Advice for overlapping listings- anyone with 1 bed or 2 bed option (same space +/- extra bedroom)

Advice for overlapping listings- anyone with 1 bed or 2 bed option (same space +/- extra bedroom)

We have a successful 1 bedroom apartment listing- superhost status, lots of great reviews, etc. We have just finished an additional bedroom adjacent to the 1 bed apt, and now want to create a second listing for a 2 bed apartment at a different price. We have a few questions for the best way to do this:

-Should we edit our existing listing, so that our new 2 bed listing has all the reviews and superhost status, and make a new listing for the 1 bed option?

-Is there a way to add a link on each listing to the other listing, (i.e, "want more space? see our 2 bedroom option here:")

- Is the multicalendar reliable? We can't mistakenly get double-booked because the spaces overlap!

Any input is greatly appreciated! 🙂

9 Replies 9
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Just make it simple or you will run into ploblem so I would work it in. Super host price should Be included

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

To make sure I understand: You have a 2BR apartment, only one room of which was available previously, and now guests can book one room or both? And only one group of guests at a time?

Keep the existing reviews on the original listing. Get new reviews on the new listing/space. Your reviews will still show on the new listing as "reviews from other properties".

Yes, you can link to your other listing. Guests can also click on your profile to see your other properties.

The multi-calendar seems to work well within the Airbnb space - just make sure they're linked so one calendar will block the other when booked. Problems seem to come up when synching to other listing services.

Debra481
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi I wondered if you had a successful solution to this, as I want to do the same thing by adding the option of another room and bathroom. So far I have had 2 bookings and they were both under the impression that the price was for the whole apartment including both rooms. Do you know if there is a tutorial on how to list an apartment like this?

@Debra481 You need to create two seperate listings, one with one bedroom and one with two bedrooms, and link the listings together so the calendars can't be booked by different guests at the same time. See How do I link Airbnb calendars for multiple listings? - Airbnb Help Center on how to do this. 

Alternatively, you could just add a charge on your listing for extra people, and make it clear in your description and when you accept or acknowledge the booking that if more than X people book they will get two rooms and an extra bathroom. Honestly, I think that could cause problems though: I would just create two listings. 

Thank you so much for replying, I have made 2 listings, and will just have to be sure they dont get double booked! Appreciate your help!

@Debra481 “So far I have had 2 bookings and they were both under the impression that the price was for the whole apartment including both rooms.”

When guests are searching, they will be perusing and inquiring about many listings at once. Therefore it’s easy to get details confused. I see you have two separate listings for each room, which is a good way to approach what you’re doing, but you have pictures of both rooms in the one listing, and make references to different rooms as well. I believe this is adding to the confusion.

You should make each listing only about that one particular room, and only mention the existence of an additional room, “which will be empty and inaccessible during your stay.” You need to be able to lock the room that isn’t to be accessed by the guest. 

Have a look at my profile and compare  my two listings as I do the same thing you’re doing, but you’ll see what I mean about making them very distinct from each other in the descriptions and photos, etc. 

If you want people to be able to book the entire space with both en-suites available to them, then create a third listing as such.

Debra481
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks for your input. So I eventually made 2 listings, one for a 1 bedroom option, and another for a 2 bedroom option. Will have to just be on top of things and make sure they don't both get booked at once! So far I haven't had any enquiries.

@Debra481  I think you missed my posting: see  How do I link Airbnb calendars for multiple listings? - Airbnb Help Center on how to link the calendars so you don't get double booked. 

Hi, thank you, I thought I had done that, but I'll double-check. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing. Still no takers anyway. Business is extremely slow, I'm about to take on a tenant instead!