Account access limited due to retaliatory guest

Answered!
Heather1086
Level 9
Boring, OR

Account access limited due to retaliatory guest

Hi all...

First time posting, but I have come to this forum frequently as I started hosting with Airbnb last winter. We have had fantastic guests and superhost status.  At the end of July we Had a guest who during her time there I heard nothing from.  So of course assumed all was well... as she left she sent in a review right away... I was assuming 5️ Like every other guest.  My housekeeper comes a few hours later and finds a mess.  Broken furniture, stained quilt, mountain of garbage, etc.  

I call Airbnb and message about what to do, and use the resolution center for replacement and repair of items.  I also leave an accurate review so future hosts have an idea of this renter.  At that point I can read her review, which has low stars across the board.  Her public review is accurate but all the private comments are full of lies.  Airbnb understandably leaves the review since it didn’t violate policy.  

It had the feel of retaliatory given the damage.

Next, she pays for damages in the resolution center and in less than 24 hrs I get a resolution center request for refund of the cleaning fee.  I call CS and am guided in blocking the guest and told it’s okay to decline especially since it seems retaliatory considering she just paid for damages.  In my response to her I let her know that if there were issues during her stay she could have contacted me and I would have worked to make things right.

i think this is all over until last night.  I got an email from Airbnb notifying me that my account had been made limited due to a report of security cameras.  Which is accurate and fully disclosed on my listing.  All exterior cameras show what can be seen from the street or neighbour's house.  During the guests time there they tampered with them and redirected them.  I would assume that Airbnb would go to my listing first to see the disclosure before freezing my acct.

I am fully booked to mid-October and so worried about losing those reservations... we just started to recover after the covid cancellations.  Any advice???  Anyone dealt with similar before?  I’m waiting for my phone call per the letter they sent.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Heather1086  It seems that you were aware during the guest's stay that they had changed the direction of the cameras? If so, that should have resulted in a immediate message to the guest from you to reposition the cameras as they were. II would have also contacted Airbnb at that point to let them know the guest had done this.

If a guest is doing something they should't, it's best to get ahead of it by taking action. Then at least Airbnb has a record of it.

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34

Brilliant answer @Heather1086  to  that quick witted @Fred13 

I'm sure the people who have those quirky surnames didn't get as much of a hard time back in earlier days than those with the same names today.

@Heather1086are there any descendants of the Boring Family still living in Boring?

I wonder how they first acquired their surname.

It's a great starting topic of conversation.

All the best & I'm glad you are getting your listing back up & operating, hopefully, smooth sailing from now on.

You mean there are people whose last name is Boring, what?

. "May I introduce you to Mr. & Mrs. Boring, and their children Jennifer Boring and Andrew Boring." 

I need another stronger cup of coffee. 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Fred13I believe Boring was known for it's Artesian wells, as most places were before houses & roads were plonked all over the land.

Is that correct @Heather1086 ?

Maybe it's through the Boring families the machinery for Boring is named after @Fred13 

Think about it 👨‍🎓👨‍⚖️ 👩‍🔧👩‍🏭 and what is named after who..

@Helen427 @Honestly not sure... but wouldn’t be surprised.  It’s a great place to live and people tend to stick around once they find their home here.

As we have travelled around the world my kids love to sign into guestbooks noting we are from Boring.  And we actually did visit Dull Scotland when we were in the UK... took a nice off-road drive into the Highlands and had Whiskey in an old hunting bolt.

I bet @Heather1086 it has led to fun conversations indeed. If I had a guest that came from Boring, OR, that one I would never forget. 😉