APOLOGIES TO 'GUESTS' READING THESE FORUMS

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

APOLOGIES TO 'GUESTS' READING THESE FORUMS

Many people come to these forums for advice or to share information and I have personally LEARNED ALOT from them.  And to those I say THANK YOU many times over.

It seems at least 50% of hosts come on here to complain tho, with no purpose other than to vent. Why they put it on a public site where potential guests also have access to is beyond me. Maybe guests are learning how to be 'good guests' from these posts, or maybe they are simply getting turned off and noting which homes (and which angry hosts) they are sure to stay clear from.

Is hosting a perfect job? Absolutely not. If i didnt need the money would i do it? No, I wouldnt. But it is still a paying JOB and I (we) need to recognize it as one. Jobs are WORK. Jobs interfere with our personal lives. Jobs are often not enjoyable. Jobs give us many reasons to want to quit.

So? Either quit or suck it up and get over it. Stop sweating the small stuff (and theres some REALLY SMALL STUFF on these forums!) Remember that guests have access to these forums too. If you need to complain (as we all do) tell your mother, your husband, your best friend then post something CONSTRUCTIVE here.

And by all means if your issue needs immediate attention CONTACT AIRBNB, as responses here are not instantaneous and should never be considered official resolutions.

If youre attracting unwanted guests, try re-wording your ad. If theyre consistently ruining your 'expensive' bedding, use cheaper bedding! If they are arriving at unwanted times, narrow your check in window. Are the cons outweighing the pros? Consider deactivating your listing.

Maybe it is better to be PR0-active rather than RE-active? You decide.

Guests are people too. Happy hosting!

21 Replies 21
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Dee9  the point of this forum, or "community" was, I thought, to give hosts a place where we could share. Especially in this room, which is clearly intended for hosts.  I am totally in the group that doesn't really share success stories, as that's what I expect the experience to be.   It's when I have unsuccessful stories that I need a shoulder to lean on, and some advice, that I will post in here, and honestly at that point, I'm probably already pretty frustrated before I even walk in the door.   It doesn't affect me one way or another if a guest comes in here to read, I actually think it's good for a guest to get unfiltered feedback.  I also participate in the reddit airbnb forum, and it's open to all airbnb users, not split into guest thread/host thread, and I love the fact that there are massive host rants, and also massive guest rants.  It gives me a perspective into the guest headspace as I'm rarely a guest myself.  

I also assume that every character I type into cyberspace is public, and I think that most people know this as well, even if it isn't at the forefront when they are participating online.     If we can't rant here, exchange info, swear at TPTB, where else can we go?  My family is sick of hearing about Airbnb so I need like minded people to have fellowship with, even if a lot of it is negative.

exactly, then perhaps hosting isnt for you or people who feel like you.

@Maria-Lurdes0

if all you have to say is negative and nothing positive

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

[Inappropriate content hidden]

I actually feel that the past several posts by @Dee9 have been exceptionally negative which is quite ironic. Your entire post is complaining about hosts who... complain. Maybe Airbnb isn't for you if you don't like other hosts sharing their experiences. Or the message boards aren't, anyway. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Maria-Lurdes0 I feel like I am also starting to bore my friends and family with all my talk of Airbnb! Glad to know I am not alone...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Dee9@Maria-Lurdes0@Louise47@Huma0,

Good to see you sharing your thoughts regarding the Community Center. I am just going to step in here though, as it is starting to get rather personal which is definitely one of the things the CC isn't about. I hope, as regulars to the CC and hosts that many others here respect, you would agree with me on this too!

I strongly believe that it is good to be able to share our own thoughts and opinions on things and I think the Community Center is a place to do this. It is important that we are respectful though to each other, even if we don't agree, it is not a negative thing if we don't agree, it only turns negative when it gets personal and away from the actual point. We can learn from each other and hear other point of views, which adds spice to our discussions. 

It is inevitable though, as much as we would like it, not everything we talk about here is going to have a positive outlook and as you say Maria and Huma you like to share your experiences with other hosts and gather support, and hopefully gain insight to grow as a host :). I know many hosts like the Community Center for this reason. This being said, I hope you would also want to share the positive moments too and with this, I do think Diana has some valid points here, that is is important we have this balance and that we do share and enjoy the positive moments as well - that is what I believe life is about.

There are so so so many great topics here in the CC, it would take me a long time to list all the wonderful posts from hosts sharing their stories, tips, support, but it is up to us if you want more of a particualar conversation. I would like to add to the comments above, that there are so many things we can discuss here in the CC, hosting and Airbnb related topics are of course one of the main focuses, but other interests besides this like hobbies, favourite books, funny anecdotes, technology or interesting things we came across are all other things we can share with each other here.

This is our Community Center and we are the ones who have the opportunity to introduce these types of discussion here and mould what we want the CC to be about and why we want to spend time here, and this can be multiple things! 🙂

I hope we can continue this conversation further.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Kudos @Lizzie

Some positive points:

I am grateful for the extra monies hosting has brought in. 

