Account Owner vs Listing Admin vs Team Member vs Co-host?

Sheila350
Level 4
Santa Monica, CA

Account Owner vs Listing Admin vs Team Member vs Co-host?

I am planning to list a property (my only one at this time) but can't figure out the interface between the new 'teams" system and the old "listing admin/co-host" system.  

Specifically, I am the owner of the property and need primary control over all aspects of the property so that I can change management companies, cleaners, see/direct all the finances, etc.  In particular, it is important to me that the ratings and reviews for my property remain with my property/my account, no matter who is helping me manage it, as I may add another property next year in a different area with different managers and want the goodwill to carry over.

That said, I want to allow my property managers to handle all aspects of guest relations, bookings, schedules, cleaning, etc. and see the finances without controlling them. I am paying them very well but  I also want them, if possible, to benefit from the ratings and reviews but not if that means taking them from my account.

My question is:  Is this a situation where I should sign up as an Account Owner and ask my property managers and/or cleaners to join my team?  Who is the listing admin in that situation?  More specifically, who retains the ratings and reviews?  My current managers want to invite me to co-host or something, but that does not sound like the right role for me.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Good question! 

I've used both extensively now, and find that they overlap too much.  However, it's very possible that "Teams" will gain additional functionality in future.

IN BRIEF

If you manage dozens of properties and have full-time assistants helping you, and/or dedicated cleaning staff, then a team can make sense, but you will lose the ability to be a co-host.  You can, however, still invite others to co-host YOUR properties.  If you manage a handful of properties, and have independent co-hosts, then stick with "co-hosts."

PROS OF HAVING A "TEAM"

1. Team-mates can create properties, which you will fully control, and you can limit what they see about your account. (However: an owner could also simply create a bare-bones listing and have the co-host flesh it out).
  2. You can restrict team-members access to property descriptions or guest inquiries if you need to....but do you really?
  3. You can give cleaning & maintenance staff limited access which may help them avoid being inundated by messages (we are still exploring this).  However, they could also just turn off the notifications they don't need.

CONS OF HAVING A "TEAM"

1. You can't become a co-host of someone else's property (but you can invite others to co-host yours)
  2. Your team-mates can't co-host other properties.  If they already do, they will find it very cumbersome to have to setup & manage a new account with a separate email account, etc.
  3. In fact, I think everybody still gets too many messages.

Suggestion for Airbnb:

Teams would me more useful if once could create regional sub-teams that manage a subset of properties.   Perhaps that will come in the future.

---

I hope the above is clear and helps you, Sheila.  Your canyon house is stunning and attractively priced!  I've just added it to my wish list, and it really gets me thinking about when we can do a USA trip.

Best wishes,

Charles

TRIPTER

Sandra4508
Level 2
Arizona, United States

I have a similar question.  I am the owner of a cabin in the name of an LLC business.  My son will be the resident manager and will be building clamping sites on the property.  I want control of the banking and financial information and he will be managing and hosting the property.

What is the best way to set it up?   I spent last night setting up an account, getting my identity verified, the name of the business, banking and taxes verified.  I created a basic listing and set-up a team.  

I think I want him to be listed as the host, not me.  Now it shows me as host with my picture.  

I would like him to get credit for the hosting.  He may be helping others in the area host next summer.

I may get other properties and be my own host or hire another manager at a later time.

I can't figure out the best way to keep me in control of the banking and taxes, and give him control of everything else.  Any advice would be appreciated.