ALERT to Hosts: Large-scale bug with Instant Bookings

CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

ALERT to Hosts: Large-scale bug with Instant Bookings

Many hosts who use Instant Book have recently noticed that they are not being notified via the app or by text message when they receive a new Instant Booking. (You'll receive an email and the booking will appear on your calendar, but there are no push notifications and there's no evidence of the new booking on your dashboard.) We noticed this when we accidentally discovered a message in our Inbox yesterday from a guest who had booked our space five hours eariler. We checked the calendar and, sure enough, he was booked, but we had no idea it had happened.

I've confirmed with Airbnb today that this is a large-scale bug and they're working on fixing it, but at this point they cannot provide an ETA on a fix.

So until the fix arrives, keep checking email, your message Inbox, and your calendar for any unannounced bookings.

Happy Sunday! Go Packers!

Carl and Diane

11 Replies 11
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks for the confirmation. I noticed this awhile ago when I found myself getting e-mails that someone had booked, but no messages from AirBnB. Have you noticed that you can decline someones inquiry and they can still IB your place?

@Zacharias0, we haven't had someone whom we've declined then come back to book instantly, but to be honest we don't decline many folks. We're in a small town in Texas where most of our guests are quiet couples or parents visiting their kids in college. So unless someone looks really sketchy, we're inclined to accept them. So far we've been lucky taking that approach.

But it does make sense that if someone is declined using the traditional booking request, they can still come back and book instantly. I'd say that's a big drawback of IB (as if there weren't enough already), and you should bring that up with Airbnb. I sent a direct message to @AirbnbHelp via Twitter and that's how I ended up learning that they're working on a fix.

Carl and Diane

Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

Another way you can double check ABnB is to add the calendar to your google calendar. I do this periodically to double check myself.

Just go to you Availablity Settings and select the Export option.  It will generate a URL for .ical file that you can just add to your Google (or other calendar) so you can do a comparison.

Just note, AirBnB only puts the date of the last night in the appointment so it will look like your guest is departing 1 day earlier than they actually are.

hi @CarlandDiane0 it just happend to me.

Few days ago i got IB and regular message on the phone , and one hour ago i got IB reservation without message ( i see that i got IB reservation when i try to send email).

I ask Airbnb on the facebook site, and i hope that they will fix it.

Molly37
Level 1
Ellijay, GA

yes--this happen to me within the last 24 hours--guest book last night at 7:15 and showed up today without me even knowing they were coming until 2 hours before arrival! yikes! this is not good--had to rush and get things ready in the nick of time--luckily it all worked out--but what about the next time this happens?? Not good and something Airbnb needs to fix immediately!

Tiffany103
Level 1
Austin, TX

Yep, this is a really annoying bug and still has not been fixed two weeks later. It's frustrating because a lot of our instant book guests have questions and then it makes it seem like it takes us hours or days before we realize we need to respond. Ugggghhhhh

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Tiffany103 Please note: it's 1 year + two weeks later. 

OMG!!!!!!!! 

@Tiffany103, I don't know if they fixed the bug in question, but I do get both text alerts and emails when guests make an Instant Booking.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

Yet another reason to steer clear of IB, in my opinion.

Susanna88
Level 1
Pensacola, FL

More than a year later, and still no text. I turned off instant for good. Last time it happened, I had no idea someone was coming, so luckily they called.