Advice - How do I clasify/announce my place according to my goals?

Fernando1415
Level 2
San Juan, AR

Advice - How do I clasify/announce my place according to my goals?

Here it goes before getting started. I´m remodeling my two-floor plus terrace with barbecue room home to receive guests. The access to the place will be the same as myself but then guesses will reach a second door to enter an autonomous whole area (with me living next door):

First floor:

A lounge/dining room equipped with kitchen and cooking stuff

One half bathroom (no shower)

Second floor:

Two bedrooms

One bathroom

Access to a spacious garden like terrace, including a typical barbecue room called "quincho con parrillero".

Each room will have two single beds plus the option to a third smaller bed

Then I could accommodate from one to six people at the same time.

And I´m thinking I could rent the whole unit to one guess (or group) or I could rent on a per room basis. I could even rent on a per person basis, but maybe this is too much of a mess to deal with.

So, what type of building/concept would I be offering and how could I announce it to make it clear?

What do you think in general about the scheme I have in mind?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Fernando

16 Replies 16
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Fernando1415 ,

Great to see you here on the Community. Perhaps you can also share a link to your listing if it is published? That will help your fellow hosts provide feedback more concisely.

Thanks

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Fernando1415
Level 2
San Juan, AR

Hi Steph. I´ve started writing my profile (in spanish though) but still don´t have pictures to show since the works are underway.

Language is also an issue I don´t know how to deal with. Is it possible to announce my place in spanish/english? One of the strengths I have to offer to my potential guests is myself being bilingual and pluricultural.

From a conceptual point of view I feel I could offer my place as an entire piece or on a per room basis. In the second option guests should share the lounge and kitchen, the bathroom and the terrace/barbacue area.

I really need someone from AirBnB to discuss this concepts and how to write them down in my announcement.

Kind regards,

Fernando

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

In parallel to this @Fernando1415 , let me introduce you to @Sergi , who is in charge of the Spanish speaking community. He will be able to help you post this topic in that community too 🙂

-----

Sergi
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hola @Fernando1415 , soy Sergi y me encargo del foro hispanohablante de Airbnb. Te dejo el enlace del foro hispano hablante:

El Centro de la Comunidad

En este foro podrás plantear tus inquietudes con el resto de la Comunidad, permíteme que te hable de alguno de los usuarios más activos y que más ayudan a otros usuarios, como por ejemplo Jessi7, Michael 477, Juan306 o Antonio-Luis0, entre otros. Estos usuarios están compartiendo su conocimiento y hablan de todo tipo de temas e informan y contestan las preguntas de otros usuarios más noveles, en caso de que tengan la información, claro. Así  que no dudes en escribir también en este foro tus dudas. 

Por otro lado quiero compartir contigo algunas de las secciones más útiles del foro: 

Bueno, @Fernando1415 , eso es todo hasta el momento. Te esperamos en el foro hispanohablante. Si tienes cualquier duda de su funcionamiento, no dudes en preguntarme.

Saludos.

Sergi

-----

Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Fernando1415  You say the guest space would be accessed through the same entry you use- does this mean the front gate, or they would use the same front door you do and have to pass through your personal space? That factors in to how you list it. Usually "Entire place" means there is a private entrance, but of course if one is listing an entire apartment, that would entail using the same building entrance and hallways that the other apartment dwellers do, and that would still be considered an entire place.

As far as whether to rent out the space to unrelated groups of guests, it doesn't seem that would be practical, considering the bathroom layout. And it would o longer be considered private. Also, it is a different situation for the host to do this- there could easily be problems if one guest or group is loud, don't get along, or leave the bathroom and kitchen a mess, etc.

Very good points Sarah... I really appreciate your help.

ACCESS: The apartment is located upstairs, so there is just one front door to the sidewalk and a stairway to the (let´s call it) first floor. At the end of the stairs there is a small hall (once in the first floor) with three doors. One door to the left goes to my kitchen (*), one straight ahead one goes to the guesthouse and the other to the right goes to where I live.

(*) this is the Gordian Knot to untie. I need to go through the hall to reach and leave my kitchen. So, I could find someone going in and out of the guesthouse

GESTHOUSE (let´s call it this way):

The door mentioned above goes to a lounge/dining room with an integrated kitchen and access to half a bathroom (no shower). So, guests can cook something light and stay there privately, next door to me, who will be available as a landlord for help.

