Adding a Cleaning Fee: A Community Help Guide

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Adding a Cleaning Fee: A Community Help Guide

-----------------Update June 5th 2017--------------------

An updated version of this Community Guide is now available, click here to view

-----------------------------------------------

There are mixed feelings of many hosts whether to have a cleaning fee on their listing or not.  Some hosts add a cleaning fee in their listing while others build it into the price.  Here is a Help Guide on how to add a cleaning fee to your listing.

Step 1: Click on "Host" and then "Manage Listings".  You will then want to choose "Manage Listing and Calendar" to edit your listing.

manage listing 2.png

Step 2: On the left hand menu, choose "Pricing" and then scroll down to the "Additional Pricing Options" section.  Check the "Cleaning Fee" box and then enter the amount for your cleaning fee.

cleaning fee.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

27 Replies 27
Rhonda7
Level 1
Victoria, TX

These directions do not seem to be accurate.  When you select pricing it says that pricing has been moved to calendar.  When going to calendar and selecting pricing there is no option for additional pricing options (that I can find)?  Rhonda

Hi @Rhonda7,

It still appears the same for me.  

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

I figured it out.  It was because I had the smart pricing on.  When I turned it off the drop downs for additional options showed.  Though it does show in the right had corner of the calender page not in the left side drop down.  When I go to the left side drop down it says that it has been moved to the calendar page.

Yes @Rhonda7,

There seems to be some people who are getting an upgraded version and once I get it, I will change some of the Help Guides.  I am sure you have a "Check In" button on the left which replaces the terms button that was on the bottom.

David

Where do I add a cleaning deposit?

The trick is that the listing has to be POSTED first to add the cleaning fee and to change the cancellation choice. Once the listing is on, you can go to the bottom left corner of the screen and click on the green button. That will let you SNOOZE the listing until it is ready. I hope this helps. I had to call them to get this information. No one tells anyone that the LISTING has to BE ACTIVE before they can make those changes.

Thank you!!!!! That is the information I have been looking for for weeks now. I will try it instantly. Shame AirBnB does not explain this.

David-and-Dona0
Level 3
Corral de Tierra, CA

Hello:  I've been doing this awhile.  On the page of manage listing, just "edit" and all pricing options come up.  I STRONGLY suggest that you do not build the cost of housekeeping into the price listed for your place.    You want guests searching for places to view a competitive per night rate.  Adding in cleaning to that shown rate makes your listing look more expensive.  

All guests will have a full disclosure of costs and fees before they book so you are not doing anything wrong by plugging in the cleaning fee on the pricing page, separate from the actual cost per night.  In the end, it all gets added together.  I've not had any problems doing it this way.  For bookkeeping purposes it is easier to kept track of if you are keeping your costs in a ledger or quickbooks.  Believe me, you'll need to expense as much as you can if your listing is successful!  Dana

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dave-and-Deb0@I have never had a deposit till now but have a truly have a disgusting female guest who soiled all sheets mattress comers duvets etc last night then went out leaving the mess all day ( I was at work ) and she came in this evening acting as if it's my job to wash and remake her bed as I have never needed a deposit till now do you think I should have one to deal with the laundry costs of such behaviour . ? 

Im at the point of asking her to leave she did the same yesterday .

Hi Sara,

I always had  a deposit.      The deposit should not discourage bookings as it reflects the maximum amount of money you will be able to claim for damages but it is not collected from the guest at the time of booking.    With luck, a deposit makes people be more careful with the property as they know host can claim damages.

Hi @Rhonda0,
I am a new host and still confused abt the cleaning fees.

Does adding the cleaning fee means we have to clean the place every night when the guests is staying at our place? Coz i understand it is not charged to the guest per night. Pls help.. Tq

Hi, I think is a cleaning fee for all the staying, to clean before the guest leaves. Its not a daily room service. 

@Sri2 The additional cleaning fee is a "total cleaning fee" to cover the cost of the houskeeping service fee charged to you (owner) during turnover cleaning between bookings. You are not required to include housekeeping with your listing and clean each day. You can choose to include this option with your booking if you would like but I find that most renters like to have privacy and not worry about the owner or staff entering the property each day. 

Susan329
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Hi All,

Yes I would like to add the cleaning fee in the airbb site but when we do this airbb charge their fee on this amount to both the guest and owner. So I have to have the guest pay direct to me. This is due to I do not want to charge the guest or myself any more than I am being charged by the cleaners. So to all I have included the fee in the description to be paid before or on arrival. If anyone has a better solution let us know.