And even tho I am a pretty hands off host, I have enjoyed some interesting convos with guests from all over the world. (I never could have imagined people from Paris or Italy would be staying at my house!) 

Of course they are not always the 'perfect' guest but neither are we always the 'perfect hosts'. 

You make some good points Lizzie. Lots of other things to talk about besides complaints. 

Hi Lizzie,

That's a lengthly sermon, don't you think?

Some thoughts of value, yes, but a bit rich considering the age and experience

of some of the immediate hosts here - by that I mean in their 50s and 60s. 

May we all ask your age and experience in this hosting activity?

As @Maria Lurdes correctly writes, this forum ("CC") is the precise floor

from which to stand and vent. The readers are fellow hosts, have similar frustrations,

great insights, and I don't think anyone wants to hold back.

I don't totally agree with the views of @Dee9, but welcome her and anything she writes 

no matter what. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you @Maria-Lurdes0 for articulating what I am sure many hosts would like to say about the value of these forums for hosts.

Yes it is good to celebrate positives @Dee9.

But's let face it with forums like this hosts will come here to let off steam, particularly when things go wrong and when guests behave badly.

I don't think the fact that guests can see our posts should stop us from asking for advice and gaining support and feedback when things go wrong. Whether that is a guest who trashes a property, holds late night parties, or when a host turns to BNB for help through its guarantee and ends up wading through treacle only to find they can't get the support they expect.

It's a shame @Diane that you feel it's appropriate to tell @Maria Lurdes 'perhaps hosting isn't for you or people who feel like you'. I am sure her guests wouldn't agree with you.

@Maria-Lurdes0@Dee9

Maria Lurdes,

You're successful and I applaud you. Tu es b'en.

It is a tremendous amount of work, and you have built

it yourself. And in New York, yet. Next time there, we'll

look you up.

Rant all you wish. You're articulate and your thoughts 

have value.

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

To be honest, I don't feel like I can vent to people outside of Airbnb at all. The impression that a lot of people seem to have is that it's a huge money-maker (not necessarily true) and that hosts should shut-up, put-up and just stop complaining. Seriously, I don't get a lot of support out in the real world over my hosting concerns. 

I don't know what I would do without the feedback of other hosts at times. I often post sections of my listing here asking for feedback and yes, that is normally prompted by a complaint I have. Although I do tend to avoid chronic complainers, complaining itself can actually be good for one's mental health. It's better than swallowing everything, IMO.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eileen4 I sympathise totally. I don't think unless you have experienced hosting on Airbnb that you can really understand all the complications! I certainly didn't have a clue when I started and these forums and the advice from more experienced hosts has proved invaluable. I really enjoy our discussions. Even if they usually start with a moan, they often end with some useful information or ideas I hadn't thought of. Some of the advice I received has resulted in really positive changes to my hosting experience.

@Lizzie, also on a positive note, my most recent guests were wonderful. They were so happy with everything, no trouble at all, really enjoyable to talk to and left me a glowing review. It's a shame they were only here two nights! I'm going to send my wish out there into the ether and hope for more guests like those!

☮ ❤

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Hello @Lizzie@Dee9@Helen3@Huma0, and all,

I see both sides.  No one is wrong.  We need to unburden our minds and hearts with those that can understand and empathize.  We also need to laugh and go RIGHT ON! with those same people.  My sister thinks it is funny that I have to clean up pee stains of strangers   But only you guys truly understand the horror and the humor. She is just being a sister.  My brother is dismissive of this as a business and has no idea of what it takes timewise, mentally, physically and emotionally. We need each other for the good and the bad.  I would just like to see more good. Of course most people speak up when things are not so great and rarely ever mention when everything is rainbows and unicorns.

I have seen many things pointed out in the forum both good and bad that made me think and pay more attention.  This has improved my hosting style and also made me hyper aware of potential problems.  I do feel like the forum is mostly negative and therefore I often do not feel like posting positive things because to me it almost feels like bragging in the face of people who seem to be really worn down. And anything I might want to complain about feels petty when compared to people posting really bad things or problems that are always happening.  My ever growing thought is, When does my time come and it happens to me? Have there been guests I was happy to see the backside of? Sure, but truly 95% positive experiences.

In anticipation of the crushing experience I am sure will come my way, I have changed my mind about hosting more.  The money would be great and I am sure some fantastic people will end up staying with other hosts.  I am more circumspect about which threads I read because I do not want to become paranoid or disallusioned.  That is on me, not anyone else.  We all decide what we take from what we read.

I enjoy being able offer my take on something like sharing refrigerator space with guests or what I offer, or anything I think might contribute to helping another host.  I really value being a part of a community and love hearing what you have to say.  I also have a long history of being a shoulder to lean on.  Again, we need that from each other.

I am home with pneumonia.  Thankfully my next guest is not until Saturday.  Maybe after my nap (this has taken all my energy) I will post some truly host affriming experiences with guests and a few with AIrbnb customer service.

Thank you to you all,

Jennifer