After booking, what emails does airbnb send out to the booking guest?

Suy62
Level 2
Kemah, TX

After booking, what emails does airbnb send out to the booking guest?

I'm a host newbie and just got my first confirmed booking after 2 weeks.  I would like to know what emails airbnb send to the guests after the booking is confirmed?  I don't want to send guests the same emails that they would get automatically from airbnb.  My moto is to keep it simple.

So after booking, I know that airbnb send out a confirmation with the booking date and prices.  Is it correct that they will send another email (with house manual, check in / check out info, wifi password, door code, etc.) a week before the guests arrive?  I don't want to email the guests if they are getting the same email from airbnb.  And when the guests check out, does airbnb send them an email to remind them to post a review?

I don't know why airbnb does not explain this since it's important, to me anyway.  I also post my vacation rental or VRBO and they too did not explain it.  Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Suy62 

Weclome to hosting and to the community boards.

I can answer some but not all of your questions.

Firstly airbnb most definitely remind guests about reviewing after they have checked out - several times. They will also remind you as a host

You may or may not want to consider letting your guests know how the star ratings actually work - many guests think leaving you a 4 stars overall is a great thing to do - many do not realise anything less than 5 can be a bit disastrous.   Some hosts think this is less than classy, other's feel it is almost a necessity because of the ridiculous set up of the system. If you search reviews in the search bar of this forum you will get links to lots of threads and opinions

AFter booking airbnb send out an email saying "your reservation is confirmed" with a picture of the listing on the title page, the dates, check in and check out time. The cancellation policy, teh amount they paid , plus the break down.   It also provides this sort of detail... ( the layout has changed in teh cut and paste but you get the idea..)

xxxx is your host    Contact xxxx to co-ordinate arrival time and key exchange.    Message Host

Know what to expect  Make sure to review the house rules and amenities.    Show  House Rules

Customer supportContact our Support team 24/7 from anywhere in the world     Visit Help Centre
Contact   airbnb

Depending on the timing ( eg is the booking is just a few days before checkin) ALL info is provided in the first email, otherwise , I THINK some info is saved to a later email (not absolutely sure about this and the timings, but I'm almost certain that the address of the listing for instance is not shared months out from a booking, just a week before)  

The house manual is also shared, so if you have input the wifi password in there, guests will have access to it, but don't expect for a moment everyone will read the house manual - or the house rules for that matter

HOWEVER  airbnb do not share lock box codes  unless you have the same code for everyone and that is stated in the house manual.  (I think there is a way you can set up automatic messaging to do this also)

If you were planning to have just the one code,  I would strongly advice against it for all sorts of security reasons.

Most hosts change the code between guests. This stops previous guests begin able to gain access at a later date, and also prevents guests gaining access early - it prevents all sorts of difficulties.

Personally I do not rely on the automated messages from airbnb very much at all.

I work from the assumption most guests have read nothing, even if they say they have. ( Of course you can judge this by the sort of message you get at booking or previous to booking depending on whether you are using IB or request to book)

I have IB. I always send a quick welcome, confirm again anything that I think could cause a problem ( in my case no a/c, and older kitchen and bathroom), ask for arrival time or confirm the arrival time if they've already  stated it and tell them I'll be in touch closer to the date with the check in code.   I use this opportunity to ask questions if there's more I need to know, or if I am worried/concerned about anything.      A day or so before I touch base again, send basic directions, check in details, some more basic info.

I have learned that guests who communicate very little are usually trouble.  ( frequency is not the problem, amount of detail is - a guest who says "Hi, see you on the 12th",   has  almost certainly not  read the listing or the house rules and there is probably going to be less than desirable.)

I usually only send two messages. I have them saved as a pro forma and slightly adjust to suit each guest as necessary

Hope this helps.

Other hosts may have more specific advice re timing of address etc

ps something I have found very useful to do is look at my listing in incognito mode and go to book (without actually going through with the booking). insightful. For instance you see how buried the house rules are and begin to understand why so few guests read them

I have once used someone's else's account to book my place well into the future.  I can then see what the guest sees -with messaging from airbnb.  I then cancel ( within the free cancellation period). Also insightful. 

Suy62
Level 2
Kemah, TX

Thanks @Rowena29  for the explanation.  I really appreciate it.  

Rich-and-Susan1
Level 2
Bridgewater, MA

I am relatively new to hosting (2 years) but new to the boards. I created some message templates that I use all the time. I have a vacation rental in the mountains so guests need to know different things in different seasons. After I get a confirmed booking, I send one of my saved messages thanking them, giving them a few details about my listing, and a reminder to read and accept the house rules. A day before check-in I send another message with the lockbox code and reminders about the listing. I also include my cell number again so they can reach out if needed.

Good luck!

Susan