ARLINGTON, TEXAS FUTURE LEGISLATION FOR SHORT TERM RENTALS

Traci5
Level 3
Dallas, TX

ARLINGTON, TEXAS FUTURE LEGISLATION FOR SHORT TERM RENTALS

My name is Traci ** and I am a multiple STR homeowner in Arlington, Texas.  I am looking for support from other hosts in the city to go in front of City Council during the January Town Hall meeting in support of our businesses.  If you don't know yet, the city is making Legislation that very well may put the majority of us out of business.  They are considering requiring that you LIVE IN the home you are rentting.  They are also considering limitting the amount of Short Term Rentals in a given area.  Another consideration is limitting the number of guests allowed in a home.  They could also re-define what a STR is, like Ft. Worth did, which TOTALLY ELIMINATED the business in the city of Ft. Worth.  

I am considering putting together s committee of hosts to make our voice heard!!!  The complaints that are coming from the more affluent neighborhoods that have some STRs that are hosting 20+ people are being heard LOUD AND CLEAR by Councilman Charlie Parker.  He is NOT IN FAVOR OF ANY STRs in the city!!!!!

They have hired Cost Compliance to come in and develop the legislature that will be adopted by the city.  Please educate yourself on them.  They are a third party vendor that is doing research into flushing out STR owners who are not registered with the city.   

If you are interested in helping with the cause, our goal is to show how we IMPROVE the integrity of the neighborhoods.  How we BRING IN REVENUE for the city and for the BUSINESSES in the city.  How we help our guests MAKE GOOD MEMORIES in the city of Arlington, Texas.  

I NEED SUPPORT!!  We need to be a louder voice than all those citizens that are COMPLAINING....as well as show that we as hosts CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF OUR EXISTENCE, and what it does to the NEIGHBORHOODS  and CITY in general.

Traci ** [phone number hidden]

71 Replies 71
Elvira51
Level 2
Arlington, TX

JOIN THE LEGAL FIGHT FOR YOUR PROPERTY RIGHTS against Arlington's STR ban!  Click link to review final reading 

https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/346151/FINAL_Short-term_Renta...

Hey I’m late to the conversation and I just signed on a lease to rent out a home in Arlington right by TCC. When is the next protest because this is serious

The ban passed. If you're outside entertainment overlay you are illegal. See city website for complete details.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

They did this in Los Angeles. What these idiots on these city councils don't understand is that there are unintended consequences in cracking down on Airbnb. The business merely gets fragmented. Also there is less tourism revenue. The only winners are possibly renters, although that's not even a guarantee.

https://wordpress.com/post/filminglocationhouse.wordpress.com/93

If you haven't heard, any STR outside entertainment district is banned. Go to the Cuty's website to look at UCF & STR  Reg for all info you need.

Elvira51
Level 2
Arlington, TX

Stopping the Arlington Zoning Ban in the Courts

Thank you for your support of the START Movement and the pursuit of reasonable short term rental regulations for Arlington. We have now officially launched our fundraising campaign to file suit against this illegal ordinance and we really need your support by contributing to the START Movement Stop the Bans Legal Fund at www.startmovement.org/Stop-The-Bans.

On April 23rd, 2019 the City of Arlington passed a zoning ban to eliminate over 90% of all short term rentals in the city, and has set unreasonable regulations on the few dozen short term rentals that will remain. We have given the City of Arlington every opportunity to work with us and they have instead chosen to side with the hysteria of the anti-STR groups and passed the Zoning Ban.

Our recourse at this point is to file suit on this unconstitutional zoning ban, and to be successful we need to raise a significant amount of money to retain legal representation. This is where we need your help. Please contribute to the Stop the Bans Legal Fund at www.startmovement.org/Stop-The-Bans and help us get this ball rolling.

Our intention is to get an injunction in place before the ordinance even takes effect on August 1st and thereby prevent the city from issuing permits or enforcing any part of the ordinance. Please consider the amount of personal income you will lose if the Arlington Zoning Ban stands as you decide how much you are able and willing to contribute to this cause. And for those inside the “STR Zone” keep in mind that without an injunction you will still be out $500 just to apply for a permit. That is several times more than what most other cities charge! Please help today by contributing at www.startmovement.org/Stop-The-Bans.

Please email us at info@startmovement.org if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

START Movement, Inc.

is there a number I can call you at?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Traci5 @Ron253 @Elvira51 @Maria3422 @Edgar-and-Lily0 and others in Arlington, Texas.

Here's an update from what they are doing over in Sydney, Australia

There's loopholes, whilst in some countries the limit of days can be 21, 30 or 180 days use this comparison to your advantage and for the betterment of all in the community

Fears raised about loopholes to Sydney Airbnb Limits

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fears-raised-about-loopholes-to-sydney-airbnb-limits-20190916-p5...

All the very best from Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand which is a separate country to Australia and a short flight between us.

See you soon

Kelly-Anne0
Level 2
Dallas, TX

help!

I had to foreclose on an investor who was running an airbnb and am now told that we have to cease operations if we weren't registered with the City of Arlington for hotel occupancy tax prior to April 23.  

Does anyone know what other options are available?

Elvira51
Level 2
Arlington, TX

Hi Kelly

if you are inside approved zone, you can go Thur the permit process. However it sounds like you are outside designated zone. I encourage you to join START movement as the group is seeking an injunction against the city. Provide your ph number & I can give more info.

Tiffany332
Level 2
Sachse, TX

Big win to Airbnb host in Texas. Breaking News: Austin Court of Appeals declares Austin banned on short term rental unconstitutional and invalidated. Check out the articles: https://www.statesman.com/news/20191127/parts-of-austinrsquos-short-term-rental-rules-unconstitution...

Justus12
Level 2
Arlington, TX

Would love to have more information on this and help support start. Where do I sign up ?