Advice for a reasonable partial refund to a guest for a broken appliance?

Melissa567
Level 2
New York, NY

Advice for a reasonable partial refund to a guest for a broken appliance?

Hi Friends,

I've been renting our mountain cabin for a few years through Air BnB, generally it has gone well.

Our fridge just broke this past weekend, and we have a renter coming up on Friday (it's Sunday.)

We aren't sure we can get it fixed or replaced by the time they arrive. I reached out to let her know she should bring a cooler for the weekend and to apologize. 

She has requested a partial refund.

I agree it is awful, but I didn't want to to cancel as I know the area is tough to find other housing.

Any advice on how to calculate the refund?

thank you!

19 Replies 19

@Melissa567 there really is no standard way to calculate what the refund should be.

For one guest, the refrigerator might have meant almost nothing... just a way to chill water.

For a different guest, the refrigerator might have been critical: they have an ice cream cake that needs to stay frozen until a birthday dinner the next night.

And the difference isn't just limited to differences between guests. For some listings, the guests do little more than sleep in the property at night, while spending the entire day out and about (listings with great location).

For other listings, staying on the property is the reason guests choose the place (the facilities being the key appeal.)

Offer some small but reasonable amount. See what the guest says. Negotiate. Respect each other. If the guest is reasonable, hopefully you can reach a number that equally pleases and displeases both parties.

Hi @Matthew285 --  thank you - Yes, you are correct - as they are travelling far to get to our place, I'm sure cooking out of a cooler is not ideal.

I'd like to come up with something that supports the need for them to purchase a cooler, and makes them feel liek tehre is still value in our beautiful veiws and home.

thanks for the advice 🙂

@Melissa567 now that I think about it, since you do have *some* time before the guest checks in, you might be able to get a reasonably priced refrigerator up to your cabin before the guest arrives. It might not be as fancy as your regular one, but it will do the job.

Spending money on a backup refrigerator might be a better investment than spending money on a refund you will never get any more value out of.

And then after you repair your main refrigerator, you still have the backup unit.

Lowes is having a sale right now. I had an emergency a few years ago and they had one delivered the next morning.  If it’s a mountain cabin can you get one up here with a UHaul? The new ones aren’t as heavy as the old ones and you’ll be worry free for future guests. Or a large mini fridge for temporary purposes?

That would be my choice unless Sears can fix it quickly. A cooler isn’t a good way to keep food cold enough for a vacation,

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

Can you rent a fridge until you get yours fixed?

@Melissa567

Unless it is a 1 night stay, a cooler isn't a viable option for the guests. If it were my listing, I'd look into finding a mini fridge (new or used or even borrow one from a friend if you can) you could take up yourself and set up/plug in for guest use along with an extra cooler (with ice packs) for them to use (if the fridge is really small) instead of asking the guest to bring (supply) their own. From the guest's shoes, a meager 10% discount isn't much consolation on day 2 or  day 3 when the cooler runs out of ice, beer is warm and you are worried about food going bad so end up eating canned food and instant noodles for the last 2 days.

I think as a host, you owe them the effort to do what you can make their stay as painless for them as possible, instead if just hoping they don't ask for too big of a refund.

If it was me Melissa I would beg steal or borrow one if you can't get a new one by the time guests arrive. Fridge is a basic requirement - don't know what your weather is like but 30c here at the moment. If you put yourself in the guests shoes how would you feel? For me a discount wouldn't cut it - in this day and age not to be able to replace a fridge with 5 days notice even if it is a small counter top one, not acceptable . Please don't take this as negative comment - it isn't - just what I would do if I were you 🙂

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I am with others, and would like to add, best not to even bring up a 'problem' before it is indeed a reality.  Then the whole 'refund' scene need not have had to come up.  I have removed from my hosting vocabulary the word 'refund' btw; too easily said by hosts and too easily abused by guests.

To the matter at hand: They are arriving Friday, you have realistically 4 days to get a smaller, simple 'backup' one  up to your place and bring the one to be fixed back down. Upon arrival, if the backup is small and watching their reaction, you could always say (or mention if not there or they make mention)- 'That is the backup, the regular one just went out a few days ago, thank God we had a backup' - they will then be grateful you had a backup.

Btw, I spend all my kid and college summers in Phoenicia, always think of it with the fondest memories. You have a lovely place. For some inexplicable reason $195 a night (not $150) for 4 people struck a bell with me, considering it is a summer place (limited season).  The instant mention of a refund (by the guest) also struck me odd, have many of your guests given you the impression they are bargain hunters? If so, your place may be priced too low.

@Melissa567    I'm with everyone else – a new fridge is in order, if possible. I personally would not have asked guests to supply a cooler, (I would have purchased it myself).  Pointing out problems to guests and/or asking a guest to 'improvise' because you can't provide what you state you offer opens the door to the possibility of  fraught negotiation – better, in my opinion, is that a host hold the reins and give the guest a choice to either accept a refund of the host's choosing and maybe add an extra of some kind: dinner, cocktails, whatever,  or cancel.  I know that will sound off to some hosts,  but unfortunately there are guests who will see an opening like this to find more to complain about, ruin your rating, even an opportunity to claim a free vacation after they leave.  Here's hoping your guests are not like that and they are reasonable and fair-minded people.

Melissa567
Level 2
New York, NY

Hi Everyone -

Thank you for the advice and input. While getting a full sized fridge chosen, purchased and delivered to the mountain this week wasn't in the cards, we found a sweet little one that will do the trick.

I've asked my husband to label them in as friendly a way as possible and I've let the guest know that all is well.

@Fred13thank you for the kind words.

We will not be there when the guests arrive, but I do think that my friend who helps me take care of the house will be able to make it right with a bottle of wine and flowers on the new little fridge.

Thanks everyone

Good show @Melissa567, nice touch on the bottle of wine.  ;).

Nice touch! Well done!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

One word: AJMadison!

Leslie275
Level 2
Portland, OR

A bottle of wine and fresh flowers on top of the new charming little fridge is a great idea. 

As someone who has been in the hospitality biz and owned my own biz, never bring up issues that have not yet occurred for your guests. For some folks it's cool for others it sets off alarm bells. As Fred said, bargain hunters will take advantage. 

Take a day or a few hours to figure out your plan before including guests in the problem. 

Looks like things have turned out well. 

I rented a house in Phonecia for years when I lived in NYC, it's a magical place. I miss it.

-Leslie