightened with fire.

The stick doesn't have a penatrating smell like incence does. It's a more neutralising air freshener.  

Good luck!