Advice re Guest and refund

Annie638
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Advice re Guest and refund

Hi

I just had the worst guest I have ever had (I've been lucky as so far all have been lovely) and I am in dispute with the contact centre over a refund a case manager has agreed to giver her a refund.  I complained about it to another advisor who said he agreed that the guest had been manipulative and dishonest, should not have a refund, was very surprised by the case manager's decision because he said I had been a great host and had clearly gone out of my way to be helpful (I supplied screen shots of all our text messages). Also the previous case manager didn't even inform of what my guests complaints were, nor did her ring me or message me to tell me about his decision. 

I rang today again and was told it is being handled by the trip department. Can anyone advise how I can complain about the original case manager / speak to his supervisor and get this matter dealt with quickly. It has all been very upsetting and no doubt she will also give me a bad review, on top of my losing money and it being an extrememly strssful experience,

5 Replies 5
Annie638
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Update...justice! I got a new case Manager who has refunded me the money and agreed that the guest acted incorrectly and will be asked to return her refund. If she doesn't she may be blacklisted as a guest. Faith restored in the contact centre!

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

I'm very sorry to hear of your predicament @Annie638 , Without further details its hard to understand how you were put in your situation but fortunately the text evidence trail seems to have saved you.

It seems you have been on the receiving end of a "Good cop, Bad cop" situation and if you hadn't been persistent in resolving your dispute you may well have had to shoulder the financial and emotional burden. Just how did you manage to get through to another advisor?

I also wonder how likely the guest will be to refund their refund, or even if AirBnb will actively pursue it?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 thank you! Yes she was playing the system. I rang the contace centre and spoke to a sensible chap who took the time to read all the evidence and saw straight away the game the guest had been playing, but the case went back to the original case manager who just sat on the case for three days so I rang and demanded to speak with his supervisor. It was then allocated to another case manager. Guess it was persistence. If that hadn't happened I would have deactivated my account permenantly. 

Yes it would have been a big blow financially but the emotional impact of the sense of injustice would have probably been the bigger blow, especailly as the guest had remarked, when I said to her I wasn't prepared to lie toairbnb about her having a personal issue so they altered her booking, that the world would be a better place if everyone behaved like that and also remarked about how kind I was. I won't go into all the ins and outs of the whole saga, but she really was being very manipulative. All to save herself some money. She changed her arrival date at the last minute , so she could attend a social event she'd forgotten about, which cost her £100 so she can't be that hard up. 

I doubt very much she will repay the money now she has got it. Airbnb will give her 48hours they said. I would have thought it will affect her ability to use airbnb again though. Or perhaps people can just set up new accounts..not sure how easy that is?

@Annie638 I'm glad it has worked out in your favor, but it doesn't sound like either case manager has handled the matter well. It shouldn't be left up to the guest to decide whether you get the money back, especially when the guest only got the refund because Airbnb flubbed it. IMO Airbnb should take this one out of their own pocket.

Annie638
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Andrew,

I see what you are saying and the guest was playing the system and was dishonest, so that is the reason they have asked her to return the money. If she doesn't then airnbnb will cover it but there needs to be xome come back for the guest because if all guests behaved as she did the airbnb system would struggle to function. I think the contact centre person is going to lose his job, which I would prefer he didn't but it was so obvious what the guest was doing, from all the screen shots of the text messages between us he should have spotted it immediately.