About a bad review which has been posted by a guest who didn t stay

About a bad review which has been posted by a guest who didn t stay

Hi dear friends ,

Recently we had a guest who checked in and denied to stay,  left the flat .Airbnb cancelled her reservation but she was able to leave a bad review . I contacted to Airbnb about this isuue by sending the message below but noone contacted me after I ve been told "Although I will not be able to further assist you on your request due to the limitation of my scope, I will make sure to escalate this to our higher level of support, so our case manager can further investigate what happened and assist you moving forward." by Kim,  Airbnb support official on 3rd of August.

Any advice to avoid losing our superhost status ll be highly appreciated.  Here is the message I sent:

Hi dear friends ,

Recently we had a guest who checked in and denied to stay,  left the flat .Airbnb cancelled her reservation but she was able to leave a bad review . I contacted to Airbnb about this isuue by sending the message below but noone contacted me after I ve been told "Although I will not be able to further assist you on your request due to the limitation of my scope, I will make sure to escalate this to our higher level of support, so our case manager can further investigate what happened and assist you moving forward." by Kim,  Airbnb support official on 3rd of August.

Any advice to avoid losing our superhost status ll be highly appreciated. 

"Dear official,

I hope everything is getting better in Airbnb community.

I would like to get your support please for an issue that we experienced with our guest "Ms. **** " at **th of July.

Guest checked in at " Magnificent view in the hearth of Galata Tower" and was not satisfied with the stairs and cleanliness. She decided to leave and I was ready to give her full refund, she contacted to Airbnb about her decision. Then I was informed that Airbnb canceled the reservation and provided full refund for Ms. ****.

I directly checked the cleanliness of the flat carefully after guest left to see what made my guest disappointed with the situation but I was not able to note any dirt etc. which would cause any disappointment for the guest. Then I checked my description to see if I didn t mention the stairs and floor. It was written as I knew.

I have the honour of being Airbnb superhost and posses great reviews for the location, value, check-in procedure, accuracy for my flat which wasn t even mentioned in this review.

Briefly; as being a hardworking host who tries to satisfy the guests with every little detail through her hospitality and listing, I m really disappointed to see that a guest who didn t even taste to pleasure of staying at my flat could leave me a review. I assume that there was a misunderstanding and Airbnb standarts will be applied since a guest can t leave a review without staying."

4 Replies 4
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Deniz85 

Deniz, mate, take it on the chin! A guest can cancel on the day of check-in and the automated process will offer both host and guest the opportunity to leave a review, whether the stay took place or not.....it's just the way the programming works I am afraid. But really, this can work to your advantage!

I try my heart out for my guests and in over 400 reviews across two platforms, all but 18 of them have been 5 star, and of those 18 all but 1 were 4 stars!

I did cop my one and only 3 star a few months ago ........

first 3 star review.png

You could say "wow, that probably wouldn't be a good place to stay"! 

But on the other hand, I didn't single this guest out for specific treatment, he received exactly the same standard as all my other 450+ guests have received.....and not one of them experienced the issues he did.....not one!

His review is a bit like the guy in the memorial day march......he is the only one in step!

Deniz, as I said initially, take it on the chin, there are always going to be those 'left hand threaders' in society that no amount of love and care are going to satisfy. But in the end.....their review will say more about them than it will about you......okay!

Cheers........Rob 

Alex460
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

I recently had a guest cancel the day of checkin and get a partial refund due the policy I had selected  He was unable to post a review.   I don't think Airbnb should allow reviews from guests who didn't stay.  That's inaccurate   This guest clearly didn't want to stay and was looking for an excuse to get out of the booking.  Yet the host suffers for this duplicity.  More anti-host attitude from Airbnb

@Deniz85  A UK consumer protection ruling from 2017 forced Airbnb to allow reviews from guests who didn't complete their booking if the cancellation happened on or after checkin date; they made it their default policy globally. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/27/airbnb-agrees-reviews-loophole-intervention-cma-r...

Not saying I agree with the policy, but that's the way it is. 

Thank you dear friends . I don t believe this is what we deserve as host while we push this hard...Sad...