Acts of kindness

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Acts of kindness

20160721_SeasonalQ2_Carla_Portland_Elliott_1322.jpg

Hi everyone,

It is striking that when most people hear the term "mental health" they associate it with something negative, an illness like depression instead of something positive like balance or happiness.

As we are halfway through the Mental Health Awareness Week (18th-24th May) in the UK, I was thinking of honouring this year's theme, kindness

Why not shine a light on everyday examples of taking the time to go the extra mile for yourself and others?

I think this will be a great discussion for our community as a way of reflecting on daily acts of kindness, whether small or large. By sharing our stories we can inspire each other and become better and stronger.

Thanks,

Nick

51 Replies 51

6824, david 6824.

A vesper martini shaken not stirred please.

Did I have the pleasure to meet you somewhere, somehow, sometime in the past @Ann72?

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

Our first guests in 9 weeks. 2 adults, 2 kids x 2 nights and it's her birthday, so she's getting this little surprise.....

Birthday Girl 2.jpg

@Sharon1014 the Asti Riccadonna would be a big surprise for a kid 😉

Sharon1014
Level 10

@David6824  How observant of you!  That's why the sparkling apple juice goes with it. 😄  Don't know how old the kids (boys) are but thinking around 8-10.  Guests also getting a full bacon n eggs breakfast, and Maple Toffee cheese (heaven on the palate, guests live here but Canadian in origin), crackers and grapes.  That bit of the surprise is in the fridge.

Bacon n eggs.jpg

At 4 I was able to read all brands my mom told me and write it down of course. As an UX/UI Designer no details of a pic could be off from my sight. I now really envy your guests and actually being a bit hungry LOL

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is so nice to see @Sharon1014, and so kind of you. It is lovely to have some special things like this to focus on. A birthday is always a great occasion, but being able to do the things which would normally be quite easy to do, but are not at the moment is extra extra special and worth marking. 

I bet your guests where over the moon. What was their reaction like? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sharon1014
Level 10

@Lizzie  I'll find out the reaction when they check out and leave a review.  We don't meet our guests in person normally.  That said, it was a lovely warm feeling to set up the surprise (better to give than to receive?  though receiving is also pretty nice too 😄 ).

But bottom line, I have a business to run.  Pulling out the stops for our first guests since lockdown is just good business sense.  We hope for a 5 star review across the board.  This will in turn incentivise other bookings during what are normally slow months during our winter, and help to pick up some extra turnover to cover the business we lost in March/April/May.  Method in the madness!  Or kindness?

Sharon1014
Level 10

@Lizzie  Well that was nice.  5 stars in all categories and a huge thank you for the birthday treats. 😄  They ate every last thing, the popcorn, nuts, cheese, every last packet of individual serve cereal (there were 12), bread, butter, grapes (2 large lots of red and white seedless), 2 packs of bacon, dozen premium eggs, 1.5 litres of premium extra cream milk, bottle of sparkling apple juice and the spumante.  In addition to the 4 other empty wine bottles they brought with them.  5 bottles of grog between 2 adults over 2 nights.  Was wondering why they stayed in all the time... LOL... they only walked over the road to the beach 3 times, the rest of the time was just chillin in the apartment... a little gassed up on the happy juice to drive anywhere? .Happy guest.  Happy host.  Mission accomplished.

@Nick there are so many places ppl could go for lunch and dinner for free * volunteers could even find you a shelter for the night* Explain the hosts, we're all hosts here most complaining for airbnb not given aids waiting for grants* rather than take out some of their money to invest to improve their spaces, that would be a good reason and a great post. Thanks.

*offensive content removed*

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @David6824 

I hope you are well today. I'd like to thank you for sharing your contributions here and also to point you out to my most recent post on this thread.

I'm sorry you aren't interested in this topic, but others are. I for one am happy with that and I welcome different voices being heard. Can't think of anything more boring than seeing only things I like or agree with. But welcoming consists of respecting; far from intimidating whoever has a different opinion to mine. Basic human decency really.

I'm also aware this is not the first time you hear about this. Other admins in the Community Center have repeatedly told you this is not a place to have political discussions, talk down to others about their views and beliefs, or not being sensitive with what other countries have to go through.

The fact you keep doing this, means you are deliberately going against the very reason the Community Center exists, which is for hosts from around the world to support each other.

If you have any questions please feel free to DM me.

Thanks
Nick

Hi Nick, always well thanks, hope with you too. Never watched Monty Python did you? Not Dm you as you the admin and I the user, need witnesses. Show me proof I insulted anyone here and I’ll give my excuse and leave cc, on the other hand please stop bugging me. Thanks  🙂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @David6824 

Hope you are doing well.

If you go back to the previous pages of this thread you will see many of your posts that have either been edited or completely removed. This is proof, I'm assuming you know what you wrote in them so you can see where the foul was.

There is no reason for you to give an excuse and leave the CC as you say. You can simply be respective of others and stop focusing on people's IQ level for whatever reason. Please feel free to further educate yourself on the CC's Guidelines by clicking here.

Thanks
Nick

Nothing personal @Nick , I just expected to let you work a bit more. Did you change the top picture in here or you really want guests and host to still share big hugs? My question to you. Cheers mate

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Good morning @David6824 

I never thought it was personal. Implying I'm not smart is the least of my worries. I only care when you say it to other members, or talk down to them.

As for the photo, just to put your mind at ease, it's not what you think, they are not guest and hosts. They all live together. It's complicated 😉