Advise for Air BnB

Advise for Air BnB

Hi my name is James.  I have a few suggestions for the Air BnB team.  Please set a minimum price per square foot.  Prices are too low.  Set the lowest possible price point at the average price per square foot for hotels within the region.  Use this as an advertising tool. It's the price but better! It's the same price as a hotel except it with so much more ie often a full kitchen access and better parking or whatever.. Require hosts to make breakfast in order to host. It's part of the name so its an expectation by guests or at least part of the thought. Run a commercial comparing the quality and features of an air bnb vs like a super 8 lol.. I have never seen an add from you guys.. I'm ready to see you guys max out. Somehow you guys should buy Turo or start your own car rental service.   Immigine getting the car rental taken care from your Air BnB host.

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @James1277

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about 🙂

If you want to talk to the Airbnb team you need to contact them directly. You are on a forum for hosts and guests not monitored by them.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@James1277 Uh, no, I don't agree that Airbnb should force hosts to provide breakfast. The day they do that is the day I quit hosting. I don't offer it, nor do my guests expect it. They get coffee or tea. I live in a beach tourist town with hundreds of restaurants and food stands to choose from. My guests aren't the least bit interested in sitting around having breakfast at home- they want to go out for breakfast and hit the beach. If I bought breakfast food, it would end up going bad and being thrown away. For those few guests who prefer to eat in, they have full use of my kitchen and are quite happy with that.

The last kind of advice I want to see Airbnb given is "forcing" hosts to provide this or that. As long as we are clear on what we provide and the guest agrees to that, there's zero problem.

And Airbnb can barely manage their own hosting platform adequately- the last thing they need is to start renting cars or anything else.

As for basing pricing on square footage, that's absurd- my guest room/ bathroom is quite small but well-appointed, cozy and artistically designed and my guests love the space. Why should a huge ugly, boring room be priced higher?

Although I am pretty new to hosting, none of my guests so far have shown any interest in breakfast in my cabin.  I don't prepare breakfast, but I have some items that can easily be prepared by them if they want it.  They have all gone out and left the breakfast items.  None of it spoils, so that helps.  It is my understanding from doing a lot of reading, that breakfast by the host isn't really the norm any longer.  I think a true BNB offers a luxury breakfast and in many cities/towns, must be permitted much like a restaurant (correct me if I'm wrong on that).  I know it is like that in my town and has put several true BNB's out of business.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

[QUOTE]Require hosts to make breakfast in order to host.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhhh NO!!!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@James1277, what? Firstly, Airbnb doesn't set prices, hosts do. If hosts want to show potential guests how their prices compare to other accommodation in the area, they can go ahead and do so on their listing. Secondly, hosts having to provide breakfast? Do you understand that many hosts actually work on top of hosting? For example, the $50/night I get (which doesn't even include my expenses) is hardly a living wage! I can hardly wait around for my guests in the morning to feed them! Also, in my local government area, hosts who provide breakfast have to pay enormous ongoing fees for food handling licences, regular health department checks, etc. Thirdly, you want Airbnb to run an ad to 'max out'? Do you realise that Airbnb is already worth more than $30 billion, more than all the major hotel chains combined? How much more 'maxed out' do you think they should get? Lastly, you really want us hosts to manage car rentals as well? How do you propose that we do that?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kath9@Pete69@Helen3   Did you check out James' listing?  It speaks volumes. Almost zero listing description, no house rules, photos are well, no comment, and he advertises Free Alcohol in the heading. 

Free alcahol, free breakfast, etc all for $32 a night. Why bother? One would be lucky to break even. I'd easily be losing money at those rates.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No I didn't @Sarah977

Why would I his opening post was confusing enough 🙂

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Sarah977, yes I saw the free alcohol in the title! That is surely inviting trouble!