Advice please: Guest wants a full refund after staying for 8 days due to cleanliness issue

Advice please: Guest wants a full refund after staying for 8 days due to cleanliness issue

Hi All, I have a guest who just checked out today after 8 days of stay. I am surprised when I got a request from him today (after he has checked out) asking for a full refund due to minor cleanliness issues. 
If he had contacted me during his stay, I would definitely have sent my cleaners again to clean the place or fix any issues that he was facing. Before replying to his request, I would like to ask for advice on how to deal with this situation. Will Airbnb force me to provide a full refund?

33 Replies 33
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@TheMelbourneHome0  This guest sounds like a total scammer. He just wants a free stay. It was clean enough for him to stay for his entire reservation, and never mention any problems, but it's only not clean enough until after he leaves? Ignore him and stand your ground.

That said, you have a 4.5 cleanliness rating and a few reviews that mention that the place needs some TLC. I'd be paying attention to that if I were you.

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

This is a easy one as far as I am concerned, if he had any issues with the cleanliness he should have said something shortly after the stay started, the fact that he didn't say anything for 8 days shows that it must not have been to bad if he was able to stay there for that long. I wouldn't refund him a dime, and maybe even say something in his review about him trying to scam you, because that was what he was basically doing. 

@TheMelbourneHome0 

MINOR cleanliness issues did not prevent the guest from staying 8 days or even bringing up the fact there was a problem DURING the stay....... so imo this deserves no refund whatsoever. Seems like a total scammer. If it were me, I'd contact Airbnb first to report a potential scam and make it very very clear this guest does not deserve and should not get a single dime back. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

To be honest, the guest will have to wait his turn to get a reply from Airbnb. Apparently phone support is no longer there. But do not offer anything. After 8 days? No.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@TheMelbourneHome0 

I suggest you immediately message him via the Airbnb system to summarise the situation especially if his request was not through Airbnb. That way you have a record of events. Finish it with something like

'Had you raised these issues during your stay I could have rectified any problems you feel existed with the cleanliness. Given that you did not give me the opportunity to rectify any perceived issues I am afraid I will not be refunding anything to you.'

Thanks All for your advice, it’s reassuring to know that I am not obligated to provide a full refund. 
In fact, we have actually just thoroughly cleaned the place, repainted the walls and steam cleaned the carpets prior to his stay, due to those recent comments. His complaint was around a minor stain in the kitchen, which the cleaner may have missed; and the external windows which are beyond our control. 
He also complained that the pool and gym are closed but that’s because of the government direction due to the Covid situation. 

@TheMelbourneHome0   Under normal circumstances, a partial rebate would be advisable when an inclusive amenity is not functional or accessible to the guest. For example, if your building's pool and gym were featured in the listing but closed for repairs, you might offer a 10-20% "disappointment discount."

But for the guest to complain that he couldn't use the facilities because the government ordered them closed is ludicrous. This is no more in the host's control than the weather, and you wouldn't demand a refund for a beach holiday after you complete your stay because it was raining.

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

@Anonymous   'You wouldn't demand a refund for a beach holiday after you complete your stay because it was raining . . . unless you were an Airbnb guest."

There, fixed it for you!   🙂

@Brenda328   There's too much of that going around, for sure. But I've worked in just about every major kind of hospitality imaginable over the years, and I've never found Airbnb guests to be any more entitled or unreasonable than customers you encounter in other services. Usually quite the contrary, despite all the horror stories you hear on here.

You've hosted hundreds yourself - is that the way you'd depict the majority of your own past guests?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@TheMelbourneHome0 

I also totally agree with @Jessica-and-Henry0 . The sooner you message Airbnb to report what is a scam or at least VERY unfair behaviour the better. To be the first to contact Airbnb MIGHT help out longer term.

After this just sit back and see how it goes unless others have any ideas. Sadly be prepared for a bad review and consider very carefully how to respond as this will either make the problem appear worse for future guests or shut down the issue. Depending what they say in their review you may be able to get it removed but don't hold out too much help.

How do you report it as a scam? I feel that I have the same situation.  False claims after a 6 day completed stay where the guest said nothing to me nor AirBNB but has requested a full refund?

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@TheMelbourneHome0 

You should get to know this policy like the back of your hand

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/guest_refund_policy

8 days refund is for a problem in the first 24 hours and the guest vacates.

Reject the claim as meritless, without prejudice

Oh I wasn’t aware of this policy. Thanks Elena for letting me know.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@TheMelbourneHome0 

Ouch - I've just looked at your response to a previous guest Richard. 

'As agreed, I have gone ahead to provide you with a refund although it is not within Airbnb policy to do so, as we prioritise the comfort of our guest above all things.' 

I am afraid you have just opened up yourself to further refund demands coming thick and fast... I am not sure if you can remove/edit your comment but suggest you do if you can!