Advice needed on how to deal with an unhappy guest (details inside)

Dan255
Level 1
Irvine, CA

Advice needed on how to deal with an unhappy guest (details inside)

Hello,

In short: my guest arrived on Tuesday. My co-host greeted and handed the key to my guest. Later that day, it was brought to my attention -- via a phone call -- that my guest was unhappy because I didn't provide 2 sets of keys (so that his girlfriend could roam freely). We agreed that I would send the extra key ASAP via mail (I'm 30 miles away from the destination). When I arrived at UPS (~6:30PM PST), I was told that the key wouldn't get to its destination in 1 day, but 2 (Thursday, not Wednesday). The cutoff for next-day delivery was 5:30PM PST. I tried to get in touch with my guest via Airbnb messenger (waited 30+ minutes for a response) to see if the delay on obtaining the key would be OK. Because I never got a response, I went ahead and sent the key via UPS priority mail.

He called me today (Wednesday), extremely frustrated with this situation. I told him I did the best I could do, which is in fact very true.

Driving isn't too much of an option, as I'm currently in Hollywood, CA and getting to the destination would take ~2.5 hours during rush hour. My guest claims that I should've opted to do this. As a working individual, it was not feasible to travel for ~3-5 hours after work.

My argument: I tried to communicate with my guest (via Airbnb messenger) 3 days prior to his arrival, to which I never got a response. Such a matter could've been addressed before he arrived. Instead, I reacted as swiftly as I could by getting to UPS immediately after work.

Question: my guest would like me to offer him a free night or payment for this mishap. Am I in the wrong here? Is this what I need to do?

Thank you.

17 Replies 17
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

In your case you have to plan ahead even for the little things we as Host have to be way ahead then the guest as far as keys in my place I have four sets why when you have depending how many guest you allow some time gust that come 2 or 3 and more they intend to do diffent things on there own or so pose one is too tired and don't want to mess it up for the rest of them guest they are with people are funny that's all Iam saying  

@Dan255    No you do not have to give them a free night or any discount – it's really up to you whether you do so. In my opinion they should have asked you or the co-host beforehand or at the least on checking-in .  I only ever give one set of keys unless asked for more sets, but it's easier for me, I live here. Guests who have wanted two sets have always asked me before they arrive.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Dan255 i think  ur guests been little bossy and intitled 

you should not give them anything free i join @Ange2 opinion it is not mandatory to give 2 sets if he wanted 2 sets he should have asked previous to their arrival 

I offer 1 set of keys myself as building where i am located have special keys and  security system 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

LOL.  

What an ingrate.

Sometimes, we must rely on the Airbnb philosophy. Live as the locals live.

I've worked in LA. It is a great imposition to travel 30 miles!  The unsophisticated think its 30 minutes, but it ain't.

Do not give him a discount. You've completed your part of the  bargain - he got an apartment with a key.  You even tried  to appease him.  Guest could have gone to Home Depot and got a copy made. He could have hid the key for his mate.

Assume that he is going to leave you a bad review. Even if you give him a discount he would leave you a bad review. Why reward him for his bad review?

Often a good offense is the best defense.

In your review state  "Guest put me on the spot with a difficult request. "

That way, if his review is unreasonable, people can see that he is being spiteful.

Good luck

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

Differences in expectations between guest and host are always hard to handle.  @Dan255, unless your listing stated that each guest would get their own key, you are under no obligation to provide a second set. It seems they have already guilted you into going above and beyond what is required, when you arranged to have a set of keys mailed to them. Surely the two guests could sort it out among themselves how to coordinate their comings and goings! I agree with those above who said that even a partial refund at this point is unlikely to prevent them giving you a less-than-stellar review, but there is little you can do about that. Chalk it up to an uncomfortable learning experience and move forward.

You may also want to consider switching to a keypad lock. I have one that gets re-programmed to a new code for each stay. I have yet to regret the investment.

Hi @Isabel203 which keypad do you use? We are in the process of researching this now. Thanks!

I highly recommend installing an August lock system which allows guests to enter via access code. Each guest gets a unique code that expires when they leave, providing extra security for your home and guests. It can also be controlled by your mobile phone. Only downside is that it needs battery changes about once a month which I have my housecleaner do. Your mobile phone will notify you when batteries need changed. 

Hi @Dean-and-Shanna0

glad to hear you're having good luck with the August home keypad.  We are researching this option now and that one seems like a good option. 

I have been using the August Keypad and have had nothing but trouble. The Keypad is in a covered area, but subject to twinter temperatures around freezing occasionally. Alkaline batteries last 3 or 4 days, then die. Rechargable NiCad batteries last about 3 days also. I am making one last attempt with Lithium batteries which have better power reliability in the cold they say. I have already ordered the return labels for the August lock, connect and keypad when (if) this battery option also fails.

@Brian411, you should let the August lock people know about the trouble you are having with the keypad!

We use one, but it is indoors. It does seem like the August lock keypad is designed more for use in warm and protected areas. If the keypad cannot work reliably in the cold, the August design team should know, and the marketing people need to warn potential customers.

I have installed the Yale lock. I'm very pleased with this lock. Battery changes are every 3 months just to be safe. I'm able to programn new codes remotely with software. I never use the same code twice. Every guest (room) has a unique code, so I have a log of who's coming in when.

Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

I agree with the hosts who stated that you do not owe them.  They should have asked for second set prior to arrival.   Also keypad is the way to go if you can do that for future.  We are in the process of researching different ones now. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dan255

I only provide one set of keys per room (which accommodates up to two people), but then I host in my own home, so maybe that's less of an issue. It's never been a problem for me as it's so seldom that guests ever need an additional one. However, I could run down to the local hardware store and get extras cut and back to the guest within half an hour if necessary. In your situation, it would be good to have a back up. Keypad sounds great, but make sure this won't invalidate your home insurance!

I don't think the guest is entitled to any kind of refund for this unless it was something you promised in advance, i.e. on your listing. The guy sounds like a pain in the backside.