Advice, Laughs, Wine, Skype - Hawaii via New Zealand

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Advice, Laughs, Wine, Skype - Hawaii via New Zealand

Aloha Fellow Hosts Around the World,

I just wanted to share a positive experience that has made me a better host.  I made Superhost within 3 months of starting in 2015, but I truly believe that there is still more to learn and new ways to be better. 

A few weeks ago, I noticed a new host from New Zealand @Roz had posted a few times -  she was seeking advice on several topics, and several hosts were great to reply and share their thoughts. (including me).  I loved what she wrote back so much that I had to seek this beautiful woman out. After posting some helpful advice to her, I sent her a private message through the CC giving her my Skype Name in case she wanted some immediate help, advice, or more laughs. (She had posted on the CC that my replies were "THE BEST". I wanted to thank her personally face to face.  After connecting on Skype, we have become like "sisters from another mister!."   While she may be a host of only 8 weeks, she actually helped me a great deal with a touchy situation regarding a booking requests I was having concerns about.  And she sought me out days later for a NYE's booking requests that she wanted to turn down.  (but glad she didn't after taking my advice) 

The reason we do this is because we truly respect each other, value each others' opinions...and have so much fun talking about Airbnbs' future, our guests, and our families.  (and keeping Airbnb phone lines open for other hosts)...haha

Even though we live 9,742 miles apart, we are there for each other.  We can send text messages to each other via our Iphone, and now Facetime (since its free on WIFI), which has been such a great morale boost for me.  My life is even more blessed via Airbnb because of hosts like ROZ.  Most likely, we would have never met otherwise.  

Roz may not know the true extent of how much I adore and respect her, but I am extremely grateful for her approach on hosting, as it does differ from mine (she rents a studio home, I have a private room) but her approach has even helped me. 

One day soon, I will be fulfilling my bucket list dream to visit New Zealand, and you can bet I will be sending her a booking request when we do.  The funny thing is, as I sit here and write this, I got an IB from another ABB host in DC, (who also failed to read my House Rules) hahahaha - she also asked me if I knew another great host in NZ for her next destination after Hawaii.....you bet I do I told her!!

( And now @Roz4 will be getting a booking request from my IB guests.  Most likely, her calendar will be full.  She is that awesome.

And this is how, the Community Center (CC) is benefitting us hosts even more.....Thanks @Airbnb @JoeGebs @Lizzie !  I want to encourage other hosts to do the same, reach out, touch someone, share your phone numbers, Skype names, etc....because sometimes, hearing a friendly voice is better then reading a bunch of words. And her voice is very friendly with that fun accent of hers.

Dear @Roz4....thank you for taking my advice, and raising your cleaning fee another $5, you deserve it!  Just don't forget to send my host consulting fees in the form of NZ wine and your consulting fee will be paid in the form of Hawaiian coffee......LOL!!!!    XOXOXOX -  Me Ke Aloha 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

1 Reply 1
Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Momi0 you are truely one of a kind! Your kind and thought provoking replies kept me coming back for more! It was exciting to think other hosts were so generous with their time and had so many good ideas that could help me make this a successful business. Within weeks of starting, my version of what it meant to be a host had completely changed.

Ive always tried to surround myself in brilliant minds and experts when I start in a new direction and the community centre allows us to do that in the airbnb field.

I do think we can all learn from each other. As airbnb reminds us, each host has their own style. But I find when talking to momi I am challenged to consider what my stand point/style is. So while I dont put all her gems into action, her pearls of wisdom do make me consider my poisition and I need to decide whether my current position is just because Im flying by the seat of my pants, or whether Ive actually thought through about why this works for me and is something Im comfortable with!!

I look forward to more facetime wines with you momi!!! Also- you havent answered my question yet about how I see what my guests wrote about their past hosts!!!

Love Roz

PS Can you make the distance between NZ and Hawaii culturally relevant for me...Km please, not miles Bahahahaha