Adding a guest for part of a stay

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Adding a guest for part of a stay

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to do this as it's something that comes up quite often for me. I have a guest book or want to book a stay and then they have a friend who wants to also stay for part of, but not the whole, period. I normally charge an additional £15 per night for a second person in one of my rooms. However, I cannot see any way to add this to the booking unless it's for the whole stay.

The only way I've figured out how to charge for the second guest is to send a request for additional services for the £15 x number of nights. However, if I do that, the extra person is not officially on the booking and therefore I assume I am not covered should they cause any problems/damage.

Any ideas how I, or the guests, can officially add an extra guest (and the associated fees) for part of a stay?

12 Replies 12
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Huma0 The current setting doesn't facilitate that. The only doable solution would be to create a new listing for shared space, which would not be worth, at least, my while.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Marzena4, I thought that might be the case. It's a very common request in my experience, so it's a shame that Airbnb doesn't facilitate that. I feel a bit uncomfortable having overnight guests who are not officially booked in any way.

@Huma0 If it's recurrent, set up that listing. Just might be safe to unlist it and only turn on when needed.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Huma0 When this happens you may create the adjustment to the guest count and then override the price that abb adds to just add the amount that is correct. I would then follow up with a abb message that clarifies that they have added a guest for x days. This will make the pricing correct and will get the correct guest count in the reservation 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 that's a great solution. I'm going to try that if the guest's friend decides to stay also. So, when you adjust the price, do you need to factor in the Airbnb guest fees, or just the £15 extra per night?

@Huma0 you'll just be adjusting the base price. After that abb will deduct your host fee, add their guest fee/taxes etc

i always tell guests that I never see their actual bill from abb but only know my rate

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Kelly149. That sounds pretty straightforward then!

John2178
Level 2
Randwick, Australia

Can you get the person making the booking to book for 2 stays? The first being up until the 2nd guest arrives and second with the two of them showing as per normal? And you get two reviews as well! LOL

Cheers.

JD

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John2178, yes that works too! I did this with a long term guest staying three months, but with a friend staying with her the first two weeks. Because we’re talking about a long time period, it seemed worth splitting into two reservations. The guest only left me one review though!

it starts to get more complicated when the extra guest stays in the middle rather than beginning or end because then you have to split it into three bookings, or if they are only staying one night as I don’t accept one night bookings so would have to change my settings for that night etc etc.

the guest I mentioned above also had a boyfriend stay over a night here and there and was happy to pay the extra fee. In that scenario, it was easier to do it as an additional service fee and then just trust that he would behave!

Thanks for your swift and helpful reply.

I have had a lot of various levels of bad etc behaviours. Even had to call the Police to remove one couple.

So many lie to my face about trivial things then give a poor review (even after saying otherwise).

@Huma0

How about having the guest send a booking request for 2 guests for the entire duration, then you send a special offer with the adjusted price with a simple explanation saying the adjustment is assuming XX nights for 1 guest = 000 amount (00 per night) plus X nights for 2 guests =00 amount (00 + 15 per night). Total for stay is X0X0 amount, and then have the guest proceed with payment. 

This way the booking is for 2 guests, but in a way you are deducting the extra person fee for nights when it is clear there will be only one guest. Also, you could add that if the 2nd guest stays longer or more than initially agreed, you will have to send a request for money for the nights you initially deducted. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

Yes, this seems the most logical way to proceed. Previously, I've just charged it as an additional service but then of course the second guest is not official.