Afghan refugees

Afghan refugees

Wondering if anybody in the SF Bay area has hosted refugees (as advertised by airbnb). Signed up to host just for that reason but growing skeptical that there's anything to this

5 Replies 5
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jake405 

I wonder if anyone anywhere has done it, and if so, what was their experience.

If anyone thinks that any large corporation has anything resembling a conscience they are extraordinarily naive.

I think it’s safe to assume that the motive is free publicity, but I suppose it’s possible that actual human people benefit from the side effects occasionally.

Even theoretically “non-profit” corporations devoted to charitable activities usually manage to rake off 90% or more for “administrative expenses.”

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I honestly would be surprised if the government entities that are involved in assisting refugees would really be utilizing Airbnb for housing, it seems a little too isolated and random, but who knows these days.   

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Probably because your country has taken in so few Afghan refugees? @Jake405 

If you want to help depending on which part of the country you are in, you could speak to your local government to see if they are working with local refugee charities to provide accommodation. Or if this isn't happening in your area, perhaps you could fundraise to support refugees in other parts of the country?

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

SF Bay is too far from Afghanistan , I think...

We have some Afghan refugees here, but they live in a refugee centers. Awaiting deportation. Actually, there is no such a thing "Afghan" nationality, as well. They are different tribes, that hate each other to death. Inside the refugee centers, they are separated in different buildings, surrounded by fences and guards. If you try to keep them all together, they will kill each other. Some people died in the past, after mass riots and fights between those afghan tribes and now they are separated. There is no way to keep them together. They will just fight and attack each other until the death of the last member of the opposite tribe-no matter of his/her gender or age.
The good news is, that my country is not their final destination, because they have nothing to do here-there is no job for them, social services are also limited, because they don't have legal statute. They are trying to reach Germany, France, Norway, Sweden...
Actually, I have no idea how those governments are solving the problem with them. US is just too far. Probably you will never face this problem there. Afghans are just not like the people from Syria, Iran or like the Kurds. They are completely different case.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Dimitar27 

Thanks for that extremely valid point.

Native American tribes are similar in some ways. According to the US government we’re all lumped together in one non-white and category but that doesn’t mean we all agree with that.

There are opposing factions within governmentally recognized tribes as well. I am Cherokee but that includes The Eastern Band, Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, The United Ketoowah Band, the Freedmen as well as an unrecognized Mexican Band and some other obscure outliers that escaped from captivity long ago.

Supposedly we are all “One Nation, One Fire” but rounding us all up and confining us together in a small area would be a VERY bad idea.