Air Cover

Theresa556
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Air Cover

Is anyone else having a terrible time with Air Cover?  Or any tips for successfully getting an answer or update? 

Some guests had a party at my property (over two months ago) and did thousands of dollars worth of damage.  I submitted all of the information requested -- photos, invoices, etc.  Airbnb's own website says that turnaround time is usually nine days.  I have zero updates and literally cannot even find someone to talk to me and share a status update.  Every Friday I get the same email: "Sorry I've been away from my workstation.  Your case is still under review.  Thanks for your patience."  I lost patience 30 days ago. 

I finally called the superhost line this morning, and they couldn't give me any information.  They couldn't even transfer me to the claims department because "they only communicate over email."  What??  

I have no information and seemingly no way to get information.  Has anyone else actually had Air Cover work for them?  And if so, how long did it take?  And is there anyway I can get a status update?  

Thanks!!

15 Replies 15
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Theresa556 - sorry to hear about your experience.  I'll escalate this with the team and see if we can get you some assistance.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Theresa556
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I just received a message from a support person, but all they provided is instructions on how to file a claim. Which I did 60 days ago. They did not give me any helpful information or a status update on my open claim. And my contact within the claims department continues to ignore my emails asking for an update. 

Literally, the only reason that I continued to use Airbnb was the host guarantee which I am also having a very difficult time with. Vague emails asking for invoices before I hire reairds for rooms that stay empty because of severe damage. I’ve been a host bringing in over 300,000 a year for over half a decade and longer, and they are refusing to pay for a $2000 refinish of a floor that was completely destroyed by guest who created a construction workshop in the room. He also sent pictures of the workshop himself!! What a joke.

This makes me have no problem going offsite after one month of somebody’s stay, with the Los Angeles 30 day minimum, in the future with a deposit instead of relying on the guarantees that are misrepresented, misleading and frankly, a classic bait and switch tacti (the legal term).   If they are not going to be there for us, there is simply no reason to use Airbnb. Period. 

Theresa556
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Another response from support that is not helpful and not what I’ve asked for (an update). Basically, “keep waiting” and don’t contact us because the thread is closed. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Did you get a resolution to this? has anyone thought of emailing the Global Director personally.. Has anyone won on small claims court against them ?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Theresa556 

Wow, I would like a dollar for every time I have read this sort of complaint over the years. It seems like every year new promises spring out of the ether in the guise of Host questionnaires and  representative panels and more recently the  Host Advisory Board. I am sure the members of the Host Advisory Board put their heart and soul into what they do.....but they can only advise, they can't make decisions.

Most recently we are told that Airbnb have listened to us, they understood our concerns about the Resolution Centre and the Host Protection Scheme, its impractical reporting guidelines and outcome shortcomings and they are taking action and turning over a new leaf with .... Aircover. Out with the old, in with the new!

As you have found out Theresa, it seems like this is just another exercise in shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic! Despite statements from above, we keep on seeing these same problems over and over and over again! 

What Airbnb do not seem to realise, a host making a guest complaint is a serious issue, we don't take it lightly and it is generally a last resort when personal attempts at resolution have failed.

A guest has nothing to lose by lodging a complaint......a host has heaps to lose!

We know as soon we lodge a complaint we get the guest offside and guarantee ourselves a bad review at the very least. We then have to go through the hassle of supplying supporting evidence to back up our claim. Why would we do that if the basis wasn't genuine and the complaint didn't at least require investigation? Why is it that the guest who is new to Airbnb, has used them 3-5 times is to be believed before that Superhost host that has supported Airbnb for 7 years and has 500+ 5 star reviews? 

There is just no logic to the way Airbnb resolutions work. Airbnb will lose an 8 listing, hundreds+ review Superhost and have to deal with dozens of subsequent reservation cancellations simply because they chose to side with one bogus guest complaint!

From a hosts point of view, it's better not to be told something with such fanfare in the first place.....than to find out the hard way and be disappointed then when the outcome doesn't match the rhetoric!

When we started hosting with Airbnb I was told my property insurance was my first priority in the event of a claim and Airbnb were simply there as a backup if there was a problem. At least it was partially honest in those days. Now we are told that Airbnb has us covered and many hosts believe that and end up in the situation that @Neeraj20 and other hosts on similar threads have found out. The guest says jump and Airbnb jumps........on the host!

Ade and I have a great relationship with Airbnb, 500+ hosting stays and a dozen or so stays as a guest. We have that great relationship because I have never lodged a damage claim with Airbnb against a guest.....I have never given them the opportunity to let me down. We have ourselves insured for damage above a certain policy excess and I am prepared to wear damage below that amount by building it into my listing price. We play the law of averages.........It's a necessary cost of doing business.

