ARLINGTON, TEXAS FUTURE LEGISLATION FOR SHORT TERM RENTALS

Traci5
Level 3
Dallas, TX

ARLINGTON, TEXAS FUTURE LEGISLATION FOR SHORT TERM RENTALS

My name is Traci ** and I am a multiple STR homeowner in Arlington, Texas.  I am looking for support from other hosts in the city to go in front of City Council during the January Town Hall meeting in support of our businesses.  If you don't know yet, the city is making Legislation that very well may put the majority of us out of business.  They are considering requiring that you LIVE IN the home you are rentting.  They are also considering limitting the amount of Short Term Rentals in a given area.  Another consideration is limitting the number of guests allowed in a home.  They could also re-define what a STR is, like Ft. Worth did, which TOTALLY ELIMINATED the business in the city of Ft. Worth.  

I am considering putting together s committee of hosts to make our voice heard!!!  The complaints that are coming from the more affluent neighborhoods that have some STRs that are hosting 20+ people are being heard LOUD AND CLEAR by Councilman Charlie Parker.  He is NOT IN FAVOR OF ANY STRs in the city!!!!!

They have hired Cost Compliance to come in and develop the legislature that will be adopted by the city.  Please educate yourself on them.  They are a third party vendor that is doing research into flushing out STR owners who are not registered with the city.   

If you are interested in helping with the cause, our goal is to show how we IMPROVE the integrity of the neighborhoods.  How we BRING IN REVENUE for the city and for the BUSINESSES in the city.  How we help our guests MAKE GOOD MEMORIES in the city of Arlington, Texas.  

I NEED SUPPORT!!  We need to be a louder voice than all those citizens that are COMPLAINING....as well as show that we as hosts CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF OUR EXISTENCE, and what it does to the NEIGHBORHOODS  and CITY in general.

Traci ** [phone number hidden]

71 Replies 71
Traci5
Level 3
Dallas, TX

I posted this a week ago...and 32 views???  Doesn't ANYONE that hosts in the City of Arlington care about what is going to happen??????  

Yes I do. I'm new and trying get caught up on in's and out of the requirements, etc. 

Hello,

I'm sorely behind on responding.....Not sure if you attending the meeting or not, but the city and its third party assistant are wanting input from all sides.  The citizens in the neighborhoods, STR owners, and renters.....

they are looking for us to fill out surveys on the city's link

www.arlington-tx.gov

or request a paper versionfrom 

email:  mike.bass@arlingtontx.gov

phone:  817-459-5341

The presentation that was given can also be accessed at the city's link as well.  

deadline for filling out the survey is January 31, 2018.  Please spread the word if you might know other STR owners that this legislation might affect.

Thank you!

Traci

I’m a Airbnb host as well. I will request the form to fill out. Do you know when the actual meeting going to be and where we can be heard? The link you put up was only the link to the city. I would like the direct link. If you need to talk so we can help campaign, please in box me or email me at ****

gerald 

***[personal information hidden for safety reasons - to message each other using the Direct Messaging feature here in the Community Center, hover over the profile photo and click 'Send Message']

I have one Airbnb in Arlington. I attended and spoke out for Airbnb’s at the “ban STRs” meeting at Gillian’s Monday. I was treated very rudely and yelled at while trying to explain the accountability of STRs and how it’s our business they’re trying to ban because of a few bad experiences in their neighborhoods. I would love to help in any way and plan to attend future council meetings when it is on the agenda. 

I just bought a home in Arlington and was considering STR. I would like to find out more about this and offer support if I can. I am currently a host.

Thank you for posting and making me aware of the issues.

Hi Janet,

Currently the only Ordinances in effect are:  required registration with the city to start paying HOT taxes (Hotel taxes:  9% City, 6% State)

and the limitation of 2 guests per room + 2  (in other words if you have a 3 bedroom home, you can host 6 guests + 2= total of 8.

I believe this is one of the items on the agenda that will most likely "stick".  

There is another meeting tomorrow night (January 10th) at 2060 Green Oaks  W. Arlington Police station  at 6:30.  Depending on what district you are considering buying in, would depend on which meeting you might want to attend.  There may be zoning limitations put into play.  This meeting is for District 4 and will be headed up by council member Kathryn Wilemon   

Hi Traci

You are very knowledgeable about this process.  Finding info on STR's is a nightmare.  I have a couple of questions if you don't mind sharing.  From what I can find out, Airbnb is now paying the State of Texas  6%  HOT tax for the hosts.  Therefore the host just needs to register with the city and pay the 9% ? Are there any other types of permits or certificates required to host?

Thank you

Hi Traci,

First, I'd like to thank you for sharing information around the STR's in Arlington.  I am currently not a host yet, but I've been thinking about start...  Your post indicated that you've been in this business for awhile.  Would you mind share tips for success STR "host?"  All shared information is greatly appreciated!

Alex.

Hello Janet,

Just reaching out to ask you to attend an Airbnb Meet up in Arlington tomorrow night at 'Boston's' restaurant at 7:00 pm.  I will be there gathering information from current owners and future owners in reference to the city's future legislation.  

As a possible future owner, I am looking for someone that will be willing to be interviewed for a short documentary that I am putting together in reference to this.  It's not a requirement.  No taping will be done tomorrow night.  I am just gathering info for help with that.

Hope you can attend!

Traci

Thanks Traci for all your hard work. Much appreciated! See you at the meetups! 🙂

I’ve been hosting for a couple of months now In Arlington, at my home. Is there any updates on the laws or the restrictions? I heard they wanted to ban it but I don’t have any updates. 

I don’t host but I can tell you what it’s like for a resident that pays a lot of money to buy a house in a residential neighborhood only to find themselves living in hell for the past three years because my neighbor decided to STR her house to anyone. There are parties at least two nights a week in which they throw beer bottles in my yard, keep my children up with loud music, block my driveway with cars, and mistakingly ring my doorbell at all hours of the night. You have no idea what STR do to quiet neighborhoods because as an owner you do not live in the neighborhood and do not have to deal with the inconveniences; your in it to make money. I understand everyone has to make a living but that doesn’t justify letting just anyone rent your property, inconvenience neighbors, and put their safety at risk. One night some guy renting next door was so drunk that he followed my sister n law to our door and was banging, kicking, and screaming to get in.

It’s ridiculous so YES, ALL people care about is the people and their neighborhoods because the hosts have no idea how their jeopardizing the safety of others to make a quick buck. I have a great idea!!! Why don’t you come and spend a week living next to the STR I live next to and see what it’s like on the other end...

That is very unfortunate. Did you call the police and code compliance?  I would not want to live like this and that is why I live onsite and have very strict rules. There are ALWAYS a few bad STR that tarnish the ones that are responsible so we get punished as well. It's not fair but it happens when people lump everyone in the same category instead of going after the bad ones instead.