There is a second stairway to a second floor where the guests reach a distribution hall again, with four doors. Bedroom 1, bathroom, bedroom 2, terrace. The terrace is big and have a garden and the shadow of the big street trees. And to finish, there is a barbecue room (yes, barbecue is really something in Argentina) with all you need to make barbecue and use it as a living room.

UNRELATED GUESTS: I like your point, especially if I can offer the whole place as a private apartment. The idea of unrelated guests would apply only if I have no option but to offer private rooms instead of a whole unit

Regards,

Fernando

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Fernando1415   If I am understanding this, then I think your listing would quality as an entire guest house/apartment.  Our listing is a two family house, so there is 1 door to the outside, a small inside entry hall that has two doors, one door to  our apartment and one door to the airbn....but since the unit itself is fully self contained, it counts as an entire apartment.  It sounds like yours is the same, I think just because you might run into a guest in the hallway does not change that they have their own door to the unit and the unit is self containd.

I would also say you might want to have at least one bedroom with a double bed since many, many guests will be a couple.

Hi Mark, you got the picture beautifully!

Thanks a lot for your insight. And by the way, you are giving me some hints about the beds configuration per room. Yes, it looks like if I offer the guesthouse completely to only one group, a double bed in one room should be a plus for a family.

I hope you are doing great!

Regards,

Fernando

@Stephanie @Sarah977 

I am totally upset. I think I am bad host. I think I better delist - but do not know how to do it. I do not want to desappoint my guests.

I cannot enter my account. I am totally depressed - please, help me! I want to see my account not as a guest - as I only can do now - but only as a HOST! I would never be able to be a guest even in my  own country - I needed the money to do something good for guests and to have bread to live on. 

One more question - in case I delist in two months time - do I have to leave all my money earned until now to stay as propoprty to Airbnb firm? Please, help me!

Now I have on account, no my own listing. What I should do? I am in big depression. Please, help!

@Lilly28  Can you be more clear about what is going on with your account? I don't understand. You can't log-in to your hosting account? Have you cleared your cache, tried another internet browser? Have you clicked on your profile photo in the top right corner when you are logged in (as a guest, which is what you say is happening?) and scrolled down to where it says "Switch to travelling"  or "Switch to hosting"? Try those things first- sounds like you might have clicked on something by accident that took you from host mode to travelling mode. Or there's just some tech glitch on your account. Have you contacted Airbnb to see if they can help? 

What do you mean you're a bad host? You have wonderful reviews, it's clear that your guests love you and your place. 

And if you do decide not to host anymore, of course all the money you've earned as a host is yours to keep, why would you think you have to give it back to Airbnb? Maybe you just need a break for awhile, Lilly. You can delist and then start back up again whenever you want.

But first things first- you need to be able to log into your hosting account.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

As @Sarah977 accurately depicted, would you mind letting me know what the issue is? Perhaps share a screenshot. Sarah's troubleshooting tips are a great place to start.

Thanks

-----

Matilde106
Level 1
Ramos Mejía, AR

Buenos días!!! Soy anfitrión de Argentina desde hace 2 meses y necesito saber de qué forma operan para cobrar las estadías ya que no he podido hacerlo tal como lo transfiere Airbnb en mi cuenta de PayPal (dólares). Podrían ayudarme para hacer lo más conveniente?. Mil gracias

Fernando1415
Level 2
San Juan, AR

Hola @Matilde106 yo también soy de Argentina. Creo que deberías plantear tu consulta en el foro hispanoparlante que me indicó Sergi:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Centro-de-la-Comunidad-SP/ct-p/centro-de-la-comunidad?lang=es

Saludos,

Fernando

@Sarah977 @Stephanie 

Thank you for your reply, support and help! I was not able to enter my listing as a host - only as a guest for about 5 days! Problems started slowly - first it was just for a day or several hours - and all this happened when they changed the way listing is appearing - in the past in English - and now in my own lunguage - Bulgarian. The view of the listing is new, the way to enter in - also, and when finally I found that I can only be a candidate-guest - and cannot enter my listing as a host - I just fell in deep depression. Well, things are o.k. for now. Coronavirus adds a bit to the bad news.  But I am much more worried about the financial crisis than from the virus. I wish you good luck!