Accomodations didn't fit group size.

Laurie302
Level 2
Port St. Lucie, FL

Accomodations didn't fit group size.

We recently stayed in a nice place in the NC mountains that had sleeping for four.  BUT, the furniture in the place was for three.  Three dining chairs. A single couch that sat three people. a single rickety glider. No arm chairs.  What is up with that? Frankly, the place was very unconfortable for adults.  My husband did not mention this in our review, which irks me silly. I think that a review needs to mention these things for the next visitors to consider or to allow the hosts to fix them. 

39 Replies 39
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Laurie302I looked at the place you rented, and it's accurately portrayed in their listing: they only have 3 chairs shown, plus the couch for 3 and a glider chair. I feel like it's up to you to decide if that works for you, rather than the host to make that determination. Maybe some guests are literally only looking for a place to sleep so extra chairs, etc. aren't important to them. You could have mentioned it in your review, yes, but I don't think it's fair to hold something that was accurately represented in the listing against the host. 

I rent my place for up to 6 people, but it's a tight squeeze with 6. I just make that clear, and leave it for the guest to decide if they can live with it or not. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't agree @Alexandra316 

If you are offering a place for up to four guests then you should have key facilities such as tables, chairs, plates, glasses, cutlery, towels, bedding for four guests.

@Laurie302  did you not mention this to the host and offer them the opportunity to correct the situation?

@Helen3Looks like there was enough of everything except dining chairs, and there were other seating options, so again, I'd say if it was accurately portrayed, I can't see holding it against the host. There's no mention of insufficient bedding, plates, etc. 

I do agree that it's weird to only have 3 dining chairs, but there is another table that looks like it seats 4 in the sunporch, so maybe the host feels that bigger groups can use that table? 

Too cold to eat outside ... and not bringing furniture in.  

I don’t think our guests should be expected to count chairs in the picture, particularly when we’re talking about seating for four, not 12. I  think a group of four can reasonably expect to eat together. My places are for larger groups so I cannot accommodate everybody at the dining table but I mention it in my listing description. As for the sitting area, I think what this host did was just fine. Yes, @Laurie302   It is not  possible to have a decent conversation sitting shoulder to shoulder but it is just is impossible to please all guests. Somebody else will come and complain that there is too much furniture in the room to move around.  I don’t think your host would’ve gone out to buy you some armchairs, but I would imagine would’ve brought an extra chair over. I know I would have  So you should have given the host a chance. 

I would have...my hubby however, who didn't like it any better than I did chose not to.  I think that minor (and they are minor, compared to the large systems of a home) issues like this should be mentioned, to simply be fair to people renting a place.  

I'm curious....do you sit three adults side by side on the couch for conversation?  I honestly do not know anyone who does.   Elbow to elbow? I find it terribly tacky to think that people converse that way.  This is minor compared to the large system of rental facilities, but it's not obvious when looking at the photos. After all, do you expect to sit that close to your friends for conversation? Or prefer some face to face chairs that can be adjusted. Try it sometime.  Miserable. 

@Laurie302Maybe it was "tacky" and "miserable"... I can't say. All that I can say is that you booked a place that was portrayed a certain way, and you got that. If you didn't like it, let the host know and maybe they'll make some changes. Your husband said that you're booking again, so maybe they'll take it to heart. 

Ah..so guest comfort isn't key?  I'll remember that attitude and be more mindful. Thanks for the update on host attitudes. I did not know.

Can I see a phot of you and your guests sitting elbow to elbow conversing?  that would help.

@Laurie302Not sure where you're getting any of this from... if you're not happy with what you got, why not just tell the host? Plain and simple. Send them a private message saying something like "I really enjoyed staying with you, but it would be nice to have another chair and a couple of armchairs for next time". Simple.

she just wants to complain. She's not looking for a solution or suggestions. Best to let this one fall down the page and hope she never books with you. LOL

As for booking again....unless we see the changes, that won't happen again. He was mistaken.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It probably should have four dining chairs (I'm guessing one has been busted and they couldn't find a matching one?). While yes, it's illustrated in the photo, who has three chairs for a place that takes four? The sofa/chair thing isn't so bad imo. 

I stayed in Barbados earlier this year and there were three (mis-matched) wine glasses which I chose to mention in private to the host. He hadn't realised and fixed immediately. 

We did mention at least one thing in private.  I hope it will be remedied. I will not mention it here, but one feature of the place was unusable to due things that would not be healthy.   And it was meant to be a feature.