Agreeing a single issue for the current HAB (Host Advisory Board) Rep to take to the Exec.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Agreeing a single issue for the current HAB (Host Advisory Board) Rep to take to the Exec.

To get the ball rolling if we were to ask for one issue to be taken to the Exec on our behalves (by the already appointed HAB Rep) we have the prospect of a confirmation coming back that the issue will be addressed and within what timescale.

I've asked as to when the next Exec Meeting is but if we assume its imminent we could timetable our Resolution(s) to predate the Execs and get a system of communication going. It so happens that several Members have raised an issue that a few of us agree we would like to see changed. Details to follow.

Given that the HAB are rotating their Reps may be it would be useful if we put forward  alternating names to co-ordinate between us the issue(s) we agree we would like prioritised and taken forward one at a time by the HAB Rep to the Exec meetings.

11 Replies 11
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

The issue that a few of us were agreed over (that perhaps we could request go, via HAB, to the Exec) was raised by @Ann72 in a post entitled "Guest Count"   ... @Ute42@Ken113 ,  @Lawrence0 , @June238 ,@Lee386 , @Cathie19  @Lee386 @Mary996 were in accord over this and maybe @Dale711  and @John5097 this might appeal to you as well ....On the 13/2/21  .. @Branka-and-Silvia0 suggested the Guest count - which appears on the form when Guests are booking, be reset to zero, from one, so Guests have to be specific about the numbers booking. If we chose just one thing in addition to the list you raised  @Helen3 might this work @

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0   as ...a limited number that once determined (what would help the host community the most) these few issues would be worked until they were realised ....

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The first thing I would like Airbnb to really think about and do is: 'Honor thy contract'.

Allowing guests to circumvent the host's cancellation policy in a most whimsical manner and such decisions are decided by who knows who, is to me and I think others the singular most disgusting practice that Airbnb thoroughly abused throughout 2020. They are still doing it.

It shows a lack of spine and maturity on their part, where pandering to the lowest denominator (the lying or irresponsible guest playing the victim) is sacrosanct and must be placated at all cost. Which oftentimes also leads to guests not being held responsible about anything else even if they do stay, which is another but related subject.

Newsflash to Airbnb: There is still a significant segment of the world that values trustworthiness. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi Fred, Thanks for this impassioned plea. Would you  for the sake of getting one item processed... to create the prospect of success ...be willing to support the suggestion already made ???

Of course. The default '1' number when making a reservation allows the opportunity by the guest to 'act stupid' vs. forcing them to make a clear declaration. It also serves to misinform as to the real price of a stay with listings that do have a progressive price based on the amount of guests that will be indeed coming.

I do believe however that Airbnb fundamental issues should be presented first. Otherwise, Airbnb will throw small bones to small issues and claim 'We are listening'. 

The big issues are:

1. The 'Cancellation Game' on their part.

2. The Host Guarantee total mess.

3. The low quality of CS personnel who nowadays come across as a human 'answering service' no better than an auto machine.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi Fred

I totally agree with you @Fred13 on what the big issues are!! In fact they're enormous!!!! (Especially number 3 which, like you, I'm very worked up about. Also about the fading Host Guarantee for which I think we're going to need alternative strategies). Plus whatever the group decides  ....BUT what I was really hoping to achieve was a trial run of the PROCESS we are potentially putting in place. There is a new Representative for this month (and there will be a new Rep each month) who doesn't really have great command of English but he is sincerely wanting to help. I just thought that if we chose a simple issue that already had support (as there was in the thread that Ann created, with the idea of changing to a default of zero coming from Branka-and-Silvia.. in order as you say to encourage Guests to make clear declarations (very well put thanks!!))  then we might have  initial success and might, through this trial means of operating,  be able to advance the more important issues....rather than getting caught up in the cogs and floundering in the mire of protracted argument at the start and get nowhere at all. Not least because we have no avenue of communication in place.  I entirely appreciate your suggestion that we put weight into the thorniest issues but what do you think about the idea of trying to create a pathway for communication first? Of course it will depend on the Hab Rep being receptive but how about we try to advance SOMETHING /anything at this point since  as others have pointed out its been three months already. Why don't we try to make a single request of the exec (through this month's Hab Rep) and see if we can have success with that  (or as @Bez8 likes to say ... go for the low hanging fruit)???? What do you think Fred? Just to clarify ... there is no procedure in place for us to be heard currently. I'm trying to get something going . At present the members of the HAB are meeting amongst themselves with their own individual agendas and making plans without our input. Given they are a large group who are themselves Hosts they could be said to be representative of us as a population and thats possibly where things might be left....but I'm keen that we enable ourselves to offer them point by point feedback and by talking through between ourselves things on here, as we're doing, with the objective of coming up with constructive proposals, we arrive at powerful solutions.... these could then be passed on via the different Hab Reps each month until we achieve success through the long haul in having better dialogue with the Exec.