I expect nothing from Airbnb except to keep sending us guests and keep paying us....and to this point over 6 years, it has worked well.

So sorry @Theresa556 you are having such a dreadful time just trying to get some action on this claim of yours. Hopefully, if you keep at it long enough you will have some sort of success, but, learn from this and try to put together a strategy that does not involve Airbnb to protect you from having to go through this again.

Cheers.........Rob

Brilliantly written. I really appreciate it this entire thread and particularly this response.

I am curious how much it hurts our insurance relationship with outside insurers, to put in a claim. I personally had bought renters insurance less than four months ago and do not wish to bring them a $2000 claim this quickly. My experience shows me that that is dangerous and they will drop me, find a reason to, even if it that is not legal. However, with 10 years of posting on Airbnb and my average of claims being so beyond utterly low, I feel it’s fair to demand this from Airbnb or take it to arbitration if they cannot reimburse me as promised.

It’s such classic bait and switch. I’m surprised that there is not already a very large class action suit. They need to re-examine things they are usually a great company.

On another note, has anyone noticed that they used to be able to help you in a very personal way, go through listings take care photos one by one, really do things for you that to me, made me love them. All that is gone. It has become a very impersonal platform and the more they do this the less people will like Airbnb and it will eventually dissolve, just like Facebook, myspace and other more sales oriented platforms. 

Agree with this 100%. I fought with them about a $100, it wasn't even worth my time by the time it was over, but a guest had a pet that made a mess and there was some stuff left on the walls etc.   Really unimpressed with the way it was handled by air b n b. 

Yes. It seems a class action suit is appropriate.

I am in a similar situation. I took on some of the repairs myself, so not looking for reimbursement for that or for the missing bed linens.

But repairing the dishwasher, replacing the [brand new] kitchen countertop and the hours of extra cleaning, I would like reimbursement for.

Nothing but an exhausting and infuriating runaround from Airbnb. The damages I am claiming for ring in at just under C$1000, so I don't want to risk higher rental insurance premiums for such an amount.

Lydia2
Level 2
Mobile, AL

As I wrote earlier, Air Cover is a joke.  I have been haggling with them for months over 3-4 claims and all they do is apologize for my trouble and send me those ridiculous emails.  They also keep asking me for photos and invoices which I have already sent them.  The are completely blowing me off, hoping I will drop it.

We manage 36 properties and bring in some good money but that doesn't seem to make any difference.  I don't like the direction they are going however I like their platform as it is rather user friendly, it's just the claims and Air Cover that is driving me crazy.

Agreed 100% I've been dealing with them for over a month and the exact same thing is happening to me. They keep asking me for documents which I already sent them. They keep confusing my case with others. One of their emails asked me to send them the invoice for the smoke damage repairs when my claim has nothing at all to do with smoke. It is blatantly obvious that they do this so that people give up and they don't have to pay anything. It is honestly shameful. I have been a super host since 2014 and I manage 9 properties on their site. I have brought them in thousands of dollars in profit and this is the way they treat me? They should be ashamed.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Maria1534 ,

I am so sorry that you have been awaiting a response regarding your claim. I have passed your concern to the ABB team. I hope you hear from them soon!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I used to be very hesitant when it came to renting outside of airbnb because I always figured Aircover would take care of any damages. After this experience, I am actively searching for as many rentals outside the app as I can since it's basically the same risk since Airbnb will refuse to cover damages.

To anyone who reads this, do not even bother with the Aircover. It's a complete joke.

Debra48
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I’m just wondering if any of you Superhosts have considered asking for off-platform security deposits. On Super Bowl Sunday I set up a projector for a guest to watch the halftime show. He drug a tree in a heavy ceramic pot across my peg and groove mint condition hardwood floor in order to have a completely unobstructed view and created a 6-ft scratch that couldn’t be spot remedied. I had three hardwood floor people up to look at it. They all concurred that it would never match the rest of the floor if they just treated the scratch. After much typical back n forth nonsense with Airbnb claims, you know they did? Un freaking believable! They sent me a Bob Vila DYI tip sheet on how to fix hardwood floor scratches. After that I had a guest inquiry that I didn’t feel 150% confident about, so I explained I would only accept their reservation if they paid a security deposit off platform. They said they were uncomfortable with that and I graciously accepted their decision and lost a $6000+ booking. No amount of money is worth the hassle of dealing with Airbnb claims!