Guest destroyed apartment, Airbnb didn't help

Inna12
Level 3
New York, NY

Guest destroyed apartment, Airbnb didn't help

The guest checked it on Jan 12, the payment was supposed to be released on Jan 13, and I am still waiting to receive it, regardless of my numerous attempts to contact them. Additionally, there are two more payments that were supposed to be released yesterday, that are not coming in either. Does it happen to anyone else here as well? 

This is not to mention, that I recently had a guest who destroyed my apartment ($5000 in damage) and not a single dollar in reimbursement from Airbnb under Host Guarantee. Idk, maybe they are short of money because of loss https://therealdeal.com/2020/02/11/airbnb-once-profitable-lost-322m-in-9-months/ but something has to be done here. 

If anyone is interested in joining me in class action law suit, let me know. For reference, I am in NYC. 

I am also would be interested in hearing about other hosts experience with Airbnb. 

**[Title updated relevant to post] 

55 Replies 55

yup, I’m very well aware. Thank you. 

Tell Susan that 😉

I realize this is much later. I’ve had multiple issues with Airbnb siding with guests who’ve caused immense damage and loss for my family and I’m looking for a class action lawsuit to join. @Sheila22   @Inna12 

I know this is much later. I’ve had multiple massive issues with Airbnb including a criminal case with a guest in which AirBnb supported the guest who burned my furniture. 

Any current mass legal actions against Airbnb? I’d like to join. @Sheila22  @Inna12 

Robin243
Level 1
Tennessee, US

Apparently Airbnb is making a habit of illegally withholding payment due to owners. I am in the middle of such a situation and have just spoken to a lady who's son was told he would be denied for 3 months the payments owed to him for his rentals. I was lied to initially and told the payment was held up because of a bank holiday, (paaaaleeeeaaase) and now they refuse to provide contact for their legal department (said they don't have one..lol). My client has paid by credit card and I am out a weeks rental. I contacted Airbnb 4 days ago but they refuse to offer any explanation as to why they wont pay us our money. 

This is theft and fraud and if enough owners are being abused, I don't think they can hide behind an arbitration clause in Federal court.

I'm in!!!

I had a guest decided to leave early, but he never canceled the reservation. AirBnb checked him out 15 days early retroactively because there was a cobweb in the exterior door frame, some dust on a fan, and crumbs under the trash can. 

Thomas386
Level 2
San Diego, CA

They unilaterally abrogated my strict cancellation policy in response to Covid19 and are now claiming moral superiority by giving away MY money.

This must affect $millions of lost earnings for owners. I think some enterprising law firm should take interest in this.

look on twitter, there is a thread concerning class action against airbnb. cost me over 5k already. I have 6 rentals in myrtle beach. hopefully another platform jumps in here to handle the market. the funny thing is, I am now considering switching over to annuals with my units and take the safe money but I have existing airbnb reservations out through may-aug that if I cancel on them, I would be penalized should i  decide to continue doing business with them...its a joke. and then they had the nerve to ask us to petition congress essentially on their behalf. hope the whole thing crumbles. it would have taken just a little good will, 50/50 hit to host and guest with airbnb generously giving up their take and I would have called it fair but f*ck em.

I lost $10K because they gave full refunds to guests from MY money.  If we have enough people, we should still be able to sue them for breach of contract, right??  We should not let Airbnb get away with this.

This just happened to me today. What can I do about it? What did you all do?

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

As far as the lawsuit goes, I dont know there might be  something there since they just changed the policy the way they did. Even though we signed a no lawsuit agreement I wouldnt think that they can do whatever they wanted. So maybe. Anybody know a lawyer?

Count me in, but I don't know a good lawyer.

@Sam397   You are correct.  Airbnb violated it's own Terms which stipulate that they cannot enact modification to their terms until 30 days after notifying the Host.  They did that multiple times with the COVID-19 policy and all its updates.  Airbnb is quite aware of this, but they do not care.  They are betting very few Hosts will file arbitration.  If you are curious about arbitration (or possibility of collective legal action) please private message me.

I am very interested in arbitration and anything I can do to take action against airbnb for much more than just covid-19 related issues.

Steph-and-Nate0
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Ripped us off for 4 cancellations that took place before the COVID 19 EC policy applied to area. Confirmed we would be paid both on the phone and in writing that the funds were being distributed, then a few days later changed their policy to included the date of our cancellation Mar 11th and our area. Then 1 day later changed the policy back to only include cancellations in our area after the 14th. But even though the cancellation and transaction were completed when the policy did not qualify them for a full refund, and it presently does not apply, somehow Airbnb still trying t on claim that somewhere in time there was an excuse to not pay us, even though the rule change happens after the transaction was completed, AND changed back a day later as if the change was in error. They also have not paid over $1800 in outstanding damages as well for which before and after photos were submitted and terms were agreed to. Also looking to leave the platform after 5 years of hosting. Airbnb treats hosts like they're the mafia and we have no rights. Bad business - reporting to BBB and will take to court.

Trish164
Level 2
Alachua, FL

They did it to me too.  Brutal. Now they claimed the would give us 25%, woopie, now no email nor application.