Anyway @Fred13 I acknowledge your wish to present the weightier points do you recognise the wish to have a pathway for communication to operate so that those points can be presented? And to carve a way  we run a trial route first?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0 , @Inna22 , @Sharon1014 

Hoping you might consider supporting this motion of taking one item along to the Exec (via the HAB Rep)... as much as anything to try out the process and to give it the best chance of success. Its a matter that came up in one of Ann's posts that we all (on that thread) agreed with. xx

@Mary996  Bonjour

For the « internal » organization of the HAB, I have to trust them to work with efficiency.

As a host and traveler, I definitely support all what @Fred13 said.

When this point will be solved, Airbnb will be a safer and trustable website.

@Mary996 

When professional hosts (hotels and cottages) says they cannot work with Airbnb because they cannot rely on it, it means that there is a serious matter.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This community group only represents a small percentage of hosts. I don't think it would be fair that issues for discussion are based on suggestions from a handful of hosts here in the group . @Mary996 

Airbnb have host surveys and other data. They had a forum where hosts could make suggestions - which they removed and never took any actions based on suggestions.

Never in the five years I have been a host have they ever used host feedback or any analysis of problems raised by hosts with customer services to address common problems or change policies/T&Cs. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Mary996 my bigger issue is not the initial head count. I do not charge for extra guests and do not need to do anything special to prepare for a specific number. My bigger issue is guests not considering day visitors "guests", booking for 10 but expecting 20 more and thinking it is not a big deal because they are not spending the night. Therefore, this change will not solve it.

My biggest problem is CS and us not being aware of known bugs that effect our accounts. I am currently bleeding hundreds on a tech bug of my host fee being set at 15%.

I do not think you will ever get all of us to agree on one issue. I also do not think only one issue should be brought forward. It is the wrong way to negotiate. You bring three, settle on one. It seems like a lot of running around and time wasting for a tiny change. These people are elected to HAB, we discuss them, we discuss issues, they have meetings... and they bring back a button reset to zero? I did not expect very much from this council but this is a really low bar. Think about it- we have one big chance to appeal to exec and we are asking for .... drum roll... a guest count reset!

I would say, this should be three issues, one major and a couple easy to solve- like this headcount or number of pets in the count with an option to charge (not my personal issue but I am being a good team player here :)).

If we must pick one- just make an executive decision or let whoever is the HAB member pick one based on what they are passionate about

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I hear you @Inna22 and really appreciate what you're saying. I too would like to reach for the big issues. Its just that at the moment we haven't successfully created a pathway for communication at all and there isn't any formal route at the moment. However there is a prospect.  I don't want to overwhelm the young man who is 'taking the lead' this Month in the HAB group as English is not his first language and his heart lies with issues in the Hispanic community.  Given there is not a formal link for communication  I'm trying to see if we can make it into one!!! (Pushy I am....!!! Xxx). So we could sit back and hear report-backs from a remote set to whom we listen but can't reply, or, we could slip in through the gap and have a teeny tiny super low bar issue (!!! love that!!!)  but one that allows some dialogue to begin....!!! And furthermore one that a non native English speaker can cope with that is fair to him and which doesn't lose too much import if slightly misrepresented.   I am right with you Inna in that in due course we will be debating the significant issues and I am also really delighted to see them being identified and repeated here so clearly and eloquently and to note the accord between us as a disparate group (with a strong commonality) agreeing on what these are. xxxxxxxx