Additional charge for handicap accesibilities

Laurie99
Level 1
Pikesville, MD

Additional charge for handicap accesibilities

I have a four story townhouse - I have two stairlifts that we use for my mother. When the place is rented out I have them locked. Is it okay to advertise and charge extra for the lifts. We also have a handicap toilet seat locked away which can be added and grab bars in the bathroom.

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You have a unique amenity, @Laurie99 which I am sure many physically challenged guests would appreciate and thus book your place.  Of course you can charge for any additional amenities but if you include the amenity in the searchable amenities, it is usually assumed that it is included in the nightly rate posted.  While you can still charge for it, you might open yourselves up for guest complaints.  Are there additional expenses or trouble for you related to activating the stair lift?  If not, it might just be good for marketing.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

You MAY get into trouble w/AirBnB for not treating handicapped guests the same as normal guests - without an extra charge. Of COURSE a four story unit is not gonna allow certain handicapped guests to use the entire structure without the lift(s)...so AirBnB COULD claim you are limiting them by not enabling an existing "item" in the house without an extra charge. 

I don't know, I am just looking at it from their nondiscrimination policy.

Wouldn't it be a BIT like me having lamps in my apartment yet locking off the electricity for them because blind guests don't need lights, but sighted guests must pay extra for me to turn them on?

Don't flame me - I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Laurie99
Level 1
Pikesville, MD

Thank you all for your input. Yes it is additional to activate the stair lifts and to install and clean the handicap toilet seat. The grab bar is already in place. Part of me feels bad about the extra fee, but then I know I would pay anything extra to get a place my mother could stay in. The stair lifts (2 of them ) are $4000 each per unit and very delicate if not used properly.  If I leave them activated all the time, children tend to use them as a toy. I am very torn about what to do and appreciate any and all input. And no it is not the same thing as locking your lights off. I am trying to find out if anyone else has the same situation.

@Laurie99

why don't you make 2 listings of the same home, one with and another without all this acessories? Set up a different price and link them together so when one is booked then another one is blocked too. This way you can advertise the same place in a different , custom way , for example with a different title and text where you will emphasize all those special features 

thank you - that sounds like a great idea

Great idea! @Branka-and-Silvia0

Excellent idea

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Why not just make NO mention of it at all. Take it totally out of the rental mix. You have it for your mom (private use), why not just keep it that way. Granted it is a plus, but at what 'cost'.

@Laurie99 I'm totally with @Fred13.

I think offering these things at a cost would lead to more trouble than what you'd ever get paid. 

Because it is rare for disabled people to have access to places where they can stay for holidays, so why not giving them the opportunity for them too to have a holiday and a nice stay with their family?