Advise for interview - local magazine is profiling us and Airbnb

Dominic46
Level 2
Birmingham, AL

Advise for interview - local magazine is profiling us and Airbnb

Hello fellow hosts,

We were recently contacted by a local magazine that is writing an article on Airbnbs in our area. They would like to include us and our listings in their story and ask how the increase in tourism has affected us. I think it would also be important to discuss the benefits of Airbnb to the city, as it is currently not banned, and we would like to keep it that way. Is there a resource for Airbnb that might be able to provide some city wide facts, like how much occupancy tax (collected automatically by Airbnb) is collected and submitted to the city every year? Would anyone have any other recommendations on what we should tout as the benefits, outside of the personal financial return?

Thank you,

Dom

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Dominic46 ,

I personally would not cooperate with such magazine. They can do their own research related to the questions you brought up. Placing your listing in the spots could also have a negative impact. Official tourists industry see Airbnb as a threat to their business. I recently saw similar in my city, a magazine asked for a listing to show as an Airbnb example, nobody wants to cooperate !

Emiel,

Thank you for the advise, we are not in danger of loosing Airbnbs here, yet. But it is a good point to not put a place in the spotlight if the hotel industry was lobbying to shut them down. 

Thank you,

Dom

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Dominic46 , I agree with @Emiel1 ,  this could be a trap. They may ask You all kind of nice things and in the end this turns out to be the start of a campaign to ban airbnbs in Your city.

What would Your advantage be to be featured locally? Locals in general are our enemies.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

There is a reason succesful companies have PR representatives. The media can be vicious and damaging.  

IF you trust this magazine, you can tout the high quality of guests. 

"We've hosted guests from 10 countries - All from without leaving the comfort of our home!"

(Airbnb provides this info to you)

"I've found out so much about other cultures."

"I'm now proud of Alabama, because so many people want to come here..."

"I get to see our wonderful state of Alabama through the eyes of different people..."

"All these guests come from all over to spend money in our little neck of the woods"

Paul i am a true fan of yours..positive comments that can be used in any magazine or local newspaper.

cheers to you again 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I wouldn't expect much of any boost in bookings as a result of doing an interview. People still are gonna use the Airbnb website to find stays. I might be more concerned about creating unwanted attention with burglars. Also I would not want to give tips to would-be hosts who are thinking about getting on Airbnb.