Advice for Refund over Noise Issue

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

Advice for Refund over Noise Issue

I could use some advice with a situation... we have a two-family home with units on the first and second floors of a 1890s house. Though we gutted the house and added sound attenuation between floors, you can still hear movement and muffled voices upstairs. A family with an 11-month-old are staying upstairs and an older couple downstairs. From the first morning, the downstairs guests were complaining of the noise and I spoke to the upstairs guests to be mindful of their noise.

On Monday morning, we gave them a $50 gift card to a local restaurant as an apology for the rocky start to their reservation. Immediately they wrote back that they didn't think they could stay in the unit.

We spoke to them in person and offered the downstairs guests a full refund of the week and to find alternative accommodations but they decided to think about it.

On Wednesday morning, I received a message simply that they decided to leave. They didn't ask for a refund but should we refund the remaining nights? Losing the income is rough but we did promise a refund earlier in the week thinking that we could salvage a last-minute rental if they left on Monday.

Also, out of curiosity I went in the downstairs last night and found I could only hear muffled voices (which is typical in a two-family building) and we warn of the noise possibility in our listing, in the additional terms they must agree to when reserving, in the house manual, and check in instructions.

1 Reply 1
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Traci1 You have a moderate cancellation policy, so the guest will be refunded half of all remaining nights when they cancel. If you've already offered to refund them in full though, I would honour that unless you put a specific time limit on it.

It sounds like the guests just chose a place that wasn't a good fit for them, and should have chose a fully self-contained, stand alone property.