Adding a proviso to the "would you host again" review

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Adding a proviso to the "would you host again" review

I think it would be useful if an additional optionwas added to the "would you host again" part of the review by a host.

i.e. Yes but with the proviso that:

e.g. if they give me more notice of thier expected arrival time

e.g if the dont leave the lights and fire on all day

etc.

Do others think it would be useful or would they answer no for the above examples.

12 Replies 12
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

While your ideas would be helpful, I would like to go deeper. What does that yes or no question do? I've only marked no on one group. I can't find it on the review. The only thing I can think of is the option on the instant booking checklist "recommended by other hosts" perhaps if they have that black mark in their history they can't insta-book with hosts who require it. If you can shed some light I'm curious. 

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Umm. Now you mention it, I haven't found the one "no" I marked. 

The other problem of course is that was a group of 4. If the one who booked was blocked from booking again, then one of his 3 mates could book instead.

I had the oposite 2 days ago. A guest requested a booking saying" would be great to stay AGAIN". I could not see he had stayed becfore. When I asked he said he stayed with his son ***. I then found a previous booked labelled as *** and dad.

I suppose all reviews have limits no matter how honest.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Yeah, that whole "again" thing, I encourage my booking guest to have their party sign up for individual airbnb accounts so they can add them to the booking. That way everyone gets a review or two under their belt. Nobody has but I like to give the info. Actually I've only seen one guest with such an addon. No reviews for her but her profile said she was with a group and their review was positive. I stopped trying to figure it out. 

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I didnt even know they could do that.  In the end it is back to gut instinct.

btw my "if they give me more notice of their expected arrival time" have just checked out and have left the place so clean and tidy it balances things up tbh. 4 star for communication and 5 star everything else.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Nikki39 @Jim472, the 'No' theoretically stops them from instant booking with you or other hosts with the 'previous good reviews' option ticked. @Nikki39, I think that's a good idea because I often think 'Yes, but only if....' when I come to that page. I have many guests who are lovely and well-intentioned but have quirks that make them less than ideal. However, unless other hosts can see it (which they cant currently), there wouldn't be much point to it!

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

@Kath9the quirky comment made me think. We all have quirks, guests and hosts alike and some of mine fit well with some of those of some guests and less well with others (like most relationships in life!). What would be really useful, but an organisational nightmare, would to be able to discuss a review left by a host with that host. The ability to ask what did you really mean by .......?

@Nikki39  What's genuinely helpful to other hosts is the content of your text review, so this would be the appropriate place to elaborate on the pros and cons of hosting the guest.

The star ratings and thumbs up/down are just numerical data, and really the only thing that Airbnb is using them for is to pressure hosts to enable Instant Book. Those who are actively screening their guests can only see the text review, so it's important that it contains details that will help make an educated decision.

I am a new host. I had not realized that the ONLY thing future hosts see is the text review. I wish I was more aware of that with one family that I would not host again. I would have been more detailed as a way of warning future hosts. Perhaps Airbnb can indicate that the comments are the ONLY thing that future hosts see. I was shocked that the star rating did not show up.

Michelle2137
Level 4
New South Wales, Australia

I think that's a great idea. Hosts should know the people they are letting Ito their homes. It's probably not an issue for a lot of people but I rent my own home. Touch wood I have not yet had a really bad guest but my last guest came right at checkout time which meant the cleaner was put in an awkward position. the guests were decent, tidied up bed and such and I had to put it on the fact that they had previously requested early check in because they drove up the coast from their nightshift. so I ended up giving the benefit of the doubt but it would've been nice to notify future hosts.

btw I am not able to see the profile of any of the guests that request to book. is that the norm for Airbnb?

You can see their profile but many dont put anything on it and you cant see their picture until after you have accepted the reservation.

The star ratings and thumbs up/down are just numerical data, and really the only thing that Airbnb is using them for is to pressure hosts to enable Instant Book.

...and, most importantly, to determine your status/rank on the site as to whether you qualify as a "Superhost" or are to be warned by AirBnB for daring to drop below a 4.5, or whatever the current value is.

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Neither did I and like you would have been more "direct" in an early review. I think you get the hang of it as you do more. I have only over 3 years had one set of guests that I wouldn't have back. There have been one or two where I would have back do things a bit differently myself.